28s Mcat, Need Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DR. BOSTON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So similar to many of you i need some advice regarding mcat scores etc...here are my stats

Phys: 12
Bio:10
V: 6
Writing: S

Clearly my verbal is less than stellar....My gpa is around a 3.6 from a rather highly respected university....While I believe my verbal definately fell on the low end of my range, it was partially attributed to the proctor not giving enough time (which was documented). I contacted aamc and am filing a report to see if they can do something to indicate this problem to med schools. I am pretty sure that I cannot get a better score in physical and probably not much better in bio....however, my verbal relalistically could've been about 2 points higher......what are my shots, what schools do you think would take this??

Also, my Extra curricular and LOR are very good and as I have taken part in some very significant volunteer/research activities...

Im thinking i'll apply and see what happens before I consider taking it again in april...anyone have similar unbalanced scores like this and got in???

What would you do??

Members don't see this ad.

that 6 verbal might hurt you. but i'm not talking from experience. as someone else on this board mentioned, adcom's look at verbal as a benchmark for passing the boards (~9 is the cut-off)....your gpa is good, but i don't know if it's excellent enough to make up for the verbal.

have you done very well in other english classes? what about your past verbal scores on other standardized tests.

overall, the 6 is a bit concerning, even though your PS and BS scores are good

I am not sure if you want to apply in universities in the states or canada, but I am from montreal and I know many people who got into mcgill with 28 . They don't really care about the brake down of the score, they just care about the overall score. Also your gpa is pretty good to apply.
I hope this helps

DR. BOSTON said:
Hey everyone. So similar to many of you i need some advice regarding mcat scores etc...here are my stats

Phys: 12
Bio:10
V: 6
Writing: S

Clearly my verbal is less than stellar....My gpa is around a 3.6 from a rather highly respected university....While I believe my verbal definately fell on the low end of my range, it was partially attributed to the proctor not giving enough time (which was documented). I contacted aamc and am filing a report to see if they can do something to indicate this problem to med schools. I am pretty sure that I cannot get a better score in physical and probably not much better in bio....however, my verbal relalistically could've been about 2 points higher......what are my shots, what schools do you think would take this??

Also, my Extra curricular and LOR are very good and as I have taken part in some very significant volunteer/research activities...

Im thinking i'll apply and see what happens before I consider taking it again in april...anyone have similar unbalanced scores like this and got in???

What would you do??

I was really surprised at my score (27). My practice ones has been about 30But my gpa is decent and my extracurriculars are okay so I am in the same boat. I think I am just going to apply. I found that mdapplicants.com was a huge help in gauging where i am in terms of where i can get into. GW is my top choice and my #s and extracurriculars seem to fall in line with them so i feel confident. i would say if you have the extracurriculars and gpa to act as a buffer then apply.