26 DAT - 3.3 GPA. Haven't heard back yet for a single interview. When should I worry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justin.shaw4324

Reaction score
26 AA, 24 PAT.
3.3 GPA (weak point)
Master's degree in cancer research
Very close to recommendation letter writers (one a Dean, another director of a PhD program)
100 hours shadowing (maybe another weak point?)
Many many hours of community volunteering

I only applied to the 3 schools in my state (Texas) this go-around - to me, a second chance at staying close to home is worth possibly having to apply again with a wider net.

Anyway, with my DAT score I thought I would have had at least one interview. I understand that DAT scores aren't everything...but I thought the rest of my application was reasonable.

When should I start to worry? And is there any polite way to somehow contact a school to check up on my application?

In advance, I sincerely appreciate all of your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

when did you submit?
what is your graduate gpa?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What school can you apply to with only 2 letters of rec?
I never indicated those were the only 2. Notice I intentionally chose "another" instead of "the other".

The one I did not mention was from the dentist I spent the majority of my time shadowing with....which everybody includes in their application.

holy schnikes
I don't know what to say...
I appreciate your back and forth with me.

Any opinions on if there's a good way to contact a dental school? and at what time it may (if ever) be appropriate to do so?

I appreciate your back and forth with me.

Any opinions on if there's a good way to contact a dental school? and at what time it may (if ever) be appropriate to do so?

I've seen so many posts like this that I'm beginning to think some schools view certain applicants as "too good" for them. Your stats are so crazy. Maybe they think you're going to go a more competitive dental school. I would just wait out a little more. Maybe they'll invite you post-december when they see you haven't been accepted anywhere else and then they'll try to snag you as fast as they can lol

Basically if I were you right now, I would give it another 3-4 months before I started stressing.

I've seen so many posts like this that I'm beginning to think some schools view certain applicants as "too good" for them. Your stats are so crazy. Maybe they think you're going to go a more competitive dental school. I would just wait out a little more. Maybe they'll invite you post-december when they see you haven't been accepted anywhere else and then they'll try to snag you as fast as they can lol

Basically if I were you right now, I would give it another 3-4 months before I started stressing.
if that occurs, it's at private schools where people with high stats have cheaper options
in this case, the OP is instate, and the state schools are the cheapest options by far

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools value patience. The DAT scores will get you noted, but don't expect to be the first pick. Even dental schools may have an alpha complex.

What i did was shadowing and volunteering a little more then Send them an email with some updates and squeeze in the question of you application statue! End it with how you love that school and would be honor to be apart of it. Good luck

What i did was shadowing and volunteering a little more then Send them an email with some updates and squeeze in the question of you application statue! End it with how you love that school and would be honor to be apart of it. Good luck
My dude...that's a killer idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Texas too with a good DAT score (25) and lower ish GPA (3.5) with only one interview. I think Texas schools value GPA more than DAT score based on what I'm seeing on the forums, but the cycles not over yet and hopefully you'll hear back soon. A couple of my friends in dental school right now interviewed around Dec/Jan and got accepted in February so I wouldn't worry too much until then!

I only applied to the 3 schools in my state (Texas) this go-around - to me, a second chance at staying close to home is worth possibly having to apply again with a wider net.

No matter how your stats may look (above average DAT/below average GPA) only applying to 3 schools is a big gamble...it seems like you have already taken that risk into account. Hang in there and good luck!

Last edited:
Hmm.. There is no point in applying to schools one has no intention of attending.

Reactions: 6 users
26 AA, 24 PAT.
3.3 GPA (weak point)
Master's degree in cancer research
Very close to recommendation letter writers (one a Dean, another director of a PhD program)
100 hours shadowing (maybe another weak point?)
Many many hours of community volunteering

Anyway, with my DAT score I thought I would have had at least one interview. I understand that DAT scores aren't everything...but I thought the rest of my application was reasonable.

When should I start to worry? And is there any polite way to somehow contact a school to check up on my application?

In advance, I sincerely appreciate all of your advice.
I would definitely give the schools a call, Your stats look good with the exception of the GPA but you compensated by getting a Master's degree. You could even go to the school and try to ask someone in person(if you are lucky you might be able to speck with someone in admissions) .Dress up and be polite and just ask. You need to know what is preventing you from getting an interview so you can fix it if possible. I agree the TX schools can be tough, but going in person rather than, email, phone call can make a difference, I have seen it work before.

