2nd year at MWU-AZ ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwuazama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ask me anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Can I ask you what you did mostly in terms of clinical work your first year? Thank you for doing this by the way.

We did a lot of waxing during the first half of the year then went on to class 1 preps and restorations with almalgam and composites. Also endo access and I believe we did a class 5 right at the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask me anything.
-what have you done clinically?
-how large is your class and do you guys get along? Any gunners and how is the atmosphere?
-how are the professors?
-any cons of the school that you can think of or your classmates have expressed?
-vanilla or chocolate?

-what have you done clinically?
-how large is your class and do you guys get along? Any gunners and how is the atmosphere?
-how are the professors?
-any cons of the school that you can think of or your classmates have expressed?
-vanilla or chocolate?

-clinically, well we are at the end of our second year now so we have done almost everything except for RPD preps. We have done endo twice on natural teeth.
-we have 140. Yeah we mostly get along, definitely a few cliques here and there
-professors are awesome, amazing faculty who truly care about your education
-slides they give us to study and test us on are very poor, exam questions are also sometimes poorly written, and....cost of school is always a topic of complaint
-vanilla

Cost aside, do you think you made the right choice in choosing MWU?
What is a typical day like during D1? Lectures 8-12, 1 hour lunch, then 3 or 4 more hours of lecture/sim lab?
How many hours per night do you spend studying?

How much hours do you study daily?
Are there single girls that are approachable?

Reactions: 2 users
Cost aside, do you think you made the right choice in choosing MWU?
What is a typical day like during D1? Lectures 8-12, 1 hour lunch, then 3 or 4 more hours of lecture/sim lab?
How many hours per night do you spend studying?

Cost aside, yeah as I am doing good and the program is less stressful at the end of second year.

Yeah lectures were usually 8-12 and then maybe till 3 on some days. They have the lectures recorded now though so you won't miss anything by not attending. Only the dental lectures are compulsory for attendance and those were only a couple of hours a week. Sim clinic is on Mondays from 10-4 for D1. D1 has 2 exams weekly, basic science exam on tues and dental exam on Thursday. Working in sim clinic the whole of Monday when you have a 7am exam the next day was definitely hella stressful!

Had to study a lot in first year, like 5-6 hrs everyday, but second year is more clinical so I only study on weekends now really.

What are you wearing right now?

Reactions: 1 users
What is the latest date that you've heard one of your classmates got accepted to MWU-AZ? And was this person an out of state student? Sorry for the specificity:nailbiting: I'm currently on the alternate list but MWU is my #1. I'm trying to get a sense of when I can pretty much assume it's not gonna happen..

June is the latest I've heard, he was instate. The thing is the moment anyone gets an offer from their state school, they'll likely drop the MWU offer, so yes the alternate list does move.

Any opinion on the new Dean?
As far as you know, are there plenty of patients during d3 and d4?

Members don't see this ad :)
He will be a good dean in my mind, he officially becomes the new dean in June so we'll have to wait to see what changes he has in stall for the school.

Right now there is because the D3 and D4s have a class of about 100-110. When you guys reach those years it'll be 140 class size each so obviously the clinical experience is going to diminish a bit, by how much? We'll have to wait and see.

How do your classmates feel about the level of debt they are incurring and their confidence of paying it back?

How do your classmates feel about the level of debt they are incurring and their confidence of paying it back?

Ugh don't even get me started on this topic. Most of those who are non-military, with no parents or spouses helping out, think they can pay their 450-500k loan in a few years. There are misconceptions about how much associates make, most think they will be making 200-350k a year as associates very quickly. What's strange is those who will most likely be more successful: military, parents helping out or parents as dentists who are inheriting practices seem to be much more realistic about potential incomes.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh don't even get me started on this topic. Most of those who are non-military, with no parents or spouses helping out, think they can pay their 450-500k loan in a few years. There are misconceptions about how much associates make, most think they will be making 200-350k a year as associates very quickly. What's strange is those who will most likely be more successful: military, parents helping out or parents as dentists who are inheriting practices seem to be much more realistic about potential incomes.

They're in for a nasty surprise.

i'm sorry this is a dental school in america? jeez.

-clinically, well we are at the end of our second year now so we have done almost everything except for RPD preps. We have done endo twice on natural teeth.
-we have 140. Yeah we mostly get along, definitely a few cliques here and there
-professors are awesome, amazing faculty who truly care about your education
-slides they give us to study and test us on are very poor, exam questions are also sometimes poorly written, and....cost of school is always a topic of complaint
-vanilla

just curious, what kind of stuff do you guys do in terms of fixed prosth and aesthetics?

Ask me anything.

