2023-2024 Uniformed Services (USUHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if we can take vacation in between officer training school and when we have to report back on August 1st?
current MS1. We had 5 days in between the end of DCC and the start of orientation. all of these days counted towards our 30 leaves days so it is really impractical to take time off. Now, if you are prior service or ROTC and are in the army then you will not need to go to DCC

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone able to comment on how long it usually takes to receive security clearance? Also, is it via an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if there's anywhere we can check the status or should I just email Mr. Carrington? I turned in mine mid November and haven't heard anything other than notifications that Mr. Carrington had accessed my documents.

Do you know if there's anywhere we can check the status or should I just email Mr. Carrington? I turned in mine mid November and haven't heard anything other than notifications that Mr. Carrington had accessed my documents.
Yeah you can email or call Mr. Carrington. I had the same situation and turns out he had just forgotten to notify the admissions team that everything was good.

Reactions: 1 user
After a million hurdles for a waiver, unconditional acceptance for Air force!! Now i have no idea what school im going to lol

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any USUHS Air Force students in this thread? I have an acceptance to USUHS from the Air Force. I have some things I would like to please speak to a current student about. thanks in advance.

Are there any USUHS Air Force students in this thread? I have an acceptance to USUHS from the Air Force. I have some things I would like to please speak to a current student about. thanks in advance.
Hey, I'm an accepted student too and I got connected to a current student associated with my branch. Did a current student not reach out to u?

Hey, I'm an accepted student too and I got connected to a current student associated with my branch. Did a current student not reach out to u?
Unfortunately no. I think my acceptance email mentioned I would, but I never received any communication. I think I will reach out to my admissions councelor.

Is anyone else post II and only have the "learn more" button on their portal and nothing else? Wondering if this is normal.

Hey guys! do any of you (current or incoming students) have suggestions for housing in Bethesda area? and how incoming students go about finding housemates?

Is anyone else post II and only have the "learn more" button on their portal and nothing else? Wondering if this is normal.
Hey! I have this is well...do believe it is normal. Looks like all post-II communication is via email. You can submit updates via your admissions counselor as well since the portal is closed.

Hey guys! do any of you (current or incoming students) have suggestions for housing in Bethesda area? and how incoming students go about finding housemates?
hey! fellow incoming student here— from what I’ve heard from current students, it sounds like some people meet their room/housemates during training. Common places to live are Rockville, North Bethesda, and northern VA (mostly families). Admissions suggested asking our student hosts for housing recs too!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! fellow incoming student here— from what I’ve heard from current students, it sounds like some people meet their room/housemates during training. Common places to live are Rockville, North Bethesda, and northern VA (mostly families). Admissions suggested asking our student hosts for housing recs too!
Unfortunately didn't get the II but am at NIH (across the street) for a postbac, check out the apartments on Battery Lane in Bethesda if you want to be able to walk to campus

Anyone whos accepted here know when the officer training will take place over the summer? Theres no exact date online. Currently on the waitlist but it would be nice to know so I can plan some things for if the med school gods smile on me and I am accepted.

wondering when accepted (unconditional) students may receive more information regarding commissioning instructions/next steps - any insight appreciated - thanks :)

wondering when accepted (unconditional) students may receive more information regarding commissioning instructions/next steps - any insight appreciated - thanks :)

Someone from USU called me on the phone, I think yesterday, to say “paperwork and information is coming to you soon”. I actually withdrew my A, but hopefully that means they’re getting the ball rolling for everyone with unconditional A!

Reactions: 3 users
Someone from USU called me on the phone, I think yesterday, to say “paperwork and information is coming to you soon”. I actually withdrew my A, but hopefully that means they’re getting the ball rolling for everyone with unconditional A!
thanks!!

Hello All! Interviewed week of 1/8...was informed I was WL today! Here's to good news for all you folks and some WL movement in the following weeks/months.

Last edited:
Has anyone received any information on "Second Take" yet?
Spoke to someone that said information should come out sometime this week or next week. Second Look normally takes place in the last two weeks of April.

Hey guys! Interviewed 1/8. Conditional acceptance 3/7 army. Medically qualified and turned in security forms early January. How long did it take you guys to hear back about the unconditional? I called Mr. Carrington about security clearance and it was confusing. Something about we were tested for interim and a more formal clearance will happen after we enroll? Just curious about people who went through this already earlier this cycle!

Hey guys! Interviewed 1/8. Conditional acceptance 3/7 army. Medically qualified and turned in security forms early January. How long did it take you guys to hear back about the unconditional? I called Mr. Carrington about security clearance and it was confusing. Something about we were tested for interim and a more formal clearance will happen after we enroll? Just curious about people who went through this already earlier this cycle!
Hey I pm'ed you back about this...but based on this thread and previous ones it seems to take anywhere from 1-3ish weeks with variance on a case-by-case schedule.

