2021-2022 UCLA (PRIME)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haven’t heard anything since the interview on Jan. Tough to see how everything is unfolding since Rs are most likely next. I thought my interview went well and it was a good fit. This was my chance to stay in CA :(

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah talked to some people.. they got their acceptances last night too.. pretty sure they sent them all out sighs

do you know if anyone who interviewed on the 15th got an A? I thought maybe they would they would go in order or interview date and that's why we haven't heard back?
Yeah talked to some people.. they got their acceptances last night too.. pretty sure they sent them all out sighs

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish theyd just hurry and send the R's already, this uncertainty is harsh.. would rather just confirm and move on already

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else not heard anything at all yet? I’m almost positive it’s an R, and I’ve come to terms with the decision, but it just hurts that theyre withholding it, esp when they said decisions would be released late Feb and it’s already almost half way through March :( so much extra anxiety…

Has anyone else not heard anything at all yet? I’m almost positive it’s an R, and I’ve come to terms with the decision, but it just hurts that theyre withholding it, esp when they said decisions would be released late Feb and it’s already almost half way through March :( so much extra anxiety…
I haven't heard anything either, so you're definitely not alone... I've been waiting for the results since late Feb, and it's agonizing that we've been waiting since then...

I haven't heard anything either, so you're definitely not alone... I've been waiting for the results since late Feb, and it's agonizing that we've been waiting since then...
I haven't heard anything either. I'm honestly a little confused why they would call on Monday, wl Tuesday, and then not send rejections for over a week. Idk if that means something is still happening or if they are just waiting for some reason.

I haven't heard anything either. I'm honestly a little confused why they would call on Monday, wl Tuesday, and then not send rejections for over a week. Idk if that means something is still happening or if they are just waiting for some reason.
Maybe they forgot to click "send" when writing the mass rejection email 😂

Rejected a few mins ago via email. Not sure why they prolonged this update. I feel like they already knew who they rejected back when they made the acceptance calls. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected a few mins ago via email. Not sure why they prolonged this update. I feel like they already knew who they rejected back when they made the acceptance calls. Good luck to everyone!
Same just now. Definitely heartbreaking but keeping the motto that we end up where we are supposed to ✨

+3 I’ve been at peace with the decision for a long time now
I'm so glad some of y'all have finally heard back. I'm at peace with the decision too but still haven't gotten anything from them.. :confused:

Has there been any waitlist movement? Does anyone know about waitlist movement in prior years?

Hi All!

Current UCLA-PRIME M1 student here stopping by to share a bit of wisdom with everyone on this thread who I know will be wonderful future leaders and physicians.

Jumping into things: Looking back at everything (especially because I also applied during the COVID-19 pandemic cycle like everyone else on this thread), I would encourage everyone to explore all of your options BEFORE committing to a specific school. One thing I wish I had done was give other schools I was accepted to a FIGHTING chance and to visit those campuses and talk to admins before committing to UCLA-PRIME.

Background: Two of my really good buddies applied to medical school the same cycle as I did. One of my buddies decided on Stanford. The other buddy decided on UCSF. Although I was also accepted to UCSF and Stanford as well, I ended up deciding on UCLA-PRIME because I received the Geffen Scholarship and was already comfortable with the area. All three of us are finishing up our first-year at our respective medical schools. Here is what I wish I took more time researching:

• Pre-Clerkship Grading (+1 Stanford/UCSF)
  • Clerkship Grading (+1 Stanford/UCSF)
  • Support & Funding To Start Your Own Organization & Initiative (+1 Stanford)
  • Proximity & Partnerships To Innovation AND Biomedical Start-Ups (+1 Stanford/UCSF)
  • AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) Medical Honor Society Affiliation: I won’t get into major details because everyone has a different opinion on this. However, I would encourage students to look into why schools like Stanford, UCSF, and Harvard have ended their affiliation with AOA. (A quick Google search should give you the information you need and the pros and cons). In my opinion, being affiliated with AOA is a bad thing as it introduces unnecessary bias and pressure for medical students (who are already stressed as it is). I am not sure why UCLA still holds an affiliation with AOA, but I am hoping they will follow in the footsteps of Harvard, Stanford, & UCSF and end their affiliation with the AOA in the near future.
My buddies from the aforementioned Bay Area medical schools and I keep in touch on a regular basis and I feel that their medical school experiences are much more relaxed academically. Why? Because those schools operate on a pass/fail grading system. UCLA does not have pass/fail. Instead, there is a 4-tier grading system for clerkships – which causes unnecessary stress and perpetuates biases, especially for students of color.

In terms of support and funding to start your own health/grass roots organization, Stanford takes the cake. My buddy from Stanford has been able to receive so much funding and support to start his own organization simply because they have so many financial reserves from donors. Of note, as a first-generation student myself, I had my own pre-conceived biases towards private schools and this bias was one of the reasons why I did not put much effort and thought when considering Stanford MED. Boy, was I wrong to have this bias.... My buddy who goes to Stanford is also a low-income first-generation student like I am, and he is beyond happy with the amount of support and love is getting over there.

In terms of innovation and biomedical opportunities, UCSF & Stanford take the cake. There are so many startups and innovative organizations that my buddies have been able to be part of (simply due to geographical location in the Bay Area). (Think of big names like Abbott, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson). What does that translate to? Provides more opportunities to shine when applying to competitive residencies.

I sometimes feel I made a premature decision not to give other schools a fighting chance because I was so fixated on receiving my Geffen Scholarship along with a bias against private schools such as Stanford. I wasn’t aware that schools like Stanford have a very supportive financial aid office who will work with you to either match or exceed competing offers at other schools. UCSF is similar as they are need-based and will do everything they can to meet your needs. I also did not put much thought into the ultimate “long-term” benefits and opportunities that my buddies have been able to be part of simply because of the abundance of innovative biotech companies and non-profit grassroots community health organizations in the Bay Area.

Ultimately, I know first-hand how overwhelming the entire medical school application can be. Find the strength to have an open mind and not allow your best initial financial aid package to cloud your judgment on what school to decide. Don’t be afraid to reach out to other schools that have also extended acceptance offers to ask if they are able to match or provide you with a better financial aid package.

Take home message: Everyone here who is currently sitting on an acceptance is an All-Star. For those who have multiple acceptance offers, even more power to you – Take time to give yourself some grace, remind yourself that you are a superstar, and that YOU deserve to be part of the most elite medical program.
Hi! Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. I really appreciate the time you took to write it out.

I was under the impression that UCLA was also Pass/Fail for pre-clerkship and clerkship years

How has your experience been with Prime-LA? Do you enjoy the community and the resources?

If this is any consolation, UCSF typically does not negotiate. I reached out to them to see if they could improve their offer to match Geffen, and that was their response. They did put the information in my file, but it is unclear how useful that will be