***2020-2021 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OchemOficionado

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is almost that time of the year again!

Please feel free to share your cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, Major, if you're non-trad, your ECs, etc. and ask and answer questions! Sending good vibes to all!

Dates:
AMCAS Opens - May 4th
Application Submission - May 28th
Completed Applications Transmitted to Medical Schools - July 10 (Moved from June 26 due to COVID-19)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Omg its so wild that I'm actually applying this year. I'm actually taking the MCAT mid august due to the several cancellations this year so i'm a bit nervous about how that'll pan out :/

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hey y'all! Its literally SO crazy that our time has finally come! I am literally so hype for apps to open! As I finalize my school list, I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any schools out there with strong health policy // advocacy opportunities. I've seen a few schools that specifically mention the aforementioned in their mission statements, i.e. Columbia and Mt. Sinai. Anyone know of any other schools that mention these types of opportunities? I am struggling to find this info :-(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ah...it's finally our time. Is it possible to get the amcas application verified without an MCAT score? I'm taking the exam in late June. If it takes a month to verify, I don't want to wait until July to send in my app

ah...it's finally our time. Is it possible to get the amcas application verified without an MCAT score? I'm taking the exam in late June. If it takes a month to verify, I don't want to wait until July to send in my app

Yup, your app can be verified and transmitted without an MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Application opens tomorrow! We can be verified and submit our primary even if our LOR’s aren’t all in by the time we submit right?

Does anyone know how to get to this subforum without using google lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
What’s everyone’s stats bc I’m over here stressing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how to get to this subforum without using google lol

you can watch this thread to receive notifications on the site/app (and just click on the underrepresented in healthcare link at the top of the page since you’re already on this thread) or go to sdn and go to forums and find the underrepresented in healthcare tab

URM- AA, Male, Nontrad (had a whole career in finance and biotech)
Undergrad: State School
Major: biochem and econ
cGPA- 3.84
sGPA- 3.77
MCAT- Taking in June- practice tests ranged from 504 to 520, so it will depend on how I'm feeling that day and which CARS passages I get. lol
Research- Immuno research- 1 publication; Heme-Onc and Derm Onc research- poster presentations; breast feeding research- poster presentation
Clinical Volunteering- 2 years in peds heme onc department at children's hospital; 2 years working with cancer and IBD patients at an infusion center
Shadowing- EM, Rad Oncology, Peds Heme-Onc, Adult Oncology (50 hours)

Last edited:
Sending GoodEnergy to Everyone Out There Applying !! :--) Let's Secure the Bag!

URM: AA, Male
Undergrad: HYPSM
Major: Bio
MCAT: 509
cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.52
Research: Research in Cancer Bio, Behavioral Economics, Immunology, Public Policy - No Publications
Clinical Volunteering: 1 year Assisted Living, Clinic, Shelter
Shadowing: Family Medicine, Surgery, Cardiology, Neurology
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 4 years HS Mentor
Other/Leadership: Multiple LGBTQ Organizations, Freshman Advisor, Health Conference Exec. Leadership, Tour Guide, Pre-Med Society

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
URM: AA, Male (Unicorn), 26, socially disadvantaged, Nontraditional lol
Undergrad: University of Missouri (Mizzou) - Class of 2016
Major: Biology & Psychology
Minor: Multicultural Studies & Spanish
MCAT: 503-507
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: ???

Too lazy to post the rest/don't think it is as important.

Reactions: 5 users
All of ya'll are killin' it!!! We love to see it!:love:

Reactions: 5 users
URM: Hispanic, Male , 29, non-trad
Undergrad: UC
Major: Biology
MCAT:
509 (127/125/129/128)
cGPA: 3.01
sGPA: 3.08
PostBacc GPA: 3.94 (40 units)
Research: 2 years w/ research in pathology, 1 year research in health disparities
Shadowing:
32 hours
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 1 year service for the underserved.
Employment: 1 year of working as an EMT, 1 year and counting as a Medical Assistant.

Good Luck ya'll!

