3.0 cGPA, 2.3 sGPA, 33 MCAT? What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xDriftAway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Post-bacc? SMP? Post-bacc and then SMP? My science GPA is horrendously low. I've retaken any D's and F's I've had on my transcript. I obviously have a lot of Cs on my transcript as well. I come from a prestigious university. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is your science GPA a 2.3 when you replace those Ds and Fs with new grades or does it include them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is your science GPA a 2.3 when you replace those Ds and Fs with new grades or does it include them?

My science GPA (2.3) already includes the retakes of the Ds and Fs. I have a lot of Cs on my transcript which is why my science GPA is still extremely low

Last edited:
Will 1 year post-bacc of straight As do any justice? Is it even worth it? Please help anyone

Your MCAT is fine. Assuming your low GPA is due to a lack of effort and not an inability to understand the sciences, there's no reason you won't be able to get in somewhere after performing well in an SMP. It will all come down to how serious you are about attending medical school and how hard you are willing to work to get there

1) do a non formal post bacc (state college), take science courses until that sGPA is >3.0. Get A's

2) do an SMP, and get A's in it

easier said than done, but that's what I'd do, and seems to be the conventional wisdom here.

Best bet here is to retake classes with poor grades(probably anything less than B-) and raise the GPAs to ~3.5 using the DO grade replacement policy and apply DO

1) do a non formal post bacc (state college), take science courses until that sGPA is >3.0. Get A's

2) do an SMP, and get A's in it

easier said than done, but that's what I'd do, and seems to be the conventional wisdom here.

I was thinking of doing a formal post bacc. Is a non-formal (DIY) one better? In what way? Thank you

I was thinking of doing a formal post bacc. Is a non-formal (DIY) one better? In what way? Thank you
you can have as flexible or rigorous schedule as you want, DIY post baccs are WAY WAY cheaper, think long term and debt, you want to MINIMIZE that.

my opinion. i don't think it's worth the cost to do a formal post bacc cause those tend to be really expensive

xDriftAway, where are your bad grades coming from? the pre-reqs or upper division or both?

Opinions on SMPs vs formal post-bacs? I understand the former is better when the upper division is low, and vice versa.