250 word personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrhythmiasofuncertainty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying to a guaranteed admission program at my school. The catch is they only give us 250 words for our personal statements. I also have a 250 word "essay" on what makes me unique.
I'm going to talk about my job as an anesthesia tech for the unique statement because I get to view many aspects of medicine.

However, I'm struggling to figure out what I want to say in my personal statement. There is not one golden sentence that explains why I want to be a physician and I don't feel like I can cover the question in 250 words.

I grew up a military child and have worked in EMS, so I want to talk about my desire to work in the military. Yet I know many students have worked in EMS and I don't want to sound generic.

Any tips?
Also, do medical schools look down on students who are choosing the military path?

Members don't see this ad.

getting to know the different aspects of medicine makes you unique? how does that tell school about yourselef? your character?

Reactions: 1 user
Anesthesia tech doesn't make you unique in the slightest. Most other applicants will have some tech, scribe, EMS, shadowing, bedpan emptying, or patient greeting experience that they will frame as "viewing many aspects of medicine." If you must, use that experience in your personal statement, and consider the military aspect for uniqueness.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need a "golden sentence" that explains why you want to be a physician, but 250 words is enough to tell a good, condensed answer for why you want to enter medicine if you really know why. Being concise is good.

Okay thank you guys I've realized you're right. So then for the unique part would you recommend me talking about my military goals and why I want to go that route, my desire to continue with a focus on research, or that I'll be spending next year in Italy working on an ambulance and in their hospital. I feel like after next year I'll have a good topic for that question, but right now I'm pretty limited.