URM- AA, Male, Nontrad, 24
Residence- Washington DC metro area
Undergrad: Associates Program ---> Online Bachelors #RIP
Major: Nursing
cGPA- 3.1x
sGPA- 3.5x
MCAT- Taking 8/1 - Still got 3 months to go, no full lengths taken yet
Research- N/A
Clinical Volunteering- N/A
Clinical Experience- 4000+ hrs as Registered Nurse in a Level 4 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Shadowing- Plastics (20hrs)
Non-clinical Volunteering- 280hrs at a daycare for children with parent who abuse drugs. (Currently trying to do TextCrisisLine for more hours during COVID)
Other/Leadership- Part of a cohort collected data across multiple studies to advocate for better visitation policies within the NICU, Neonatal Surgical and Anesthesia committee, Played violin since 3rd grade(on and off), self-teaching spanish, SNMA member

Last edited:
URM- AA, Female, Nontrad, 23
Undergrad: Top 40 private research institution
Major: Biochemistry
cGPA- 2.6
sGPA- 2.4
SMP gpa: 3.5 all science credits, 1st year, 20 hours (2 year program)
MCAT- Taking 6/28, scoring around 506-510
Research- 1.5 years of research in the Biology department of my school
Clinical Volunteering- ~300 hours of volunteering in assisted care facilities
Shadowing- Dermatology and Internal Medicine- geriatrics
Other/Leadership- Mentor for 3 years to high school students and college freshmen, Worked in my school's library for 3 years, Ran executive team of a Black org at my school for 2 years
Applying to half MD, half DO schools. Nervous due to my low undergrad stats, second time applying. Thoughts on my application?

Last edited:
What are some of your target schools/reach schools?

My state school, Penn State, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, DMU COM, LECOM, UPKYCOM, PCOM, Midwestern CCOM, Marian. I'm applying to about 30 schools, but they're all within that range of low end MDs to DOs.

Hi everyone, I'm curious what your school lists look like/ if any of you are in similar situations??

I can only guesstimate right now because I'm taking the June MCAT and scores come out July 14th (4 days after amcas starts sending out apps to schools). I will submit my AMCAS the first day possible but only have my app sent out to very few schools until I know my real score and make a realistic list. Until then, I'm kinda hoping to learn from everyone here what is reasonable considering my stats and maybe start some outlines for secondaries!

Lizzy 67, Wedge B/borderline C
URM- AA, Female, immigrant, 24, Non-trad?? (graduated 2016)
Undergrad: Top 30 school
Major: Neuroscience, Psych
cGPA- 3.4
sGPA- 3.28 (should be around 3.34 w/ postbac)
Post-bac gpa: 32 credits, 4.0 (8 non-science) but quarter system instead of semesters like my undergrad, weighted less
MCAT- Old score 514 (expired) - retaking in June, practice scoring 519, aiming for 516 (obviously can't do much without a final score)
Research- 2 years on research undergrad, 3 years of research full time - 3 pub., 1 poster at regional conference, won small grant for my own project
Clinical- ~400 hours of enrolling patients into clinical trials in ED, opportunity to shadow in between
Shadowing- Primary Care - 50 hours, was planning on adding more but COVID
Other/Leadership- ~1000 hours for non-profit targeting my immigrant community (helped with health insurance, support for loss of family, translated medical information, educational programs, de-stigmatize mental health ),
Outreach program doing science activities at youth correctional facilities (~100),
volunteering with nonprofits helping with the homelessness crisis~100,
TA for upper level neuro class, admissions associate at my undergrad
President of main mental health club on campus (grew it from $500 budget to $10,000) won campus and national awards,
organized Relay for Life, and had leadership roles in other clubs

Another thing I have a question about is in regards to political volunteering. I was a leader in my college democrats club and have volunteered for campaigns (local and national). I also want to submit my non-science LOR from my criminal justice professor. I just don't want to jeopardize my chances at some schools that may not be in liberal areas. :unsure:

This feels like a lot to write but I could use guidance and encouragement during this process and I hope I can offer some as well! I think I will be more active on sdn now that everything is getting started for real!

