27 MD applicant with a PS-6 what do now URM & veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derpz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a SC resident so we have lower stats options in state - MUSC, SC, SC-Greenville

just got my MCAT (PS-6/VR-11/BS-10) back and am/was applying this cycle...

do I push forward w/the awful PS score? My practice test avg on PS was 10.5

Very confident I can push into PS-11/12 range as my avg was a 10.5 with poor prep this summer due to military reserve commitments. I'm at a top 5 undergrad, boast a 3.93 GPA, have all the boxes checked outside this test. I was aiming for the SF bay area schools.

Also what happens if I only apply to my state schools, get an acceptance at one of them, and defer a year? Does it preclude me from re-applying and going to other schools assuming my MCAT retake this fall is more in the 33-35 range? I'm a senior but can drag out an extra year of undergrad with financial aid covering it.

Members don't see this ad.

Central American - Latino

Members don't see this ad :)
Mother is Salvadoran - my community service has been heavily focused on VA hospital opportunities, and other assorted veteran centric clinical work + research. Spanish skills need about 6 months intensive to be useful, have fallen off due to years of disuse.

Looks like I'm better off waiting another year and fixing this score. I'll have 2 publications by early next year, given my aims (UCSF/Stanford) sounds like I need to make sure that PS goes up and stay on top of everything else AND apply soon as things open next spring.

I'm a SC resident so we have lower stats options in state - MUSC, SC, SC-Greenville

just got my MCAT (PS-6/VR-11/BS-10) back and am/was applying this cycle...

do I push forward w/the awful PS score? My practice test avg on PS was 10.5

Very confident I can push into PS-11/12 range as my avg was a 10.5 with poor prep this summer due to military reserve commitments. I'm at a top 5 undergrad, boast a 3.93 GPA, have all the boxes checked outside this test. I was aiming for the SF bay area schools.

Also what happens if I only apply to my state schools, get an acceptance at one of them, and defer a year? Does it preclude me from re-applying and going to other schools assuming my MCAT retake this fall is more in the 33-35 range? I'm a senior but can drag out an extra year of undergrad with financial aid covering it.
I would definitely retake the MCAT, especially since you were scoring much higher on your practices. PS is hard because it is the first section and I assume nerves just got to you before you could really sink your teeth into the test. If you're a senior and have everything else ready to go, I would go ahead and apply and let them know a new MCAT score is forthcoming. Also, schools like re-applicants. Go ahead and apply this year and if you get rejected...... apply again next year with a new MCAT score and more extracurriculars.... that will really help you...shows commitment. Good luck!

Note: Many schools won't even consider applicants with a section below 7....that's a requirement in some of the schools I applied to...

Be careful of the above advice. It may not be accurate. Many schools(if not all MD schools) will only take MCAT scores from September and before for an application cycle. You need to check with each school you are applying to and see when their MCAT cutoff date is for this cycle. I can't tell from your post but I am assuming you have completed the primary an have been verified. If not bag this cycle entirely and start fresh next June. Be all set to apply the day AMCAS opens. Retake the MCAT ork on your ECs. etc. Good luck

Also, schools like re-applicants. Go ahead and apply this year and if you get rejected...... apply again next year with a new MCAT score and more extracurriculars.... that will really help you...shows commitment. Good luck!
This is not the case in CA (or at many top schools).
The best chance is a strong first application.

Am verified and only have 1 school I'm applying to at present: MUSC...am wondering if I should push through and see if I can't get a spot there and if my scores do improve (snagged a 12/6 test date) apply again first day next cycle? I feel like my EC's are quite strong and at this point the only thing changing will be my score + 2 potential publications.

Would you be happy at MUSC or the other SC state schools?

Given your GPA, ECs, and URM status, you may very well have a decent shot at those schools this cycle.

However, the last thing you want to do is to get an acceptance then change your mind afterwards for various reasons (higher MCAT score or second thoughts). If you are accepted to medical school and decide to turn it down you have to report it on AMCAS. This is a huge red flag that in itself may severely limit your chances at top schools (especially considering your current MCAT score). The only situations where this might be acceptable would be for a personal illness or family emergency, not because you want to reapply to go to a better school. In addition, you'd be throwing away any chance of ever going to the school that previously accepted you.