Just got the unconditional! II (1/7) —>Conditional A (3/7) —> Unconditional A (3/14). If there is a GroupMe or fb page please pm me. For everyone else waiting, good luck! I applied three years ago and was left on the waitlist so I know how hard it is.

Reactions: 3 users
Got waitlisted just before noon, Army applicant. Interviewed middle December. I'm a little unclear on if I was medically cleared. When I talked to COL Holt in person she said that they could not give me an admissions decision until I was medically cleared. Anyone have experience with this?

Got waitlisted just before noon, Army applicant. Interviewed middle December. I'm a little unclear on if I was medically cleared. When I talked to COL Holt in person she said that they could not give me an admissions decision until I was medically cleared. Anyone have experience with this?
If you go to your dodmets account, it should say if your qualified or if you need remedials

Just got the unconditional! II (1/7) —>Conditional A (3/7) —> Unconditional A (3/14). If there is a GroupMe or fb page please pm me. For everyone else waiting, good luck! I applied three years ago and was left on the waitlist so I know how hard it is.
yes plz let me know if there as an accepted students fb or groupme ! much appreciated

I know that last year there was a date starting in March (cannot remember the exact date) where you could not be accepted until you had been medically cleared. Maybe that is what she is referring to?

Last edited:
I know that last year there was a date starting in March (cannot remember the exact date) where you could not be accepted until you had been medically cleared. Maybe that is what she is referring to?
During the post-interview visit yesterday Dr. Holt said today (March 15th) was the day they were planning to have most of the stuff on their end wrapped up and I believe she said it included the cut off you are referring to.

Any updates for prior service applicants? I interviewed November, but got delayed due to my LOA taking forever to get approved. I submitted the approved LOA as of the beginning of March. I haven't heard anything back from USUHS regarding a final decision or status. Is it over for my application?

Just got my post-II rejection (3/21) via email. I interviewed 1/22. Good luck to the rest of you. Ima go crawl into my safe space.

• Care
Hey Everyone! I am a current fourth year looking for someone (or two people) to rent out my furnished 2 bed 2 bath 12 min north of the hospital. If you’re interested let me know and congrats to everyone applying/waitlisted/accepted!

Please dm me if you would like the accepted GroupMe. Good luck with everyone in the upcoming weeks with the WL and decision results!

Any updates for prior service applicants? I interviewed November, but got delayed due to my LOA taking forever to get approved. I submitted the approved LOA as of the beginning of March. I haven't heard anything back from USUHS regarding a final decision or status. Is it over for my application?
Have you been waitlisted yet? Might be worth it to follow up with admissions at this point if not. If you have been waitlisted, most movement happens in April/May

I recently got an email from a MS1 student that was assigned to be my host, which got me really confused. Because the only information that is close to what happened to me is on the Sponsor Form, which says "Upon acceptance to USU, members of the incoming class are individually matched with members of the current freshman class." I would not be confused if I was accepted, but I have not heard back from the school since my interview.

I am not sure what to make of it. I cannot find any information on this hosting and matching me with MS1 student thing apart from what is on the Sponsor Form. I am not sure if I am thinking too much, but it also doesn't make sense for the USU to assign MS1 students to host every single applicant regardless of acceptance or not after interview.

Like am I supposed to get this email? And did anyone else get similar emails before decision?
MS1 who is a frequent student host. The school tries to send out hosts before you interview, but can't get full coverage so not everybody gets one. They're just another resource to ask questions about the school in a low-stakes environment.

A note to those on the waitlist:
Ideally, this has already been explained to you, but the USUHS waitlist is a bit different than a civilian Medical School. USUHS is only allocated a certain number of spots by the DoD every year (170ish), and CANNOT exceed that number, no matter what. Therefore, the school only floats that number of acceptances at a time and waitlists all other competitive applicants. This differs from your civilian med schools which float ~250 A's (varies). This means that you're more likely to get off the waitlist here than at other schools. I did in late April, and many of my classmates had a similar experience.

--MS1

Last edited:
A note to those on the waitlist:
Ideally, this has already been explained to you, but the USUHS waitlist is a bit different than a civilian Medical School. USUHS is only allocated a certain number of spots by the DoD every year (170ish), and CANNOT exceed that number, no matter what. Therefore, the school only floats that number of acceptances at a time and waitlists all other applicants. This differs from your civilian med schools which float ~250 A's (varies). This means that you're more likely to get off the waitlist here than at other schools. I did in late April, and many of my classmates had a similar experience.

--MS1
Hi! Thanks for this info. Can I ask what branch you are? I am hopeful for the waitlist, but worried because I have heard that AF movement isn't typically until June. I am ROTC so my service commitment is on delay while I wait to hear from the waitlist, so just trying to gauge a timeline

Received an A (Navy) off the waitlist, but have decided to withdraw. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Received an A (Navy) off the waitlist, but have decided to withdraw. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!
Congrats! Hopefully some of us other waitlister's will start to here some good news soon. Goodluck with everything in your other program!