2nd time app.. what do I need to change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apple8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sooo.. I'm reapplying while still waitlisted by my 2 state schools (the only places I got interviews at in the fall)

here are my stats:
-top 20 university (top 10 premed program), double major in science and anthro
-3.5 overall, 3.3 science but... I got a D in organic chem first semester sophomore year... afterwards I retook at a state school, got an A, and then got an A- second semester at my university. Basically after that one semester, I got my grades in check and have had a 3.8 the rest of the time... I think this is really what hurts me in terms of applying to private schools
-also, my MCAT is just okay (29Q) which I am retaking in July
-and my experiences are basically my saving graces, I've done two independent research projects and a group one, one of which was for a hospital and the other I wrote grants to do it abroad for 2 months and presented at a major conference
-plus I have lots of clinical volunteering.. that's not any part of the problem....

so I guess my questions are:

• is it worth it to even apply to private universities/which ones should I? (I think the initial D really hurts me, plus my low GPA the first 3 semesters at my university)
  • should I rewrite my personal statement? I am applying to a couple of the same schools but some new ones too.
I really don't want to waste money this time around if I have no chance getting into private schools... help!!

Members don't see this ad.

All of your stats are below average (gpa, bcpm, mcat).
That's not a good combo.

If $ is not an issue, you can apply again this year, but I'm not sure you'll have any better luck.

You need to improve at least 1 if not all 3 of your stats.
The MCAT is the easiest to fix.
You might want to look into some SMPs.
That plus an MCAT retake would put you in a much better position.

Not sure about the "private school" question.
Each school is different. Some private schools are very competitive, others are some of the "easiest" to get into. Check out the AMCAS book or individual websites if you want to know admission stats.

It seems your only chance now is the upcoming MCAT. I think you can still get into an M.D. school, assuming you will rock on MCAT (I'm talking about 34+). Try to apply broadly (especially low-tier schools) and early. Take a look at MSAR to see where your stats can put you. Or you can do a post bacc program to improve your academic credentials and apply next summer.