2021-2022 Columbia (Vagelos)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten a financial aid email yet? The portal says we will receive one with specific info for applying via netsuite.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten a financial aid email yet? The portal says we will receive one with specific info for applying via netsuite.
no email yet.. for the earlier questions about student ID I’m assuming this NetPartner email
will also give us our CU ID to use on the aid type request form and the activity questionnaire

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone speak to the culture at P&S? I've heard that it can be competitive during clerkships and that the grading system after preclinical has subjective components.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the student activity questionaire is used for?

Does anybody know if Columbia matches financial aid offers from other schools?

Can anyone speak to the culture at P&S? I've heard that it can be competitive during clerkships and that the grading system after preclinical has subjective components.
can a current student speak to this?

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist? when will most of the movement occur?

Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist? when will most of the movement occur?
Based on the threads from the last couple years, looks like the vast majority of WL movement occurs at the end of April through early May!! Not sure about how likely it is to get in off the waitlist, and MSAR doesn’t seem to have anything 😔

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! As the deadline approaches, anyone care to share if they will be withdrawing from Columbia?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! As the deadline approaches, anyone care to share if they will be withdrawing from Columbia?
They accept 300 for 140 seats, so rest assured there are plenty of people withdrawing. Whether MORE than 160 will withdraw to necessitate pulling from the waitlist is another question, but it seems like there is at least some waitlist movement historically. It's impossible it gauge anything though so I wouldn't think about it too much.

I was under the impression that the 300 number included those picked off the waitlist? What is the source of those numbers?
I agree, this is what I’ve heard too– don’t think they would accept 300 off the bat?

hopefully there's some movement next week!! giving myself until May 15th to stay on the WL, don't wanna stay on the hook forever :/

So has movement just not started, or have people just not reported it here? Very quiet...

I just called the office!! they were super nice and happy to give info - apparently movement has NOT yet started and is expected to begin next week and continue up until the first day of classes!!

Reactions: 12 users
I wonder how the waitlist process usually works at these schools. I assume they accept a batch at the start to replace the declined offers from the 5/2 deadline. Then it has to be a real slow trickle after that, right? Does anyone have any idea when it's safe to say that a waitlist position is not going to work out?

I just called the office!! they were super nice and happy to give info - apparently movement has NOT yet started and is expected to begin next week and continue up until the first day of classes!!
Honestly, thank you so much for letting us all know!! You saved me a week of pointless stress :)

I wonder how the waitlist process usually works at these schools. I assume they accept a batch at the start to replace the declined offers from the 5/2 deadline. Then it has to be a real slow trickle after that, right? Does anyone have any idea when it's safe to say that a waitlist position is not going to work out?
For what it’s worth, my premed advisor from undergrad basically told me the same about how VP&S usually has one batch of WL acceptances towards the beginning and then chances are pretty slim after the first half of May… not sure how true it is, but it checks out!!

:/ so waitlist movement has started (and maybe finished for the most part?)
Idk but I would honestly take the admissions office's word over a single report. They said movement would not start until next week according to an above poster... then again maybe I'm just trying to stay optimistic lol

hopefully there's some movement this week... just uploaded a second update letter, I'm down atrocious atm

• Care
R off the waitlist 😔 best of luck everyone else!

• Care
So sorry to hear that :( do you mind sharing how you heard?
Email. Relevant portion:

"We appreciate your interest in Columbia VP&S. Although we do not formally close out the waitlist until just after the first day of orientation, which this year is August 8th, the reality is there is essentially no chance that we will be able to offer you admission between now and the time school starts."

• Care
Email. Relevant portion:

"We appreciate your interest in Columbia VP&S. Although we do not formally close out the waitlist until just after the first day of orientation, which this year is August 8th, the reality is there is essentially no chance that we will be able to offer you admission between now and the time school starts."
just got the same email!! UNC here I come :)

• Love
Got the email too :( but at least they let us know now vs later... Did everyone on the WL get this email?

I don't think I've gotten an email yet. Did it update on your portal as well?

I haven't heard anything either. Wonder what that means

I didn't get the email yet either, but I'm not very hopeful. Like why would they reject some waitlist people before accepting others? Wouldn't it make more sense to accept some first, see what the responses are, then reject others after that?? My guess is that the class is already full, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Well crossing my fingers for you all! Just was wondering if their class was full already

I didn't get the email yet either, but I'm not very hopeful. Like why would they reject some waitlist people before accepting others? Wouldn't it make more sense to accept some first, see what the responses are, then reject others after that?? My guess is that the class is already full, but I really hope I'm wrong.
Really hope this is wrong, but honestly this seems about right. Can't think of any other reason...hope we get proven wrong though

Last edited:
Email. Relevant portion:

Me too. The amount of time it took them to sort things out kinda feels like their yield might have been higher than expected

I was too anxious and I called the admissions office. They filled up without any waitlist movement happening this year, so they expect some movement to happen eventually but who knows

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
kinda weird - I got the rejection off the waitlist email a week ago but they still hadn’t changed my AMCAS status. I emailed them asking for them to do so so I could CTE at another school and they said that they were upset to hear I wish to withdraw/no longer be a candidate 😂 I thought they rejected me first

@Jalapeño22 I haven't gotten it! Also haven't gotten an acceptance email, just silence
@Mufasa18 some people got a rejection-ish email that said something like "we don't technically reject people off the waitlist but there's basically no chance you will get in at this point"

I will likely give up my spot on the waitlist in the next few days. Fingers crossed that some of you reading this do get in off the waitlist soon!

kinda weird - I got the rejection off the waitlist email a week ago but they still hadn’t changed my AMCAS status. I emailed them asking for them to do so so I could CTE at another school and they said that they were upset to hear I wish to withdraw/no longer be a candidate 😂 I thought they rejected me first
That’s strange !!
Do you think the email was phrased incorrectly, or you were personally not supposed to receive it ?

Do we think there’s been WL movement that just hasn’t been reported or minimal/no WL movement at all?