2024 Reapplicant Questions with academic conduct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predentalaccount2

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a long time lurker of this forum but I finally made an account to post as I would really appreciate some guidance for my application. I applied this last cycle and struggled as I have received zero interviews and 6 rejections. The reason for this most likely being academic misconduct (weekly quiz I shared an answer with another student). This happened my freshman year. I am very remorseful for this situation and tried to show this on my application. I have read almost all of the previous forum on here regarding this topic and tried to follow the advice. I hoped that this being freshman year would have separated me enough from the incident. I recently heard back from midwestern AZ and they specifically stated my reason for rejection was my academic misconduct. While I more than understood this was a posssibilty I realize that no matter what I do some schools may no longer consider my Application. I would love to hear back from someone who experienced this and how they overcame this situation. My plan is currently to focus on lots of volunteer work to add to my application. What schools have those with similar situations in the past been successful at and what did your application have that mine was lacking. I really appreciate any responses as I understand this is self inflicted stress but this is something I am very passionate about and I hope to overcome by taking the right steps.

Thanks for all the help.

TLDR:
Anyone who has been successful in applying with Academic Misconduct I would appreciate a PM on how you overcame the situation and what schools were you able to receive interviews at as I try and prepare for the next cycle.

Date of submission: 9-1-23
Overall GPA: 3.69
Science GPA: 3.45
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22AA (17PAT) 27OCHEM 23TS 17GC
State of Residence: Left out for privacy

Major: Left Blank

Minority?
No
Reapplicant? NO
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
70 hours 40 general 30 oral surgeon
Volunteering Experience: 100 + 50 done since applying
Research: None
LOR type and strength: 2 professor 1 Dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Academic Misconduct/ Applied for HSPS for Navy and Airforce and hope to hear back soon

School list:

Marquette -
Western U- No Response
Boston U- Rejected

Midwestern AZ- rejected (Stated academic conduct as reason
UOP- No response
Roseman- No response
UBuffalo- no response
Ohio State- rejected
UCSF- rejected
Ucolorado- No response

additional state schools - rejection

Members don't see this ad.

Under what conditions would Midwestern reconsider your application" Would it ever reconsider your application?

Your 17 PAT does raise some concerns since I see no other evidence of fine manual dexterity.

You need more clinical and non-clinical experience hours. Of course, you refrain to tell us details so it's not clear whether the hours you have put in will fit the bill. I don't see anything with mission fit, so it's just as easy to reject your application since you have one big reason to reject you and no other reasons to counterbalance. Again, it's just based on what you wrote here.

Hello,

I am a long time lurker of this forum but I finally made an account to post as I would really appreciate some guidance for my application. I applied this last cycle and struggled as I have received zero interviews and 6 rejections. The reason for this most likely being academic misconduct (weekly quiz I shared an answer with another student). This happened my freshman year. I am very remorseful for this situation and tried to show this on my application. I have read almost all of the previous forum on here regarding this topic and tried to follow the advice. I hoped that this being freshman year would have separated me enough from the incident. I recently heard back from midwestern AZ and they specifically stated my reason for rejection was my academic misconduct. While I more than understood this was a posssibilty I realize that no matter what I do some schools may no longer consider my Application. I would love to hear back from someone who experienced this and how they overcame this situation. My plan is currently to focus on lots of volunteer work to add to my application. What schools have those with similar situations in the past been successful at and what did your application have that mine was lacking. I really appreciate any responses as I understand this is self inflicted stress but this is something I am very passionate about and I hope to overcome by taking the right steps.

Thanks for all the help.

TLDR:
Anyone who has been successful in applying with Academic Misconduct I would appreciate a PM on how you overcame the situation and what schools were you able to receive interviews at as I try and prepare for the next cycle.

Date of submission: 9-1-23
Overall GPA: 3.69
Science GPA: 3.45
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22AA (17PAT) 27OCHEM 23TS 17GC
State of Residence: Left out for privacy

Major: Left Blank

Minority?
No
Reapplicant? NO
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
70 hours 40 general 30 oral surgeon
Volunteering Experience: 100 + 50 done since applying
Research: None
LOR type and strength: 2 professor 1 Dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Academic Misconduct/ Applied for HSPS for Navy and Airforce and hope to hear back soon

School list:

Marquette -
Western U- No Response
Boston U- Rejected

Midwestern AZ- rejected (Stated academic conduct as reason
UOP- No response
Roseman- No response
UBuffalo- no response
Ohio State- rejected
UCSF- rejected
Ucolorado- No response

additional state schools - rejection
you didn't tell us your state of residence, and your list is incomplete
it's difficult to give advice to someone who is purposely withholding information...

Members don't see this ad :)
Under what conditions would Midwestern reconsider your application" Would it ever reconsider your application?

Your 17 PAT does raise some concerns since I see no other evidence of fine manual dexterity.

You need more clinical and non-clinical experience hours. Of course, you refrain to tell us details so it's not clear whether the hours you have put in will fit the bill. I don't see anything with mission fit, so it's just as easy to reject your application since you have one big reason to reject you and no other reasons to counterbalance. Again, it's just based on what you wrote here.
Thanks for the response. As part of my Volunteer I have made an effort to add Manual dexterity work that is good advice thank you. I'm not sure what you mean by mission fit but I do agree more clinical hours is a good idea. I was thinking of trying to get a dental assistant job as my next step.

you didn't tell us your state of residence, and your list is incomplete
it's difficult to give advice to someone who is purposely withholding information...
The overall purpose of my post was to gain information from those with similar experiences to mine to try and improve my application and to find out if any schools that students had previous experience with had been less or more favorable to someone in my position. I understand schools have preference to people from different regions but for privacy reasons I figured I would just ask more broadly. I can PM my residence if needed I just don't see how that would change if a person has similar experiences to me and has advice to share as I am open to hearing about any school or circumstance. My ECs list was also purposefully left broad for similar reasons but still got very helpful advice from the other commentator who recommended that I with a low PAT score should focus on manual dexterity. I'm more than happy to add additional information if you feel you have any advice to offer that you need specific information for.

The overall purpose of my post was to gain information from those with similar experiences to mine to try and improve my application and to find out if any schools that students had previous experience with had been less or more favorable to someone in my position. I understand schools have preference to people from different regions but for privacy reasons I figured I would just ask more broadly. I can PM my residence if needed I just don't see how that would change if a person has similar experiences to me and has advice to share as I am open to hearing about any school or circumstance. My ECs list was also purposefully left broad for similar reasons but still got very helpful advice from the other commentator who recommended that I with a low PAT score should focus on manual dexterity. I'm more than happy to add additional information if you feel you have any advice to offer that you need specific information for.
noted...

Just realize in the end, as a dentist, you ask have to be able to seek yourself. We can talk generalities but you are still more than your numbers. The best dentists share themselves with their patients, and by not sharing more of yourself, you shortchange yourself from a true assessment of your chances. If you keep comparing yourself, you will become obsessed with why you didn't get opportunities or earn as much as a peer.

Yes, make sure your basics are covered, but don't set your expectations too unreasonably. We advise in probabilities.