3.15 cGPA, 29 MCAT 34 retake, chances next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cutterbug

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so my GPA is pretty awful and I wish I could say there's an upward trend but my last semester was actually my worst by far. I just graduated in May and it was kind of a reawakening for me. I studied all summer and increased my Mcat from the 29 I got twice to a 34. I'm currently volunteering abroad for 2 months, I'll be taking non degree classes in the spring and applying to SMPs for Fall 2014 and applying next cycle for MD schools fall 2015. My ECs aren't really anything special, I have volunteer exp in different areas, and I've held a few leadership positions but I don't have research exp (planning on fixing that once I'm back in the states).

If I can ace my grad classes this spring, do you think I have a shot at MD schools? I know it's only a semesters worth of classes but I'm hoping the Mcat increase would factor into showing my new upward trend. I just need the chance for an interview by which point I'm sure I'll have more good grades to show. I'm going to apply DO as well but I really am set on allopathic. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

my last semester was actually my worst by far.
increased my Mcat from the 29 I got twice to a 34.
applying to SMPs for Fall 2014 and applying next cycle for MD schools fall 2015.
My ECs aren't really anything special, I have volunteer exp in different areas, and I've held a few leadership positions but I don't have research exp (planning on fixing that once I'm back in the states).

If I can ace my grad classes this spring, do you think I have a shot at MD schools?

Applicants with stats that are borderline for medical school (3.4GPA, 30MCAT, good ECs) have a decent shot at applying with a semester's worth of strong SMP grades and getting into medical school.

Given your low GPA, good MCAT, and unremarkable ECs, your chance of acceptance for the 2015 cycle is a bit low. Investing time in a gap year and beefing up your ECs/research can do wonders if you're willing to pursue that route.

Thanks for the advice Etyan.
I'm looking at SMPs right now. I'm really hoping I can get into one with a linkage because I'm sure if I can just get my foot in the door I'll excel in the classes. Do you have any recommendations for SMPs that would be a good choice for me? I'm researching now on my own but I'm always open to advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice Etyan.
I'm looking at SMPs right now. I'm really hoping I can get into one with a linkage because I'm sure if I can just get my foot in the door I'll excel in the classes. Do you have any recommendations for SMPs that would be a good choice for me? I'm researching now on my own but I'm always open to advice.

SMPs are a dime a dozen. The best ones will be given by medical schools, as they're a backdoor into those schools.

Yep, Goro is spot-on. You can find your pick of SMP's using AAMC's site. Some are 1 year, others are 2 years, some have a thesis component, some do not. Cost, location, coursework, etc all vary greatly. It's difficult to make a recommendation when there are so many personal factors to consider.

The strongest SMPs are those with > 80% MD/DO matriculation 1-2 years after the program. SMPs with a strong connection to their medical school are also a plus. All the other factors are up to you to investigate and consider. Good luck :thumbup:

Edit: To be clear, though, excellence in an SMP is not a sure-shot into medical school and will not negate a poor undergrad GPA. Other aspects of your application need to be above average. Substantially beefing up your ECs while doing your SMP is not recommended. Good SMPs are notoriously time intensive. ECs should all be completed before the SMP to make your application as strong as possible!

Last edited:
Edit: To be clear, though, excellence in an SMP is not a sure-shot into medical school and will not negate a poor undergrad GPA. Other aspects of your application need to be above average. Substantially beefing up your ECs while doing your SMP is not recommended. Good SMPs are notoriously time intensive. ECs should all be completed before the SMP to make your application as strong as possible!

I'll take that into consideration. Thanks again for the help guys!