Hi everyone, I'm curious what your school lists look like/ if any of you are in similar situations??

I can only guesstimate right now because I'm taking the June MCAT and scores come out July 14th (4 days after amcas starts sending out apps to schools). I will submit my AMCAS the first day possible but only have my app sent out to very few schools until I know my real score and make a realistic list. Until then, I'm kinda hoping to learn from everyone here what is reasonable considering my stats and maybe start some outlines for secondaries!

Lizzy 67, Wedge B/borderline C
URM- AA, Female, immigrant, 24, Non-trad?? (graduated 2016)
Undergrad: Top 30 school
Major: Neuroscience, Psych
cGPA- 3.4
sGPA- 3.28 (should be around 3.34 w/ postbac)
Post-bac gpa: 32 credits, 4.0 (8 non-science) but quarter system instead of semesters like my undergrad, weighted less
MCAT- Old score 514 (expired) - retaking in June, practice scoring 519, aiming for 516 (obviously can't do much without a final score)
Research- 2 years on research undergrad, 3 years of research full time - 3 pub., 1 poster at regional conference, won small grant for my own project
Clinical- ~400 hours of enrolling patients into clinical trials in ED, opportunity to shadow in between
Shadowing- Primary Care - 50 hours, was planning on adding more but COVID
Other/Leadership- ~1000 hours for non-profit targeting my immigrant community (helped with health insurance, support for loss of family, translated medical information, educational programs, de-stigmatize mental health ),
Outreach program doing science activities at youth correctional facilities (~100),
volunteering with nonprofits helping with the homelessness crisis~100,
TA for upper level neuro class, admissions associate at my undergrad
President of main mental health club on campus (grew it from $500 budget to $10,000) won campus and national awards,
organized Relay for Life, and had leadership roles in other clubs

Another thing I have a question about is in regards to political volunteering. I was a leader in my college democrats club and have volunteered for campaigns (local and national). I also want to submit my non-science LOR from my criminal justice professor. I just don't want to jeopardize my chances at some schools that may not be in liberal areas. :unsure:

This feels like a lot to write but I could use guidance and encouragement during this process and I hope I can offer some as well! I think I will be more active on sdn now that everything is getting started for real!

I think putting your political volunteering in your ECs is fine. As long as your non science letter is strong I don’t see an issue with that either.

There’s no point in paying to submit to multiple schools with no score. We can really help you with a list, and know where you’re a competitive applicant, once you have a score. If you’re already verified schools will have your app a day you add them so there’s no rush to take shots in the dark.

I think putting your political volunteering in your ECs is fine. As long as your non science letter is strong I don’t see an issue with that either.

There’s no point in paying to submit to multiple schools with no score. We can really help you with a list, and know where you’re a competitive applicant, once you have a score. If you’re already verified schools will have your app a day you add them so there’s no rush to take shots in the dark.
Okay, thank you!
And yeah, I figured as much. I need to list at least one in order to submit for AMCAS verification so I will list my state school and Howard since I know I will be applying there no matter what. Meanwhile, I will try to focus all my nervous energy towards studying for the MCAT/polishing up my PS for now.

Okay, thank you!
And yeah, I figured as much. I need to list at least one in order to submit for AMCAS verification so I will list my state school and Howard since I know I will be applying there no matter what. Meanwhile, I will try to focus all my nervous energy towards studying for the MCAT/polishing up my PS for now.

What’s the rush? (For schools to receive your incomplete app?)

I’d suggest a throwaway school (Harvard maybe?) incase you aren’t happy with your score so that you’re not a reapplicant at a school you really want to attend.

1. Southern Illinois
2. Loyola
3. Mizzou
4. Wisconsin Madison
5. Wayne State - Detroit
6. Indiana
7. Eastern Virginia Medical School - Norfolk
8. University of Minnesota Medical School
9. Cooper Rowan - Camden
10. VCU - Richmond
11. Carver - Iowa
12. USC Keck
13. Miami
14. UCSD
15. Ohio State University
16. St. Louis University
17. Tulane University Medical School
18. University of Virginia Medical School
19. Medical College of Wisconsin
20. Rosalind Franklin
21. Rush
22. UIC
23. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
24. UCSF
25. Emory

this is my school list in no particular order

Last edited:

Schools that maybe realistic: Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, Sidney Kimmel
DREAM schools I would love to go to but probably wont: Emory, Vanderbilt, Columbia, UVA

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on my chances? I really want some input haha.

