2023 Oral Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureEM17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the oral boards today. Did solid on 5 cases. I missed the diagnosis on a structured interview case, and the other I stumbled and missed a critical action likely. Also missed minor things like forgetting to give pain meds in one case and stating IV, O2, monitor. I feel like I could have failed. Should I start studying again now? This feels defeating.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Whats your repercussion for failing? You can study then. Note, when i took the test a few years ago failing one case still put you in the pass zone depending on how you need on the others. don't sweat it.

I took the oral boards today. Did solid on 5 cases. I missed the diagnosis on a structured interview case, and the other I stumbled and missed a critical action likely. Also missed minor things like forgetting to give pain meds in one case and stating IV, O2, monitor. I feel like I could have failed. Should I start studying again now? This feels defeating.
Exactly how I felt when I took it last year. Didn’t get a diagnosis, missed some critical actions, still passed. Do your best not to fixate on everything you might’ve missed for the next month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I missed a huge part of a case. The patient didn't deteriorate or anything, and there was no prompting from the nurse, patient, or consultant, but it seemed too simple. Ugh. I hate it because it's so unlike real life.

I think I missed a huge part of a case. The patient didn't deteriorate or anything, and there was no prompting from the nurse, patient, or consultant, but it seemed too simple. Ugh. I hate it because it's so unlike real life.
I think I know which case you’re talking about. Confident about the diagnosis now although not completely clear at the time. I believe I did all of the critical actions except one because I was second guessing myself on what it was, or I may have screwed up the whole thing. There was no prompting by anyone like you said, or it could have been that proctor. Who knows.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I know which case you’re talking about. Confident about the diagnosis now although not completely clear at the time. I believe I did all of the critical actions except one because I was second guessing myself on what it was, or I may have screwed up the whole thing. There was no prompting by anyone like you said, or it could have been that proctor. Who knows.
Yeah, so I don't know if I completely screwed it up or am overthinking it and missed something terrible, but I feel like the patient would have decompensated or there would have been a prompt if I was way off base as I didn't run out of time, so there was time for that.

The cases are designed to mess with you so they are not predictable. It's incredible the rabbit hole you can go down trying to remember the case after the fact and questioning every single thing you did...kind of like real life in that respect I suppose. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you get your score. I had thought I failed but did fine.

I bombed a case about as bad as you possibly can. Missed a diagnosis, missed an obviously indicated imaging study, did a painful procedure without consent. Still passed. I would try not to stress over it as much as you can.

Update: I passed my oral boards by a good margin. Proof that you can mess up and still pass!

Also passed, but still pretty sure I failed that one weird case but whatever

Reactions: 1 user
Its more about stabilizing then taking a history if you got the history first on a patient and vitals kinda questionable you failed that case