2023-2024 Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NSdoc's comments are pure vitriol, but more importantly, they are unsourced, unreliable, and unhelpful.
Here is some more "vitriol."
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacrame...a-northstate-university-sued-data-breach.html

If you shared your Personal Information with the institution anytime before early 2023, you may have been burnt.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
For those who have interviewed, is it only the two interviews? I don't see an info session in the schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of yesterday, it appears that the LCME has officially extended CNUCOM's 'provisional, on probation' status for one more year. Does anybody know if CNU (or the LCME) will be making a statement about the reasoning behind this decision and its implications? If anybody (including current students) could shed some light on the situation that would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users
As of yesterday, it appears that the LCME has officially extended CNUCOM's 'provisional, on probation' status for one more year. Does anybody know if CNU (or the LCME) will be making a statement about the reasoning behind this decision and its implications? If anybody (including current students) could shed some light on the situation that would be greatly appreciated!

LCME’s reports to a school are confidential and all they will post publicly is the accreditation level or status.
The individual school may share as much as they wish, if anything, publicly with respect to areas marked for improvement.

Admitted today off the waitlist today and I do not intend to accept - good luck to everyone this cycle who might be waiting to hear back!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Received Email this morning from the admission office asking to confirm if I want to accept or reject being on the waitlist. Interviewed in Oct 2023 and was waitlisted a few weeks later. I think they are sending these email to everybody who is on the waitlist to figure out how many will accept coming of the waitlist.

Received Email this morning from the admission office asking to confirm if I want to accept or reject being on the waitlist. Interviewed in Oct 2023 and was waitlisted a few weeks later. I think they are sending these email to everybody who is on the waitlist to figure out how many will accept coming of the waitlist.
I did not receive that email, and I am on the waitlist. Interviewed February, waitlisted one week later.

How did the interview experience go for those who interviewed? Honestly, for me it was a bit underwhelming and I felt the interviewers were a bit unprofessional. I really wish they included an info session as well.

How did the interview experience go for those who interviewed? Honestly, for me it was a bit underwhelming and I felt the interviewers were a bit unprofessional. I really wish they included an info session as well.
One of my interviewers was absolutely wonderful and the other was not so great. There is an information session scheduled for next Wednesday - I would imagine you are or will be invited if you were interviewed.

Hi everyone! This thread seems to be very quiet compared to others which is unfortunate because I think there is a lot to discuss including the probationary/provisional status being extended, CNU's 2024 match list, the upcoming information session, etc. I would love to hear from anyone else considering matriculating into CNU's' Class of 2028, current students, etc. so if anyone has any thoughts and would prefer to speak privately please shoot me a message!

Not much to talk about, only matriculate if it's your only MD choice and you're willing to risk private loans.

We signed an NDA
Hi everyone! This thread seems to be very quiet compared to others which is unfortunate because I think there is a lot to discuss including the probationary/provisional status being extended, CNU's 2024 match list, the upcoming information session, etc. I would love to hear from anyone else considering matriculating into CNU's' Class of 2028, current students, etc. so if anyone has any thoughts and would prefer to speak privately please shoot me a message!
The truth is that nobody knows whats going to happen. They won't disclose why they were put on probation or what they are required to do to maintain it. No school has ever lost accreditation before, but theres a first time for everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! do you mind sharing stats?
I interviewed recently and I'll let you know, ORM CA resident with 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 BCPM/sGPA after post-bacc (downward trend in university then almost 4.0 in post-bacc), 514 MCAT.

P.S. though, my ORM friend with 3.3 cGPA and 514 MCAT was interviewed and accepted a few months ago.

This happens everywhere, this just happened with the entire UC system a few years back.
True, but when UC's systems were attacked they addressed the vulnerability, enhanced data security, and PROMPTLY notified the university community online & through on-campus sessions.

CNU's servers were targeted in 2022 before the 2023 attack in which personal information including SSNs, stored in unencrypted internet-accessible environment was harvested & posted on the dark web. Further, those affected were not timely notified. This is the basis of the Class Action Complaint. The fact that CNU has hired a high profile law firm to defend themselves underscores the fact that the complaint is not a frivolous one.

I interviewed recently and I'll let you know, ORM CA resident with 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 BCPM/sGPA after post-bacc (downward trend in university then almost 4.0 in post-bacc), 514 MCAT.