I am no expert, but I am thinking.. since you are a re-applicant... what have you changed since your last app cycle? Is there something particular that you could have substantially improved for this upcoming cycle? Did you do that? What is your GPA with the SMP included. Also, do you have non-clinical volunteering? Is your school list balanced? Beyond this, your e.c. involvement looks pretty good in my opinion. However, again, I am no expert. I would ultimately suggest making a WAMC thread so that the experts could help you there. In my experience, they (i.e. Goro, Faha etc.) are very helpful in terms of providing insight !! :--)

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on my chances? I really want some input haha.
Applying with everyone else so no expert either but I wouldn't recommend starting a WAMC thread without a MCAT score. They get kind of pissed when you do and understandingly so since it is hard to give advice without one. Would you say this MCAT is a big improvement over the one you used to apply the first time. Your school list looks reasonable. I would call schools and see how they handle 2 year postbac programs because some might want to see your entire performance before looking at your application. Additionally, look at how schools will handle your undergraduate GPA to make sure you won't be screened out. If you get a 506+, your school list should be fine. You should definitely get into some DO schools at minimum.

Reactions: 4 users
Applying with everyone else so no expert either but I wouldn't recommend starting a WAMC thread without a MCAT score. They get kind of pissed when you do and understandingly so since it is hard to give advice without one. Would you say this MCAT is a big improvement over the one you used to apply the first time. Your school list looks reasonable. I would call schools and see how they handle 2 year postbac programs because some might want to see your entire performance before looking at your application. Additionally, look at how schools will handle your undergraduate GPA to make sure you won't be screened out. If you get a 506+, your school list should be fine. You should definitely get into some DO schools at minimum.
I am no expert, but I am thinking.. since you are a re-applicant... what have you changed since your last app cycle? Is there something particular that you could have substantially improved for this upcoming cycle? Did you do that? What is your GPA with the SMP included. Also, do you have non-clinical volunteering? Is your school list balanced? Beyond this, your e.c. involvement looks pretty good in my opinion. However, again, I am no expert. I would ultimately suggest making a WAMC thread so that the experts could help you there. In my experience, they (i.e. Goro, Faha etc.) are very helpful in terms of providing insight !! :--)
Ok, thank you guys so much for your responses! I will wait for my MCAT scores and then see where that takes my application.

Hey yall! Good luck this cycle, I am attending a public in-state MD school. If you have questions, feel free to let me know! Doing what I can to help others (esp my people!!) out in this arduous and emotional process

Reactions: 6 users
Also anyone else gearing up to submit for verification on May 28th? Time is really moving fast!

Good luck everyone! Rising M2...I remember being in your position two years ago. Get ready for a long wait...

URM- AA, Female, Nontrad, 23
Undergrad: Top 40 private research institution
Major: Biochemistry
cGPA- 2.6
sGPA- 2.4
SMP gpa: 3.5 all science credits, 1st year, 20 hours (2 year program)
MCAT- Taking 6/28, scoring around 506-510
Research- 1.5 years of research in the Biology department of my school
Clinical Volunteering- ~300 hours of volunteering in assisted care facilities
Shadowing- Dermatology and Internal Medicine- geriatrics
Other/Leadership- Mentor for 3 years to high school students and college freshmen, Worked in my school's library for 3 years, Ran executive team of a Black org at my school for 2 years
Applying to half MD, half DO schools. Nervous due to my low undergrad stats, second time applying. Thoughts on my application?
Post your MCAT score here in the future.

