3+1 Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just finished my freshman year at college and I am on track to do a 3+1 program where I can apply after 3 years of undergrad and get a BS degree after my first year of vet school. My question is when do I apply? Would it be the summer of my Sophomore/Junior year? And then find out during my junior year if I got in? Some of the classes would be in progress if it was that. A little about myself and experiences. I grew up on a farm and showed horses, cattle, swine, and dogs. I trained a leader dog for the blind. With that I have around 600+ hours. I had about 100+ farm vet experience. I volunteered at my college's large animal hospital so about 100 hours. I volunteered in the Gait Analysis research lab so 200+ I have a job at a histopathology lab so continuing 300+ hours. I volunteer in the Oncology SA department at my school so 250+ hours. I am also an animal caretaker at the college so around 100+ there. I'm hoping to volunteer at a SA clinic soon, I've had a hard time with getting in somewhere. I plan on getting an internship at the local zoo. I'm going on a service learning trip this winter to Haiti, so study abroad. As far as leadership, I held numerous offices in 4-H and FFA. I'm currently the fundraising chairman for my club, Heifer International. I'm going to join the pre-vet club this year. I had a part time job during my freshman year at Subway so about 250+ there. My GPA is 3.7 . I haven't taken the GRE yet. Am I doing the right things so far? I'm just worried on hours and stuff. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you would apply the summer between your sophomore and junior years. You look like you're on the right track, but you'd get more responses in the "What are my chances?" thread. Good luck!

Hi! I just finished my freshman year at college and I am on track to do a 3+1 program where I can apply after 3 years of undergrad and get a BS degree after my first year of vet school. My question is when do I apply? Would it be the summer of my Sophomore/Junior year? And then find out during my junior year if I got in? Some of the classes would be in progress if it was that. A little about myself and experiences. I grew up on a farm and showed horses, cattle, swine, and dogs. I trained a leader dog for the blind. With that I have around 600+ hours. I had about 100+ farm vet experience. I volunteered at my college's large animal hospital so about 100 hours. I volunteered in the Gait Analysis research lab so 200+ I have a job at a histopathology lab so continuing 300+ hours. I volunteer in the Oncology SA department at my school so 250+ hours. I am also an animal caretaker at the college so around 100+ there. I'm hoping to volunteer at a SA clinic soon, I've had a hard time with getting in somewhere. I plan on getting an internship at the local zoo. I'm going on a service learning trip this winter to Haiti, so study abroad. As far as leadership, I held numerous offices in 4-H and FFA. I'm currently the fundraising chairman for my club, Heifer International. I'm going to join the pre-vet club this year. I had a part time job during my freshman year at Subway so about 250+ there. My GPA is 3.7 . I haven't taken the GRE yet. Am I doing the right things so far? I'm just worried on hours and stuff. Any advice would be appreciated.
If my hunch is right on which 3+1 program you are talking about, then you should be just fine to take some pre-req classes during your Junior year when you apply (I went through a similar if not the same program and did just fine doing that track. I think I had 2-3 classes left to take when I filled out the application. They didn't mind as long as they were completed by the time I would matriculate into vet school). If you take your GRE either this summer or next, you will be fine deadline wise there as well.

Your hours are looking pretty good, especially this early on. Have you thought about getting any Equine experience or research?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're looking great so far. As for the 3+1 program, that's the route that I took, but my undergrad had an established program with my in-state vet school. I applied the summer after my freshman year and found out I was accepted the fall of my sophomore year. The timeline for applying was coordinated through my undergrad. I'm not sure if this is the 3+1 type program you're referring to though.

Well the large animal hospital I worked in mainly did equine. Part of my farm vet hours are equine. I forgot to mention that I was also on the foal team which includes a chunk more vet experience hours. For research, I work in a histopathology lab that does productive research. I also volunteer in a gait analysis lab that does clinical research on dogs. I talked to a student today and I would be applying this time next year. Next summer is when I plan to take my GRE. So I can study for another year to take it. Thanks for the encouragement.