1.) Why MWU-AZ?
2.) What other schools did you interview at / get accepted to?
3.) How relevant to d-school is the PAT section of the DAT in your experience honestly?
4.) How much did shadowing impact your knowledge and experience going into d-school?
5.) Which class would you most recommend to undergrads?
6.) You said you studied 5-6 hours during D1, how many hours were you in class on top of that?
7.) Did you manage to find time for other things such as a significant other, exercise, leisure activities, etc?
8.) When do you think it would be best to have children (for the non-tradiational aspiring parents among us)?
9.) How are you planning to pay back your loans? Military? IBR? PAYE? Spouse / parents? Live like a student for a few years?
10.) How is cost of living in AZ?
11.) How do you like living in AZ? Are you from there?
12.) Do you mind sharing your undergraduate stats with us and your DAT (AA/PAT/TS)?

Reactions: 4 users
just curious, what kind of stuff do you guys do in terms of fixed prosth and aesthetics?

Fixed prosth? We are doing bridges right now and we did a lot of veneer preps earlier in the quarter.

1.) Why MWU-AZ?
Comparably same price as other schools I got accepted into. Nice facilities and good weather. Also students I met there seemed to like it there.

2.) What other schools did you interview at / get accepted to?
USC, Nova, NYU, Indiana

3.) How relevant to d-school is the PAT section of the DAT in your experience honestly?
Zero relevance.

4.) How much did shadowing impact your knowledge and experience going into d-school?
Not much actually, physically sitting there and doing dentistry has a physical strain you could never learn from shadowing lol

5.) Which class would you most recommend to undergrads?
Physiology and anatomy

6.) You said you studied 5-6 hours during D1, how many hours were you in class on top of that?
Nope, I did not go to class but on days that I did attend lectures, It was on top of that. But like I said, lectures are video recorded now and the basic science content has been reduced by over 20% from when I was a D1

7.) Did you manage to find time for other things such as a significant other, exercise, leisure activities, etc?
Yeah there's time for anything you wanna make time for but multi-tasking extracurricular activities is hard. E.g want to spend time with spouse, gotta give up spending that time with friends etc

8.) When do you think it would be best to have children (for the non-tradiational aspiring parents among us)?
In third year, a lot more time and more of a regular schedule by then.

9.) How are you planning to pay back your loans? Military? IBR? PAYE? Spouse / parents? Live like a student for a few years?
My spouse is helping me big time.

10.) How is cost of living in AZ?
It's comparatively low. As a student, you can budget to spend less than $1500 a month quite reasonably.

11.) How do you like living in AZ? Are you from there?
Nope I'm OOS. November to Feburary is like heaven here, May to September is like hell.

12.) Do you mind sharing your undergraduate stats with us and your DAT (AA/PAT/TS)?
3.68 gpa. 20 DAT, I cannot remember the details as you tend to forget them after 3 years lol.

Reactions: 2 users
@mwuazama if u don't mind, how much is the price for housing of 1 room by yourself?

The housing price in glendale area for lowest townhouse is 60k-80k. With monthly payment of 400$ (including everything for 30 year fixed), is this less than the housing price you are paying?

if you parents have the money to give you for down payment (~15k), will you choose to buy a house and stay there to go to school so you can at least use your loan to pay the mortage. In the end, those loan money will be converted into another form of property owned by you.

Thank you.

@mwuazama if u don't mind, how much is the price for housing of 1 room by yourself?

The housing price in glendale area for lowest townhouse is 60k-80k. With monthly payment of 400$ (including everything for 30 year fixed), is this less than the housing price you are paying?

if you parents have the money to give you for down payment (~15k), will you choose to buy a house and stay there to go to school so you can at least use your loan to pay the mortage. In the end, those loan money will be converted into another form of property owned by you.

Thank you.

I think the very lowest monthly payment you will find if you survey most of the class is just over the $500 a month mark for rent with utilities included. If I had the down payment money yes I would purchase a home since there is a possibility that you could rent out the spare bedroom and get some money that way, furthermore the housing market in phoenix will surely rise in the next 4 years.

I think the very lowest monthly payment you will find if you survey most of the class is just over the $500 a month mark for rent with utilities included. If I had the down payment money yes I would purchase a home since there is a possibility that you could rent out the spare bedroom and get some money that way, furthermore the housing market in phoenix will surely rise in the next 4 years.

Thank you bro/sis. One last question:

MWU-AZ, or dental school in general, awards scholarship based on merit correct?

is there any type of financial aid award based on family income (I highly doubt this but just to make sure)?

Thus, by putting my name in the ownership of a small home (60k value) will not negatively impact my chance of getting the financial aid (if I qualify and the school has the award) ?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you bro/sis. One last question:

MWU-AZ, or dental school in general, awards scholarship based on merit correct?

is there any type of financial aid award based on family income (I highly doubt this but just to make sure)?