P.S. though, my ORM friend with 3.3 cGPA and 514 MCAT was interviewed and accepted a few months ago.

thanks for sharing!!

for anyone curious, at the info session today for admitted students, the dean (Dr. Isaacs) was vocal about his confidence that CNU would be fully accredited by 2025. he claimed that the LCME was very impressed with the progress made and only have lingering concerns about sustainability of this progress

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
for anyone curious, at the info session today for admitted students, the dean (Dr. Isaacs) was vocal about his confidence that CNU would be fully accredited by 2025. he claimed that the LCME was very impressed with the progress made and only have lingering concerns about sustainability of this progress
Any update on the dorms

Eric Andre GIF

• Love
The key word is "claimed." What was his "claim" about the status of construction of the hospital?

The key word is "claimed." What was his "claim" about the status of construction of the hospital?
That they would be breaking ground in late 2024-early 2025. Obviously this is very delayed in comparison to their ambitious timelines from previous years.

That they would be breaking ground in late 2024-early 2025. Obviously this is very delayed in comparison to their ambitious timelines from previous years.
It would be a miracle far greater than the school receiving full accreditation if the hospital is built. Word is that the delay in breaking ground is because raised funds have been exhausted by grandiose planning among other things.

I understand this policy, but how will the current students of the school fare in residency matching? I'm sure it will be detrimental during the match process if your current medical school failed accreditation.
As long as you finish, you’ll match. They have a pretty good match rate.

I'm a parent of a student. In my kid’s case, it was the only school they got into so their choice was to either reapply (and my kid was already a reapplicant), or attend CNU. We interviewed several students who said it is absolutely better to take the acceptance, especially given the protections of the teachout and LCME policies. My kid said that for students that got accepted to other schools, they know one that chose CNU over another MD school due to proximity to family, others choose CNU over DO programs.

One of the SDN consultants said it best - applying to med school is like competing in the Olympics. The difference between medaling and not medaling can be 0.1sec. My kid said the class is really smart, and filled with a lot of students that were metaphorically 0.1sec away from going to top schools (my kid included). This also explains their strong performances in board scores and match rates.

It means they’re doing what they need to be doing. They are heading towards getting accredited. If LCME thought it was not going to accredit them they would have by now denied them fully. They are working hard to get accredited and LCME knows this so LCME. It’s just like any full accreditation body like the JC or CDPH or CME. They will work with the organization and the goal is to accredit not deny.

This years match rate once again is quite good. 95% Mach and to solid residency programs.

This is a fine program and a fine medical school. I’m not a student but I am a physician/medical educator and look through various threads here, esp the California medical schools. If you get accepted to this medical school, you will become a doctor at the end (as long as you don’t fail out and pass your Steps, and Shelf, etc). And you will get into a residency program. If you get an acceptance here but nowhere else, you have an option: take it or reapply. It’s hard to get accepted to any med school and chance of getting accepted to a top tier med school decreases every year you reapply and you may not get reaccepted here if you reject their acceptance. So if you get accepted here but nowhere else think carefully how badly you want to be one a doctor AND realistically calculate if you have the metrics and the “story” to be accepted into any other med school. Again, bottom line is once you are accepted (even to this medical school), and if you pass all the tests, etc, you will become a doctor and you will get into a residency program. Good luck.

Reactions: 9 users
any recent IIs? It seems like they interview til May, can anyone confirm this?

any recent IIs? It seems like they interview til May, can anyone confirm this?
I don’t know for sure as I’m not at all involved in this shh ch I’ll but I do know for a fact that just a couple of years ago a med student got into this school last minute around May and that student is now a resident at a California Residency Program and is the chief resident in their program. So hang in there. Good luck

I don’t know for sure as I’m not at all involved in this shh ch I’ll but I do know for a fact that just a couple of years ago a med student got into this school last minute around May and that student is now a resident at a California Residency Program and is the chief resident in their program. So hang in there. Good luck
omg, i really hope this works out for me. this is the last school im waiting for...

Congrats!! Did they say anything about sending more IIs during your interview session?
Genuinely asking: why would they do that during someone’s interview? That doesn’t seem relevant and would appear to be pretty rude to the applicant directly in front of them

Genuinely asking: why would they do that during someone’s interview? That doesn’t seem relevant and would appear to be pretty rude to the applicant directly in front of them
During the interview day presentations, some schools tend to be more transparent and give a summary of where they are in terms of admission decisions (which can be dependent on how many interviews they had and will have coming up). This is particularly relevant when a class is filled and the interviewers are told they are interviewing for a waitlist and those rankings will be decided after all interviews are done (in which case the school indirectly reveals that there are more interviews to come). OP asked a valid question

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
During the interview day presentations, some schools tend to be more transparent and give a summary of where they are in terms of admission decisions (which can be dependent on how many interviews they had and will have coming up). This is particularly relevant when a class is filled and the interviewers are told they are interviewing for a waitlist and those rankings will be decided after all interviews are done (in which case the school indirectly reveals that there are more interviews to come). OP asked a valid question
Fair point then. I had no clue of that detail