Just wondering how far along everyone is with their applications, and/or when they expect to submit for verification?
I won't get my MCAT score until July but I plan on submitting my app for verification sometimes in early June

Hi

URM- AA, Male, immigrant
Undergrad: Princeton, MIT, Stanford (I attendeed one of those 3)
Major: Chemical/Biological Engineering (Most rigorous major in my university)
cGPA- 2.97
sGPA- 3.06
***I sustained a pretty bad neck injury before college that left me in an out of the hosptial. My condition deteriorated until senior fall. Because of this my BCMP starts off at 3.7 and then decreases. I started getting physical therapy senior year and it began to improve. After graduation, I was well enough to study for the MCAT. I completed the MCAT in january as a testament to my recovery. I express all of this in my Essay and it is dissuaded in my Committee letter from my university.***
Post-bac gpa: In progress, Taking two courses this summer (will have grades back before application is processed)
MCAT- 513 (130 CP, 130 BB)
Research- 1200+ hours research undergrad. Won 2, 5500 dollar research grants. Completed Undergraduate Thesis. Presented poster at University research symposium. For my thesis I was the first to attempt work in a new field of fluid dynamics.
Honors - One of five students selected from university to do week long cultural exchange program at Oxford University, UK. Hosted the Oxford students at my University the following year.
Clinical- Hospice volunteer. Moved to remote due to coronations.
Shadowing- Psychiatry. Became Remote due to corona virus.
Other/Leadership- Chair on student activites board (one of 6 students in charge of allocating the $150,000 dolalrs of funding for student activities), led pre orientation community service trip, coordinated hospital fundraiser in response to covid(raised $400 for donation to older sisters hospital). Pretty Extensive ECS ngl.

All in all, it has been very difficult remaining motivated because of my GPA. But my counselor encouraged me to apply this cycle because she thought I could make it. It's a long journey, but what do you guys think?

Currently Looking at:
Brown
Tufts
Rutgers
Rowan
Uchicago (my dream)
Northwestern
Keck USC
NJMS
Stony Brook
New York Medical College

Reactions: 4 users
Hi

URM- AA, Male, immigrant
cGPA- 2.97
sGPA- 3.06
***I sustained a pretty bad neck injury before college that left me in an out of the hosptial. My condition deteriorated until senior fall. Because of this my BCMP starts off at 3.7 and then decreases. I started getting physical therapy senior year and it began to improve. After graduation, I was well enough to study for the MCAT. I completed the MCAT in january as a testament to my recovery. I express all of this in my Essay and it is dissuaded in my Committee letter from my university.***
Post-bac gpa: In progress, Taking two courses this summer (will have grades back before application is processed)
Research- 1200+ hours research undergrad. Won 2, 5500 dollar research grants. Completed Undergraduate Thesis. Presented poster at University research symposium. For my thesis I was the first to attempt work in a new field of fluid dynamics.
Honors - One of five students selected from university to do week long cultural exchange program at Oxford University, UK. Hosted the Oxford students at my University the following year.
Other/Leadership- Chair on student activites board (one of 6 students in charge of allocating the $150,000 dolalrs of funding for student activities), led pre orientation community service trip, coordinated hospital fundraiser in response to covid(raised $400 for donation to older sisters hospital). Pretty Extensive ECS ngl.

All in all, it has been very difficult remaining motivated because of my GPA. But my counselor encouraged me to apply this cycle because she thought I could make it. It's a long journey, but what do you guys think?

Currently Looking at:
Brown
Tufts
Rutgers
Rowan
Uchicago (my dream)
Northwestern
Keck USC
NJMS
Stony Brook
New York Medical College

Your GPA does raise a huge red flag but you have a narrative behind it which you stated reflects in your committee letter and PS.
To be on the safe side, cast your net wide and also apply DO + all of your IS medical schools. I would strongly consider DO. You are applying to schools that may be out of reach but I would still give them a try.
Did you publish your research?
How many clinical hours (not shadowing but clinical hours) do you have?

Your GPA does raise a huge red flag but you have a narrative behind it which you stated reflects in your committee letter and PS.
To be on the safe side, cast your net wide and also apply DO + all of your IS medical schools. I would strongly consider DO. You are applying to schools that may be out of reach but I would still give them a try.
Did you publish your research?
How many clinical hours (not shadowing but clinical hours) do you have?
Volunteering for the hospice? Around 50.