Thus, by putting my name in the ownership of a small home (60k value) will not negatively impact my chance of getting the financial aid (if I qualify and the school has the award) ?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not know of any financial reward package that is based on income. The NHSC scholarship maybe loosely tied to family wealth, but other than that I don't know any.

Bump

Last edited:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but had a question and I think OP is still active on the site:

@mwuazama , i'd be really grateful if you could address these questions:

1) How much time off in each summer do you get, especially after D1 considering that that is when you take Part 1? How many weeks does it take for an avg. student to prepare for Part 1 and do well on it? Main reason I'm asking is that I'm considering doing the HPSP and was wondering if I would have enough time to sneak in a 5 week officer development course in the summer.

2) What kinds of externships does the school allow you to do/help you find? Is there a set number of weeks in the curriculum where you can do such externships? Global service learning trips?

3) Is there a group for HPSP students to get together, learn about the military/get to know each other?

4) How supportive are the faculty in general? What happens if you're not doing well in a course? How involved are D2/D3/D4 students in the D1 students' education?

1. We get 12 weeks off in summer to take boards. You can study typically it in 4-5 weeks of hard studying.

2. Externships? None. Service trips? We go to Tonga yearly but the spaces are very limited, unlikely you will get a spot in your first attempt.

3. I'm sure there is but it is probably not regular meetings or anything. Plenty of HPSP people though so you can definitely ask them questions.

4. Faculty are awesome, very supportive and passionate. If your not doing well, then they have a talk with you, that's about it...im not too sure as I never really struggled. Well there is a program where the D2s review basic science material with the D1s, this is done via volunteers so take that how you will lol

1. We get 12 weeks off in summer to take boards. You can study typically it in 4-5 weeks of hard studying.

2. Externships? None. Service trips? We go to Tonga yearly but the spaces are very limited, unlikely you will get a spot in your first attempt.

3. I'm sure there is but it is probably not regular meetings or anything. Plenty of HPSP people though so you can definitely ask them questions.

4. Faculty are awesome, very supportive and passionate. If your not doing well, then they have a talk with you, that's about it...im not too sure as I never really struggled. Well there is a program where the D2s review basic science material with the D1s, this is done via volunteers so take that how you will lol

if there is no externships and service trips, how can the school maintain their students competitive for specialties such as OMFS or ortho. I thought you had to do 2-3 externships in some programs so they get to know you and more likely to consider you for the specialty residence.

1. What are your study tips?
2. Do you spend more time on didactic classes or in sim lab?
3. Are you aiming to specialize?
4. What do you like most about dental school?
5. What do you like least about dental school?

Thanks for doing this!

if there is no externships and service trips, how can the school maintain their students competitive for specialties such as OMFS or ortho. I thought you had to do 2-3 externships in some programs so they get to know you and more likely to consider you for the specialty residence.

They teach us to slay it clinically and you get amazing letters! Really though, I don't know. There are more to ways to specialize than going and hanging out to get noticed somewhere. But since we have a decent amount of time off, I know people who have gone and done externships at some residency sites (usually for a week, one was gone for 3 weeks). I'm sure it helps, but it's not necessary. I don't know the number of people who apply for residencies from here and maybe those who don't get in stay quiet, but I don't see too big of a problem not getting in from those people who desire to specialize. It seems most of us just want to do general. But I don't personally know anyone who didn't get into their program of choice. I'm sure there are a couple out there. I just haven't heard about it. From this graduating class alone, I know 3 pedo, 1 OMFS, 2 ortho, 1 perio, 2 endos, several GPR/AEGDs.

As for service trips, I suppose we could do more. I suspect there will be more in the future. We've hardly been at this dental school thing for too long and traditions and organizations are still forming. Presently, the Tonga trip is 32 people going this year. It's not as hard to get as some people believe. The organization going is likely going to add a Guatemala trip in the coming years as well. One of the dental frats is wanting to get something going, but it didn't happen this year. AAPHD is forming a chapter and ultimately wants to do a mission trip as well. Also, this is a campus of healthcare students, so there are other organizations outside of just dental that go on trips (there's one going to Guatemala soon that was asking for dental students to join in).

They teach us to slay it clinically and you get amazing letters! Really though, I don't know. There are more to ways to specialize than going and hanging out to get noticed somewhere. But since we have a decent amount of time off, I know people who have gone and done externships at some residency sites (usually for a week, one was gone for 3 weeks). I'm sure it helps, but it's not necessary. I don't know the number of people who apply for residencies from here and maybe those who don't get in stay quiet, but I don't see too big of a problem not getting in from those people who desire to specialize. It seems most of us just want to do general. But I don't personally know anyone who didn't get into their program of choice. I'm sure there are a couple out there. I just haven't heard about it. From this graduating class alone, I know 3 pedo, 1 OMFS, 2 ortho, 1 perio, 2 endos, several GPR/AEGDs.

