29 Year Old Parent Considering Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inked01

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I will try and make this as short (yet as detailed) as possible.

Background about me: Basically, I am a non-traditional student. I am 29 years old (turning 30 in October). I graduated with my Bachelor in Finance in 2021. I was in school on-and-off for a long time. At one point, I came to terms thinking I would never finish -- but I did. Also had my first baby in February 2020 (He is about 2.5 years old now).

I was working in banks for about 5 years, so Finance made the most sense to pursue. After being "too deep" into the major, I just finished out my degree in Finance. At first I thought it was what I wanted, but I realize I hate working in banks and financial institutions. It is just not for me. Does not bring me joy or excitement. Also hard to find career opportunities in different sectors. Everyone and their mom seems to have a Bachelor in Business Administration or a MBA now.

When I was a kid, I thought I wanted to be a veterinarian. Up until senior year of high school, that is what I wanted until I found out some things about the veterinary profession (debt to income ratio, specifically) that really turned me off. One day I decided I was good at math (worst mistake ever) and I switched to the idea of majoring in business.

I am now circling back to medicine -- even though I originally wanted to be a veterinarian, medicine and the clinical care always appealed to me. I am now thinking about applying to medical school, but I would need to take all the prerequisites. I am struggling because:

\#1) I do not know how I am going to pay for prerequisites. I am reading different things that postbaccs are not usually eligible aid, but a second bachelor degree might be? I don't know -- I have read SO many conflicting things at this point, I am so confused.

\#2) I do not know how else to take these classes other than online, because I am a parent to a toddler with pretty much no help. His father works 80+ hours a week because I am unemployed (laid off back in October). I search for jobs every day but the job market has been tough. Either way, it has been working out (sort of) because I can stay home with our son and we do not have to pay for daycare, which we can't afford right now anyway. I look for a job almost every day, so this is bound to change one day and I will be working full time on top of everything. I am just concerned because I have read (and been told) that medical schools look down upon online courses? Some schools don't accept them at all. But I don't have time to go on-campus.

\#3) Worried about expanding my family. I want another baby in the near future. How will I manage that if I am in medical school? Also, when people are in medical school, does their spouse/partner typically stay home or do they continue to work? How do bills get paid?

\#4) Low GPA -- have to kick butt in prerequisites and MCAT to even have a shot.

It's just all a lot. And I feel crazy for even considering medical school, but I have seen and heard so many stories of people that were able to do it! I just don't know how all the logistics work. Any advice, opinions, and/or encouragement (or discouragement if that's how you feel) welcomed.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Background about me: Basically, I am a non-traditional student. I am 29 years old (turning 30 in October). I graduated with my Bachelor in Finance in 2021. I was in school on-and-off for a long time. At one point, I came to terms thinking I would never finish -- but I did. Also had my first baby in February 2020 (He is about 2.5 years old now).

I was working in banks for about 5 years, so Finance made the most sense to pursue. After being "too deep" into the major, I just finished out my degree in Finance. At first I thought it was what I wanted, but I realize I hate working in banks and financial institutions. It is just not for me. Does not bring me joy or excitement. Also hard to find career opportunities in different sectors. Everyone and their mom seems to have a Bachelor in Business Administration or a MBA now.

When I was a kid, I thought I wanted to be a veterinarian. Up until senior year of high school, that is what I wanted until I found out some things about the veterinary profession (debt to income ratio, specifically) that really turned me off. One day I decided I was good at math (worst mistake ever) and I switched to the idea of majoring in business.

I am now circling back to medicine -- even though I originally wanted to be a veterinarian, medicine and the clinical care always appealed to me. I am now thinking about applying to medical school, but I would need to take all the prerequisites. I am struggling because:

\#1) I do not know how I am going to pay for prerequisites. I am reading different things that postbaccs are not usually eligible aid, but a second bachelor degree might be? I don't know -- I have read SO many conflicting things at this point, I am so confused.

\#2) I do not know how else to take these classes other than online, because I am a parent to a toddler with pretty much no help. His father works 80+ hours a week because I am unemployed (laid off back in October). I search for jobs every day but the job market has been tough. Either way, it has been working out (sort of) because I can stay home with our son and we do not have to pay for daycare, which we can't afford right now anyway. I look for a job almost every day, so this is bound to change one day and I will be working full time on top of everything. I am just concerned because I have read (and been told) that medical schools look down upon online courses? Some schools don't accept them at all. But I don't have time to go on-campus.

\#3) Worried about expanding my family. I want another baby in the near future. How will I manage that if I am in medical school? Also, when people are in medical school, does their spouse/partner typically stay home or do they continue to work? How do bills get paid?

\#4) Low GPA -- have to kick butt in prerequisites and MCAT to even have a shot.

It's just all a lot. And I feel crazy for even considering medical school, but I have seen and heard so many stories of people that were able to do it! I just don't know how all the logistics work. Any advice, opinions, and/or encouragement (or discouragement if that's how you feel) welcomed.

Thanks.

Medicine is a great field, for some people. I would suggest trying to shadow some physicians to better understand what the job entails, and whether it is a field you truly would like to embark. It is expensive, and better to identify early that it is not truly the field that you want to focus.

Having a child in medical school can be done, but can be very challenging. The other question to consider, is how does your other half feel about this? While their feelings on the matter should not drive the decision, having someone who is not supportive is setting yourself up for a very challenging time in medical school.

The finances will be challenging. Is your other half going to follow you around in medical school and residency? If not, there may be additional expenses (ie travel) that would need to be considered as well as day care. Especially if there is another child that may later be introduced into the equation.

What kind of support network do you and your other half have in place should you decide to go into medical school? Is this network flexible and able to help you out in times of need (e.g. need daycare coverage because the child has a fever, etc)?

Some things to consider. Other posters will also have some important insights.

Thanks.

Wook

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks.
Definitely apply! I went to med school at 29 as well plus I am an immigrant, came here at 21 and my English too be honest still not superb. I didn’t go to med school back home. I went to DO school here and am at my last year of IM residency. I didn’t have child in med school but I did IVF though med school and residency and finally got pregnant in the second year of residency.

Also besides myself I know a bunch of people who are in training in their 30s and have families and kids. I know people who started residency in 38-39 year old and now in competitive fellowships like cards, or initially were accepted in programs like surgery, radiology, derm.
Radiology you can do at any age.

Work a few years and save up the money
You're in a marathon now, not a sprint. Wait until your child is older. Online classes were required for health reasons during COVID, but those days are waning, and a fair number of med schools want you to take in person classes.

Loans, loans, loans. BTW, I've had students who had > 1 child while in med school.
Well,, yeah

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hijack the post but,

@Goro, if med schools prefer in person classes, would it be a disadvantage to do an online SMP such as UNT’s? I’d appreciate your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think as mentioned it also highly depends on your partners support in all of this. Does he have a job where he can move halfway across the country if needed with you? If he can’t are you willing to do long distance with him and most likely be away from your kid for a huge length of time if you don’t want to move them? Are you okay with delaying another child for potentially 6 ish years? Sure you can have a child in medical school but I imagine it makes the work much greater for both you and your partner.

It might be best to keep searching for the job and taking classes part time but in person to save up money at the same time.

Not saying it can’t be done, but you have a lot of hurdles ahead that don’t only affect you but also greatly affect your partner and if he isn’t 100% on board it can go down some very bad routes.

Sorry to hijack the post but,

@Goro, if med schools prefer in person classes, would it be a disadvantage to do an online SMP such as UNT’s? I’d appreciate your input.
I think that you will be okay. There are still the number of programs that are maintaining their online presence.