No, I didn't publish (in part because I didnt fully recover untill after graduation). However, I do work at a top 10 Management Consulting firm with a health care practice and the letter of rec i got from my manager was fantastic (she sent me a copy after sending it in).

Volunteering for the hospice? Around 50.

No, I didn't publish (in part because I didnt fully recover untill after graduation). However, I do work at a top 10 Management Consulting firm with a health care practice and the letter of rec i got from my manager was fantastic (she sent me a copy after sending it in).
ok your volunteering is on the low end.
Also did you waive your right to view the LOR? You are crossing hot water by reading the letter

I would apply to DO schools.

Hi

URM- AA, Male, immigrant
cGPA- 2.97
sGPA- 3.06

Currently Looking at:
Brown
Tufts
Rutgers
Rowan
Uchicago (my dream)
Northwestern
Keck USC
NJMS
Stony Brook
New York Medical College
How many hours of shadowing do you have ? How many hours of clinical volunteering ? Where is your state of residence ?

@9blade Sounds good, I'll be applying around then as well. Still waiting for AAMC to process my FAP application, but it should be in time for me to be complete before July 10th.
That's basically what I'm waiting for as well. I can't send before AAMC processes my FAP application.

Just wondering how far along everyone is with their applications, and/or when they expect to submit for verification?
I still have to write and finish my work/activities and personal statement. My personal statement has had a detailed outline for a month. Now, I just have to get the actual sentences down lol. I did the introduction today. I was aiming for 5/28 but I'm thinking first week of June. I already have everything else needed for the primary in.

Just finished getting my PS to a relative final copy after sending it to my advisor and having parents check it. I'm sending it out to a professor who is an MD and a friend who is a medical student now just for flow purposes/acceptability. Might do slight edits afterwards but its like mostly done. Also planning on sending it first week of june as I still need to do activity/work sections.

Don't know if yall have thought about this yet but how are yall planning on tackling the diversity essay? I know being urm already places us in a good position but is it really just "I'm urm, that's my diversity"?

nah...you can talk about other things you do or events that have happened in your life that make you different from other applicants.

I have a question about checking the disadvantaged box, Just being a URM doesn't make me disadvantaged, right? or does it? I'm asking because I grew up in a 2 parent household. Both parents have Ph.Ds, my brothers are medical doctors. I never really felt disadvantaged.

Reactions: 3 users
nah...you can talk about other things you do or events that have happened in your life that make you different from other applicants.

I have a question about checking the disadvantaged box, Just being a URM doesn't make me disadvantaged, right? or does it? I'm asking because I grew up in a 2 parent household. Both parents have Ph.Ds, my brothers are medical doctors. I never really felt disadvantaged.
I tend to place disadvantaged using the amcas definition e.g. on assistance at some point due SES, lack of hospitals. I wouldn't say you are disadvantaged in the sense of the question but I could see working the disadvantage of race/representation into a secondary

Don't know if yall have thought about this yet but how are yall planning on tackling the diversity essay? I know being urm already places us in a good position but is it really just "I'm urm, that's my diversity"?
I am sure others can chime in on here but I would advise against saying "I'm urm and that make me diverse and accepting me will make your class diverse." If every URM said this, then its not adding much diversity in other regards outside of race/ethnicity.

Here is a video for reference that helped me craft my diversity essay. Med schools already know youre URM. You don't need to remind them of it in your essay; rather bring something more than race to the table. If you do so, then you bring your experience/skill/etc AND URM status to the table. That, in my opinion, would put you in a better position.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks for the video Htown!
I'm AA and not planning on discussing race/ethnicity in the diversity essay.
great! if you need a pair of eyes to look over your essay, feel free to DM me and I can help you out

• Love
I am pretty sure disadvantaged is more so talking about SES. If you never felt disadvantaged, there is a high chance you are not.
Thank you. I didn't want to sound out of touch if asked about it. So I wasn't sure how to go about it