2023-2024 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 UIWSOM Secondary Essay Prompts (200 words each) **Interviews are on campus this year**

1. Explain your understanding of osteopathic medicine and your interest in pursuing this pathway to becoming a physician.

2. UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?

3. Please describe your preparation for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Include any tools you may have used to prepare, length of study time, practice exams, etc…

4. If applicable, please answer the following
If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied?

Are you a current or former student of the University of the Incarnate Word who falls in one of the categories below?
a) Current MBS student
b) Previous UIWSOM MBS student
c) Current UIW undergraduate student in Direct Admit program

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
(Same as last year) @PapaGuava
All Essay questions have a max word count of 200 words.
Essay questions(1-4):
1. Explain your understanding of osteopathic medicine and your interest in pursuing this pathway to becoming a physician.

2.UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?

3.Please describe your preparation for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Include any tools you may have used to prepare, length of study time, practice exams, etc…

4. If applicable, please answer the following
If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied?

Are you a current or former student of the University of the Incarnate Word who falls in one of the categories below?

email says it will take up to 2 weeks for a committee packet to process as complete in your portal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the interviews are offered virtually?

Yes, when I applied, my interview was virtual. I’m pretty sure that both formats were offered last application cycle and I don’t think anything will change for this next year but I can try to reach out and confirm.

For those who have uploaded a picture to the secondary, does it still show that the page is incomplete? I've been having this problem.

For those who have uploaded a picture to the secondary, does it still show that the page is incomplete? I've been having this problem.
make sure you press the submit button beneath the photo when its uploaded, then it'll mark that section complete. i was having the same issue lol

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know why it says my letters of rec have been received but not accepted?

The secondary complete email states it will take 1-2 weeks for a letter packet to be marked complete. After over 3 weeks, I sent a quick email and they marked me complete 10 minutes later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some questions:

While I know UIWSOM screens the primary for the secondary, how extensive is it?

What is the chance for a person who received a secondary to get an interview?

Can you be kicked out of the app process at any time or do they prefer to do it all at the very end if you don’t get a II (late March)?

UIWSOM sends out secondaries gradually after closely reading your primary.
Some are placed on "hold for a possible interview" but never invited.
They interview quite a few.
They sometimes give a rejection within a month of an interview, but more commonly after an interview there will be a long stretch of waiting.
Last year's thread to peruse: 2022-2023 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

Reactions: 3 users
UIWSOM sends out secondaries gradually after closely reading your primary.
Some are placed on "hold for a possible interview" but never invited.
They interview quite a few.
They sometimes give a rejection within a month of an interview, but more commonly after an interview there will be a long stretch of waiting.
Last year's thread to peruse: 2022-2023 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)
Thank you so much for replying to my question. I appreciate you perusing the thread.

While there is a hold, does anybody get outright rejected pre-II early in the cycle? Also, is there hope for somebody on an interview hold to get off of it in time?

I’m hoping that they did a deep dive on my primary. My record unfortunately has several weaknesses (one big one especially), so I was elated to get a secondary. While I didn’t get a II last time, I hope to get one this time.

…though I’m staying measured and realistic. I’ll go where I get in, to be honest.

Last edited:
Kind of freaking out because I got the email that my primary application was received on 6/16 and that secondaries would be sent within 4 weeks or so, but now its more than a month since and I haven't heard anything about a secondary... should I be worried?
No, it’s super early in the DO app cycle and just check your email and spam folder daily

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody complete yet? My LORs are still incomplete. Ik UIWSOM requires 3 letters. However, when I press where it says LOR on the portal, there's a checkmark for two evaluations, one from a doctor, and one is my HPAC letter, both of which are from AACOMAS. The thing is, my HPAC packet has my other letters attached to it so I have 3+ letters and meet the requirements. Idk if it's not complete since I don't have 3 uploaded separately or if they just didn't check it manually yet.

I’m in a similar boat, they have everything, I’m just not marked complete yet for a few weeks now.

Anybody complete yet? My LORs are still incomplete. Ik UIWSOM requires 3 letters. However, when I press where it says LOR on the portal, there's a checkmark for two evaluations, one from a doctor, and one is my HPAC letter, both of which are from AACOMAS. The thing is, my HPAC packet has my other letters attached to it so I have 3+ letters and meet the requirements. Idk if it's not complete since I don't have 3 uploaded separately or if they just didn't check it manually yet.
I submitted my secondary a while ago and got a complete email some time ago.

Submitted my primary July 30 and got the secondary invite before noon on July 31. Just waiting for them to mark my letters complete!

How long did it take you guys to get a secondary? I got an email saying my application is under review, but no secondary yet

II received. 08/07. completed late june.

I’m tryna be like y’all! Congrats everyone and I hope to join y’all soon!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I’m tryna be like y’all! Congrats everyone and I hope to join y’all soon!
Same here. I guess we’re both not in the first batch: finished secondary late June.

Congrats to the folks with the ll!!! Does anyone mind sharing when they submitted their secondary?

Did you all get email notifications about the interview? Or was it just updated in their application website?

Did you all get email notifications about the interview? Or was it just updated in their application website?
I got an email, but it wouldn’t hurt to check their portal.

I think I just got a Pre-II WL email.

• Care
  • Wow
  • Sad
What was the wording if you don’t mind sharing? That’s so strange so early on.
Yeah for sure! The email said that my application is still under consideration for an interview but that they are unable to give a II right now (not sure if that means they ran out of allotted IIs for now or if they just didn't like my application for now). It also said that if a date opens up, they might give me a II.

Yeah for sure! The email said that my application is still under consideration for an interview but that they are unable to give a II right now (not sure if that means they ran out of allotted IIs for now or if they just didn't like my application for now). It also said that if a date opens up, they might give me a II.
Hopefully you’ll get it if it’s meant for you, but i know you have plenty of other opportunities!!

Congrats to all the folks with II’s! Sorry to be that person but, anyone with an II willing to share LM score? Or other stats