2026 School Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureVetSomewhere

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey to anyone that clicks on this thread! I was just looking ahead to this upcoming application cycle and was looking for any possible suggestions. I'm super interested in schools overseas (Sydney, Dublin, Glasgow, etc.) but I don't know much about them. Not to say I wouldn't be ecstatic to go to UGA or somewhere in the states but just keeping all options open. I have a relatively low GPA (3.13) with a degree in Sport Management. Since being back in school I have gotten 6 A's and 1 B in all the prerequisites I needed for vet schools so I'm hoping my recent track record will help. I'm 28 years old and have worked at a winery since being out of school as well as for the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United soccer team. I don't have a lot of vet hours either because I quit my job last December to pursue vet school. It's just tough to know what schools are looking for and being non-traditional I just want to know what I can be doing. My GPA isn't going to change much and I can't really afford to work at a vet clinic with all the bills I have to pay. Any advice on school options (in America and outside) would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're open to schools outside the US I would also encourage you to look at University of Saskatchewan and Atlantic Vet College in Prince Edward Island Canada - great schools for international students (as long as you like the cold lol)!

UGA because it’s cheap!

I was a non-traditional student and also couldn’t leave my job because of money but I was able to moonlight in a small animal clinic and took vacation days to shadow in other fields of vet med. My cGPA was lower than yours but I did really well in my prereqs so I had a strong last 45 credit GPA. I was accepted to UGA as a GA resident my first application cycle. (I only chose to attend VMCVM because I’m on the GI Bill so both schools are the same cost to me ... otherwise I 100% would’ve gone to UGA! Can’t beat that tuition!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey to anyone that clicks on this thread! I was just looking ahead to this upcoming application cycle and was looking for any possible suggestions. I'm super interested in schools overseas (Sydney, Dublin, Glasgow, etc.) but I don't know much about them. Not to say I wouldn't be ecstatic to go to UGA or somewhere in the states but just keeping all options open. I have a relatively low GPA (3.13) with a degree in Sport Management. Since being back in school I have gotten 6 A's and 1 B in all the prerequisites I needed for vet schools so I'm hoping my recent track record will help. I'm 28 years old and have worked at a winery since being out of school as well as for the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United soccer team. I don't have a lot of vet hours either because I quit my job last December to pursue vet school. It's just tough to know what schools are looking for and being non-traditional I just want to know what I can be doing. My GPA isn't going to change much and I can't really afford to work at a vet clinic with all the bills I have to pay. Any advice on school options (in America and outside) would be greatly appreciated!
Here is the obligatory asking as to why you are pursuing vet med. haha

Seriously though, a lot of people have a romantic notion about what we do all day, and that is why veterinary hours are so important. The debt is real. You should be doing everything as financially responsibly as you can, because you may find yourself in the field and graduated, not enjoying yourself like you thought and not being able to leave because the debt prevents it. You really need to have a good feel for the day to day life in multiple environments to make sure you are not one burned out in a couple years out looking for any exit.

Caveat, I am not one who necessarily regrets the decision, but I am definitely already doing everything I can to have as early retirement as possible. This field is exhausting physically and emotionally and it takes a lot to have any sort of longevity.

Reactions: 2 users
Heads up that Glasgow requires a 3.4 GPA, as do most of the UK schools. I don't think there are any AVMA-accredited UK schools that take less than a 3.4 GPA? Dublin will take a 3.2 GPA and non-science/animal degree for their 5 year program, though.