BTW, Congrats on the great DAT scores and your other accomplishments, wishing you the best!

Just my 2 cents..Nancy

I would definitely give the schools a call, Your stats look good with the exception of the GPA but you compensated by getting a Master's degree. You could even go to the school and try to ask someone in person(if you are lucky you might be able to speck with someone in admissions) .Dress up and be polite and just ask. You need to know what is preventing you from getting an interview so you can fix it if possible. I agree the TX schools can be tough, but going in person rather than, email, phone call can make a difference, I have seen it work before.
BTW, Congrats on the great DAT scores and your other accomplishments, wishing you the best!
Just my 2 cents..Nancy
Is this advice good for everyone that has not received an interview invitation or is it reserved for superstars?

Do you want to attend a Texas school or become a dentist? If it's the latter then apply to more schools.

Applying to 3 schools is not smart. If you are only willing to attend school in a particular state, then you don't want to be a dentist that badly. Many of your peers will attend any school that accepts them, so you are suddenly significantly LESS competitive than a candidate with poorer scores who applies more broadly.

Your DAT is stellar. If you had applied to 10-15 schools you would have multiple interviews by now.

Do you want to attend a Texas school or become a dentist? If it's the latter then apply to more schools.
A very immature and hostile way to view entering potential financial suicide. OP has made it clear they understand the implications of applying to 3 schools, financially they made a wise decision.

Everybody needs to stop romanticizing dentistry as some sort of privilege and that it's worth it at any cost. That's the mindset that schools like NYU want you to have. Dentistry is just a job after all. A good job if you can get into a affordable dental school, but a job nonetheless.

Reactions: 9 users
A very immature and hostile way to view entering potential financial suicide. OP has made it clear they understand the implications of applying to 3 schools, financially they made a wise decision.

Everybody needs to stop romanticizing dentistry as some sort of privilege and that it's worth it at any cost. That's the mindset that schools like NYU want you to have. Dentistry is just a job after all. A good job if you can get into a affordable dental school, but a job nonetheless.

Hmm I don't really agree. By not getting into dental school you are losing out on 1 year of dental income (100-300k right there itself) and you are also missing out on 1 year of investing, which if you are doing long term investments like S&P 500 then that can be a loss of 100's of thousands of dollars at the end of your 30+ year investment (remember compounded interest on a multi-million portfolio). So essentially you are sacrificing multiple 100's of thousands of dollars to go to a Texas school and delay being a dentist for 1 year. Not to mention you also lost 1 year in retirement savings which means you will have to work 1 more year towards the end of your career. Now think about what if OP doesn't get into Texas schools a 2nd year in a row....

The smart move financially in my opinion is going to dental school 1 year earlier. Think long term rather than short term. Plus OP doesn't have to apply to USC or NYU, there are other cheaper schools too.

I went to a Texas university and I know that some of my advisors told us pre-dents to apply to Texas schools our first round only because of cost (cost of applying, interviewing, and of attending, etc) and if we didn't get in, to apply OOS the second cycle. Some people listen to this advice, others don't.

I went to a Texas university and I know that some of my advisors told us pre-dents to apply to Texas schools our first round only because of cost (cost of applying, interviewing, and of attending, etc) and if we didn't get in, to apply OOS the second cycle. Some people listen to this advice, others don't.
Currently attending a Texas university and I'd have to say the vast majority of people I know who applied this cycle only applied IS. You can buy a home in Texas and go to school for less than the cost of some OOS tuition alone.

Currently attending a Texas university and I'd have to say the vast majority of people I know who applied this cycle only applied IS. You can buy a home in Texas and go to school for less than the cost of some OOS tuition alone.
yup! And Texas doesn't have income tax, which is another variable that can help you pay off debt

I have a dying family member that I don't want to be away from just yet.

Things aren't always simple. As I stated, it's worth me waiting an extra year so I can apply again with a wider net next year.

The smart move financially in my opinion is going to dental school 1 year earlier.
False. The smart move financially is to only go to a school that is reasonably priced. There were people in my class who only applied to my state school. If I was a Texas resident, I would have only applied to texas schools as well. I'm not even aware of any affordable schools outside of state schools these days. You can reasonably pay off Texas school dental debt within 5 years or less. Most private schools will take more than double that time. Remember, compound interest.

I have a dying family member that I don't want to be away from just yet.

Things aren't always simple. As I stated, it's worth me waiting an extra year so I can apply again with a wider net next year.
I completely understand. Family always comes first.

Good luck