As for service trips, I suppose we could do more. I suspect there will be more in the future. We've hardly been at this dental school thing for too long and traditions and organizations are still forming. Presently, the Tonga trip is 32 people going this year. It's not as hard to get as some people believe. The organization going is likely going to add a Guatemala trip in the coming years as well. One of the dental frats is wanting to get something going, but it didn't happen this year. AAPHD is forming a chapter and ultimately wants to do a mission trip as well. Also, this is a campus of healthcare students, so there are other organizations outside of just dental that go on trips (there's one going to Guatemala soon that was asking for dental students to join in).

can you elaborate on "more ways to specialize"? How do you know which path to follow when you decide to specialize? for example, for ortho, you need GRE and rank? thats it to apply?

I heard it is increbily competitive to get in dental specialty residence

1. What are your study tips?
2. Do you spend more time on didactic classes or in sim lab?
3. Are you aiming to specialize?
4. What do you like most about dental school?
5. What do you like least about dental school?

Thanks for doing this!

1. Don't let material pile up, study as you go.
2. I'm 2nd year so SIM
3. Nope
4. The faculty are amazing, they really care about your education.
5. The cost is a huge factor.

32 spots for around 480 students? Its hard to get in.

D1s and D2s aren't eligible to go (can't work on live patients yet), so cut that number in half already. The fact that it's sponsored by the Academy of LDS Dentists is a turnoff for some people. It's just how it is. It has nothing to do with religion (only about half that go are even LDS), but some people are uncomfortable with that. Fair enough. You also have to cover your own flight to go. Some people are uncomfortable with that. Lots of D4s just don't want to bother with much of anything D4, so you get only a handful of D3s applying to go during D4. That break when it happens is when a lot of NBDE II studying and taking happens. So it's mostly D2s applying to go during D3. On top of that, part of the application asks about your involvement with the Academy (among other things). Many people who go did nothing with the Academy and will never do anything with it after. They were simply members of the Academy (simply signing up for free). It doesn't take much effort to participate in something. Tomorrow, for instance, you could volunteer at the dentistry merit badge clinic and you're immediately above many others in the pack of potential Tonga-goers. So really, subtract about 400 from your number and that would be a little more accurate. It really isn't that competitive.

Ask me anything.
What was the interview process like?
Do you know if they give any preference to URM students?
How much was your first year...after fees?
What is the curriculum like for the first year? Is it like biochem, anatomy, physiology?
I'm from AZ and would really love to go here, would you recommend mentioning anything or emphasizing on your personal statement?

How is the parking situation @ the dental school? Is it feasible to try to commute in from Phoenix?

What was the interview process like?
What is the curriculum like for the first year? Is it like biochem, anatomy, physiology?
I'm from AZ and would really love to go here, would you recommend mentioning anything or emphasizing on your personal statement?

I have not heard of that, I would assume not.

https://www.midwestern.edu/course-c...ncial-services/glendale-tuition-and-fees.html
It would be around 85k in tuition and fees for the class of 2019.

The curriculum is system based so you learn about the neurosystem in one module, then the cardiovascular system, urinary system etc

Teamwork, they are BIG on that here. Helping other fellow students etc

How is the parking situation @ the dental school? Is it feasible to try to commute in from Phoenix?

Parking is ok on most days, depends what time you get into school really. If you come in for 8am class then you will find parking close to class but any later you probably have to settle for the multistory carpark which is further from the lecture halls but really its only a 5min walk. Yeah some people I know commute from phoenix, its feasible although you would be spending alot of money on gas.

What was orientation like when you started D1?

Boring introduction into MWU for all programs...stuff like how to use the library and where the IT office is...honestly I would have skipped had I known this.

Parking is ok on most days, depends what time you get into school really. If you come in for 8am class then you will find parking close to class but any later you probably have to settle for the multistory carpark which is further from the lecture halls but really its only a 5min walk. Yeah some people I know commute from phoenix, its feasible although you would be spending alot of money on gas.

How much does parking cost? Also, it's only 10miles one way...do they really spend that much on gas?

How much does parking cost? Also, it's only 10miles one way...do they really spend that much on gas?

Its free. Traffic can be bad, it will take you at least 20mins.

Its free. Traffic can be bad, it will take you at least 20mins.

Gotcha. Thank you!

one more question: if you had to choose a dental school again, would you choose MWU-AZ?

Anything you recommend doing, or not doing, to make the first few months go as smoothly as possible?
Are you eased into the schedule a little, or is it a sprint starting from the first day?