232 on Step 1, Advice on Residency Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a9_7

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanted advice from those who are more experienced on whether there is more of a disadvantage with a score close to the national average to get into good residency programs in large urban cities. I am not interested in ophthalmology, surgical specialties, or Internal Med.

Are the chances good with fields such as Diagnostic Radiology , Anesthesiology, EM? As I do not know exactly what I want to do yet. Basically other than super competitive fields, are there still limitations with this score?
I've seen the averages nrmp website, but just wanted input if there is a disadvantage of getting into good programs with lower 230s step scores, as there will be those with super high step scores also applying to the same programs as well.
I go to an MD school in the US.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Just wanted advice from those who are more experienced on whether there is more of a disadvantage with a score close to the national average to get into good residency programs in large urban cities. I am not interested in ophthalmology, surgical specialties, or Internal Med.

Are the chances good with fields such as Diagnostic Radiology , Anesthesiology, EM? As I do not know exactly what I want to do yet. Basically other than super competitive fields, are there still limitations with this score?
I've seen the averages nrmp website, but just wanted input if there is a disadvantage of getting into good programs with lower 230s step scores, as there will be those with super high step scores also applying to the same programs as well.
I go to an MD school in the US.

Thanks!

Being at or around average on Step 1 is actually a great place to be when applying to most of the noncompetitive specialties.

A 230 will get you interviews at many good/respectable/desirable/academic/quality programs. It probably won't get you into the top 10-20 programs within those specialties, but almost every other program you'd have a good shot at. You'll likely match at your top 3 like most US MDs.

For EM and Anesthesia, you'll match well. For DR, you probably can't be quite as picky just because the field is moderately more competitive with a higher step 1 average (~240). Essentially instead of being in the top half of applicants, you end up closer to the bottom third.

Regardless, you can match at a respectable program in any of those fields with a low 230s on step 1.

Reactions: 3 users
You're probably not getting into the "top programs" of anything, but outside of the most competitive specialties, that score won't really hold you back.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would focus more on what field of medicine is of greatest interest to you. This is a job you will have for 30+ years. Not to be disrespectful, but I wouldn't care if I matched ER at Mass General, there is not enough money to get me to put up with the nonsense that comes through the ER

Reactions: 5 users
Are the chances good with fields such as Diagnostic Radiology , Anesthesiology, EM?
You will match. That's all you need to worry about. Residency programs have to all expose you to the same stuff. If really doesn't matter except for fit and location where you end up.

wouldn't care if I matched ER at Mass General
The EM program at MGH isn't even the best EM program in Boston IMHO.

You will match. That's all you need to worry about. Residency programs have to all expose you to the same stuff. If really doesn't matter except for fit and location where you end up.

The EM program at MGH isn't even the best EM program in Boston IMHO.
I dont disagree, but you clearly missed my point. I dont care if I matched EM at (Fill in your favorite Ivy)..., there is not enough money to get me to put up with the nonsense that comes through the ER.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll be fine for EM. Most programs have a minimum score that they want you to meet, then after that it's all about the SLOEs. I can't imagine there are many programs with a minimum score above 240.