2022-2023 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ooooh they into feet
Yeah, bad news for some of you. No mention of feet in your secondary = no interview invite.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 97633363-97B7-4345-BC94-218641FFA304.jpeg
    97633363-97B7-4345-BC94-218641FFA304.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe they are taking a break on their medical program this year to focus on their new podiatric medical school.
Not true: the administration, location of the school, and admissions committees for the MD school and podiatry school are separate.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a heads up for those applying to the school. The interview process is 2 virtual interviews via zoom AND THEN you get an invite to a required in-person group interview where they then do the tour, curriculum overview, and all that info, etc. They did not make it very clear at all and have been a little bad on the communication side though they have been having a lot of glitches.
Def not a fan of the mixed virtual/in-person aspect.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible for a school to do different interview formats for different groups of applicants??
Yes. A&M has in-person interviews for their engineering medicine program and MD/PhD students typically have much longer interviews that can take a few days, for example.

It's possible for a school to do different interview formats for different groups of applicants??
JAMP is a special support program that may have different requirements for interview & enrollment. I am not at all an expert on JAMP.

It applies to all students...Not just JAMP. Actually just found out this afternoon that they are making JAMP students exempt from it so now it just applies to normal applicants. The information is also on their portal if you go to "Welcome" and then the "FAQ" sub-page and scroll to the bottom. I did confirm with the school though that this is something new they are implementing this year.
Thanks for asking them, @caffeintated.noodle

Hey y'all, is the portal down for anyone else? I've submitted my secondary but wanted to check the status of my app.

Hey y'all, is the portal down for anyone else? I've submitted my secondary but wanted to check the status of my app.
That is just their website having caching and auth issues. Try clearing your cache or another browser. It happens all the time on their portal.

Latest incoming class profile (EY2022)

Couple of comments:
4738 applications means some of the 7,359 2021-2022 applicants did not apply to UTRGV, or did not complete the secondary
The diversity stats do not add up to 100%, because applicants don't have to check a box about their ethnicity

class-2026-stats.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Latest incoming class profile (EY2022)

Couple of comments:
4738 applications means some of the 7,359 2021-2022 applicants did not apply to UTRGV, or did not complete the secondary
The diversity stats do not add up to 100%, because applicants don't have to check a box about their ethnicity

View attachment 358946
Interesting diversity - it is a majority minority school!

• Love
II 9/2/22. Not JAMP btw. The only options were 9/6, 9/7, 9/8, and 9/9 FYI.

quick edit: very appreciative of the opportunity; just wish there was a tiny more time between II and the interview!

Reactions: 4 users

quick edit: very appreciative of the opportunity; just wish there was a tiny more time between II and the interview!
Wow! They are interviewing four days in a row!?

Is it a mixed online/in-person set-up? If it's in-person that's really unfortunate to give such short notice.

Congrats! When were you completed?

Wow! They are interviewing four days in a row!?
Yes! I didn't know schools did this lol

I hope that these are finally their ED applicants getting invited to interview.
RD!

Is it a mixed online/in-person set-up? If it's in-person that's really unfortunate to give such short notice.
All I know is that it's via Zoom. I don't even know the time lol. Based on another comment further up, it looks like there's also an in-person group interview later. I'm not sure if I have to make it through this round of interviews first or if I'm automatically eligible for the in-person event.

Congrats! When were you completed?
Thanks! 7/4/22

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah the ED process has

There are! Apparently they just lump ED in with RD. The whole process is super confusing.
That makes sense! Crazy that they don't give preference to ED candidates. All that commitment and sacrifice, only to be interviewed later than folks at almost every other TX school.

• Wow
That makes sense! Crazy that they don't give preference to ED candidates. All that commitment and sacrifice, only to be interviewed later than folks at almost every other TX school.
The very first year UTRGV ED applications existed, they did all their ED interviews in July and gave the applicants their answer, accepted or not, by July 31.

That was an equitable way to run an ED process, as those not selected could then be released to apply to the other TMDSAS schools and still be early in the application year.

Since then? Interviews in September and decisions in October. :mad:

Edited to correct the comment "the first year UTRGV existed" to read correctly "UTRGV ED applications existed"

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
The very first year UTRGV existed, they did all their ED interviews in July and gave the applicants their answer, accepted or not, by July 31.

That was an equitable way to run an ED process, as those not selected could then be released to apply to the other TMDSAS schools and still be early in the application year.

This is why I decided to apply RD to all programs. If I were to not be admitted to my ED school, my application would be late to all other schools.

The very first year UTRGV existed, they did all their ED interviews in July and gave the applicants their answer, accepted or not, by July 31.

Exactly!!! Completely ridiculous and unfair, I think.

This is why I decided to apply RD to all programs. If I were to not be admitted to my ED school, my application would be late to all other schools.
Indeed. I never even considered it for this very reason. But man, they should be taking care of those ED applicants early and as quickly as possible. I feel bad for the UTRGV ED applicants.

Indeed. I never even considered it for this very reason. But man, they should be taking care of those ED applicants early and as quickly as possible. I feel bad for the UTRGV ED applicants.
As much as I hate to lose an opportunity for myself, hopefully the ED applicants get priority.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone heard anything from UTRGV yet? Submitted secondary on 8/15

Has anyone heard anything from UTRGV yet? Submitted secondary on 8/15
There has been several IIs, but it seems like this school has remained relatively quiet. I would assume invites will pick up any day now.

Reactions: 2 users
There has been several IIs, but it seems like this school has remained relatively quiet. I would assume invites will pick up any day now.

Have you heard about other interview invites? The only info in this thread is an invite from last Friday for regular decision, besides the JAMP students.

Got a "reminder to submit application" email today and freaked me out thinking that it was a) an interview invite and then b) a sign that I didn't submit my application properly :cryi: both were wrong and it was yet another automated email

• Sad
Got a "reminder to submit application" email today and freaked me out thinking that it was a) an interview invite and then b) a sign that I didn't submit my application properly :cryi: both were wrong and it was yet another automated email
I got it and wrote them back. I guess I didn't need to, now knowing others received the same email. Ah well.

• Care
Me too. Had to go check that everything was submitted.

• Sad
Haha I did not receive that email. Glad I didn’t because definitely would have gotten me overly excited for no reason.

• Sad
That would be crazy if your email got them curious about your app and resulted in the II.

• Wow
Lol what school have you not gotten an II from?? Congrats!
Thank you! I told my wife a few weeks ago that if I don't get one acceptance, I must be a lot more socially awkward than I've thought up to this point lol.

Have any early decision applicants received an interview invite?

Have any early decision applicants received an interview invite?
I'm shocked they're sending out RD II and you haven't heard back about ED. I wonder if it's time to contact them and see what's going on. That's three weeks to potentially interview you and make a decision.

ED Applicants to UTRGV:
I share your frustration, believe me.
Since contacting the school has brought you no new information, it is worth a try to message TMDSAS on your portal and explain the issue.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Glad they got to y’all