MD & DO 3.1 cGpa (AAMC), 3.6 (Institutional), 3.6 sGPA, 33 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osckey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.1 ( *March 2016 EDIT* - title was overly ambitious when I wrote it)
MCAT: 33 (April 24, 2014)

Im a college senior (nontrad) about to graduate.

My first year of college I was completely unprepared for the academic rigor as well as the absolute deterioration of my household following the ugly divorce of my parents. That's the end of the sob story, I take full responsibility for my first year grades.

I made a strategic decision to leave my state university, go to my local community college to earn my AA, and then reapply as a transfer student according to my university's policy for grade salvage.

I got back on my feet at my local community college and learned how to become a top student there. It was a learning process, however, so I graduated with a 3.4 cGPA from my community college.

After being readmitted to my state's university I have maintained above a 3.6 average almost every semester (some being 3.7-3.8), and have been on Dean's list ever since I got back here. I currently have a 3.64 cGPA at my university.

So as you can see, there is a healthy grade trend with a nice upward curve to it.

Let's talk extra curricular activities:

2 years active SGA member (elected jurisprudence) at my community college

- I chaired a couple of committees for huge events at the school and lobbied for the school at my state's capital on several occasions.

4 years (and counting) involved in my local community orchestra

- I enjoy playing the violin to clear my head and I enjoy the challenge of playing in front of thousands for community concerts.

3 years (and counting) as counselor at my local church's youth group

- I thoroughly enjoy mentoring and counseling this age group and have encountered some incredibly difficult situations in my time at my church. This experience has really motivated me to lean towards pediatrics.

Heavily involved with an orphanage in Haiti (2 years and counting).

- I've been on several medical missions trip to this area and have really given my all in this area. I help coordinate trips to the area when I cannot go myself.

I've taken advantage of my local teaching hospital (which is attached to my university's medical school) to accumulate clinical shadowing hours. Each rotation was a 6 week period (I still participate in these as often as I can).

- Peds: 54 hours
- ER: 42 hours
- Surgery: 71 hours
- Internal Medicine: 147 hours

All hours have been accumulated over all 4 years and are verifiable. I did not shadow for only 1 year and then inflate my hours.

I have been doing research within my university's medical school for about 2 years now in the department of immunology.

- All research has been aimed towards HIV-1. I have my name on 2 publications so far and am currently working on one as first author.

- It's been an absolutely incredible experience working in this lab (my thumbs have certainly put on some muscle due to the amount of pipetting I've done by now).

- Many of the PhD's I work with in the lab are on the adcom for the medical school (allopathic) here and have been very supportive as well as fantastic mentors.

*March 2016 EDIT* - I was not classified as URM as Cuban-Americans are not considered URM.

I am a resident of Florida. I am open to DO philosophy of medical education and I am currently shadowing a DO.

However, I would like to discuss my chances for allopathic medical school as I am already aware that I am a stronger candidate for DO schools.

I will be applying next cycle to both MD and DO programs.

Other than the obvious GPA issue, if you believe another portion of my application as I have told you so far is lacking, please tell me. I'm always open to constructive criticism.

To those who reply, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone have advice on my chances?

(This is the 1 and only time I will shamelessly bump this thread, I promise)

I PM'd you, but I think you have a good chance at the Florida schools. make sure you apply to all and apply early.

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

If anyone else has any thoughts on my chances then, please, speak up!