2021-2022 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted on June 29th but haven't gotten an II. I have a 517 and 4.0 with lots of research. Should I be worried that people who were completed around my time have been getting interviews and I haven't? UTSW is basically my first choice so advice would be appreciated!!
Are you a reapplicant? Or first time?

Members don't see this ad.

@TexasHopeful52 first time! I'm instate ORM if that gives any context
this is where knowing group 1 thresholds for gpa and mcat helps since you seem to be exactly at 75. If you dont meet those numbers, you may need to wait until group 2 kicks in.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is where knowing group 1 thresholds for gpa and mcat helps since you seem to be exactly at 75. If you dont meet those numbers, you may need to wait until group 2 kicks in.
Sorry I'm a little unfamiliar with what that means. Group 1 and 2...?

Sorry I'm a little unfamiliar with what that means. Group 1 and 2...?
UTSW interviews people based on stats and anyone falling in group 1 is called for an interview first. Your date of application is not always relevant at UTSW.

If my LizzyM is 67 then the II I received is probably Group 2 already right?

Sorry, just can't find any info online about the G1/G2 stuff. I'm guessing G2 would have a lower matriculation rate than G1 if that's the case.

Last edited:
I submitted on June 29th but haven't gotten an II. I have a 517 and 4.0 with lots of research. Should I be worried that people who were completed around my time have been getting interviews and I haven't? UTSW is basically my first choice so advice would be appreciated!!
This is my 3rd time applying and my best advice is just to be patient. It seems like interviews are coming out a little later than in previous years and there are still many invitations that have yet to go out. Give it a week or 2 and you’ll have a better idea of where you stand. That goes to everyone else here who may be getting a bit anxious.

They have only invited people on one day so far, LOTS of chances to come!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also got an II today at 3 pm! Was complete 6/29, and had lowkey given up hope

No luck for an II for me so far. LM ~75 and instate. Probably because my advisor didn’t send in my committee letter until 7/20? I had everything else completed 7/7…

Last edited:
No luck for an II for me so far. LM 75.1 and instate. Probably because my advisor didn’t send in my committee letter until 7/20? I had everything else completed 7/7…
what is your GPA and mcat breakdown?

What days are available for the interviews for those of you who have gotten II? (Weekdays, weekends, etc)

IS II at around noon today! ORM and LM is ~70 so I was really surprised? I didn't think I'd even have a shot at this school and to be completely honest I submitted the secondary just last week. But I see now about the auto invites so I guess it makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users
II OOS this morning! Mid to late october spots open

Reactions: 1 user
Just interviewed and all they asked me was how I maintained my diet and exercise in undergrad...weird vibes
What type of people interviewed you? You dont think they meant during Covid?

Dont you have 2 separate personal interviews?

Just interviewed and all they asked me was how I maintained my diet and exercise in undergrad...weird vibes
I interviewed today as well and had a totally different experience! Both interviewers were very kind and there were definitely no weird questions.

Maybe your interviewer made a personal decision to ask uncomfortable questions and see how you react?

OOS II was received on Thursday. Complete 7/29. This or Baylor are my top choices so I'm hyped!

Just echoing this, my interviews definitely were NOT ‘conversations’, so the experience can definitely vary by the interviewer you receive. I had one interviewer ask me questions back-to-back with no discussion of the previous question. Not necessarily a con, but just putting it out there for some additional data!

Just echoing this, my interviews definitely were NOT ‘conversations’, so the experience can definitely vary by the interviewer you receive. I had one interviewer ask me questions back-to-back with no discussion of the previous question. Not necessarily a con, but just putting it out there for some additional data!
may be both of you had the same interviewer!

Received an interview this morning around 10:30! Sent my secondary this weekend on Saturday 9/4 so I really can’t figure this process out 😅

Received an interview this morning around 10:30! Sent my secondary this weekend on Saturday 9/4 so I really can’t figure this process out 😅
Congrats!! Curious on LM/stats and IS or OOS? Wondering if they've started looking outside the high-stat pool.

Congrats!! Curious on LM/stats and IS or OOS? Wondering if they've started looking outside the high-stat pool.
If you look at the II tracker, a few with 511-517 MCATs have gotten IIs; it seems like 518 is the cutoff for the 'group 1' auto-II pool, so they've definitely started looking outside of that pool

that being said, it seems like UTSW fills all of their interview spots through late October with the auto-II people so they're in no hurry to send out IIs for those later (November-January) interview dates yet

Oh they definitely have moved on to the average people 😂 I’m fairly non-traditional, LM ~67 if you use my cumulative gpa, instate. I’m well below all of UTSW’s stats so you never know what can happen in the application season. And my interview date is for 10/23 btw!

It is doubtful they would have picked someone within 3 days of application outside of an auto pool when so many others are already in queue.

It is doubtful they would have picked someone within 3 days of application outside of an auto pool when so many others are already in queue.
I’m sure stranger things have happened 😊

Oh they definitely have moved on to the average people 😂 I’m fairly non-traditional, LM ~67 if you use my cumulative gpa, instate. I’m well below all of UTSW’s stats so you never know what can happen in the application season. And my interview date is for 10/23 btw!
So what do you think stands out about you being non-trad.

Isn't this just a volunteering opportunity? Like medical students already volunteer at free clinics, and this isn't mandatory.

Does anybody know if UTSW (or other TX schools, in general) consistently go back and read over your app throughout the cycle to offer you an interview? Or if they pass you, that's it?

Does anybody know if UTSW (or other TX schools, in general) consistently go back and read over your app throughout the cycle to offer you an interview? Or if they pass you, that's it?
UTSW reads all applications that fall outside of the autointerview group.

All schools will have some mechanism to rank applicants. Once they have ranked, I would assume they interview people until they run out of slots.

Can anyone give me insight on why I didn’t get an automatic II? IS LM ~75 I even live here in Dallas. Primary submitted 6/7. Secondary submitted 7/11. Completed 7/20 (waited on LORs).

Last edited:
Can anyone give me insight on why I didn’t get an automatic II? IS 3.91/518. I even live here in Dallas. Primary submitted 6/7. Secondary submitted 7/11. Completed 7/20 (waited on LORs).
Those numbers are auto invite numbers for an instate applicant. Are there any questions as to you being instate like visa status or having just moved here?