3.1ish GPA and 29MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Camino

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I need some help figuring out what to do next.

I am a non traditional applicant with 5 years of experience in military aviation as an aerospace engineer. My undergraduate science GPA (BCMP) is ~3.1. I have taken a 2 graduate and 6 postbacc courses since then and achieved a 3.4 science GPA (I worked hard but had difficulty transitioning to the lecture/test format). My MCAT score was a 29k (10V, 10PS, 9B). I took the MCAT prior to taking organic chemistry and am pretty confident that I could get it up to a 32 if I retake and maybe higher. As for the other stuff, I have about 500 hours as an EMT rescue worker and volunteered at various other activities, and have shadowed half a dozen or so doctors with different specialties. I had two interviews this year and was rejected at both. One said they rejected me because my GPA was too low and I'm waiting to get feedback from the other school.

I'm considering doing the Geogetown SMP (if they accept me) but am really worried that with all of the competition that I won't be able to get the necessary grades to get an acceptance. I am also considering Loyola's SMP.

Does anyone no of any other master's or smp that I should look at?

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I need some help figuring out what to do next.

I am a non traditional applicant with 5 years of experience in military aviation as an aerospace engineer. My undergraduate science GPA (BCMP) is ~3.1. I have taken a 2 graduate and 6 postbacc courses since then and achieved a 3.4 science GPA (I worked hard but had difficulty transitioning to the lecture/test format). My MCAT score was a 29k (10V, 10PS, 9B). I took the MCAT prior to taking organic chemistry and am pretty confident that I could get it up to a 32 if I retake and maybe higher. As for the other stuff, I have about 500 hours as an EMT rescue worker and volunteered at various other activities, and have shadowed half a dozen or so doctors with different specialties. I had two interviews this year and was rejected at both. One said they rejected me because my GPA was too low and I'm waiting to get feedback from the other school.

I'm considering doing the Geogetown SMP (if they accept me) but am really worried that with all of the competition that I won't be able to get the necessary grades to get an acceptance. I am also considering Loyola's SMP.

Does anyone no of any other master's or smp that I should look at?

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

From the looks of it- other not stellar, you have good scores and your sciences gpa is fair. Not sure what your undergraduate gpa was, but still, if you only applied to 2 places and they both interviewed you that in itself says something. You should look at that as being positive if you don't already :)
First, you may want to try expanding the number of schools you apply to unless you are only looking at getting into the "big" named ones. In which case, you will definitely have more work to do.
Secondly, that being said, if you want Georgetown, definitely go through their physios program. It's not conditional, but if you do well you may get your interview and matriculate there.
Third, not sure if you already checked it out, but consider checking the postbaccalaureate (special programs) on amcas. They have quite a few.
Lastly, if you are interested in a route that I just took with Drexel University college of medicine, feel free to pm me.

Try your instate schools or the schools in the state that you list for residency for the military. You're a qualified applicant. Maybe shoot for some lower tiered schools. (I know that was my problem this year.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys,
I appreciate your comments. I actually applied to 18 schools but was just interviewed by two. UW was my school of state residency and Georgetown was where I did my post bacc work. I applied to some schools that I were unrealistic but for the most part, I applied to private and public looking at schools with low matriculation scores and high interview percentages (especially of out of staters). My schools included:

George Washington
ALBERT EINSTEIN COLLEGE OF MEDICINE
Wake Forrest
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Colorado at Denver
University of Utah
Eastern Virginia
Boston University School of Medicine
Oregon Health Science
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Rush
Albany Medical College
Loyola
NYMC
PennState
University of Washington
Creighton University School of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Rosalind medical School of Chicago

One other thing is that it took GT until I think October or Novemeber to get out my composite letter so I was behind the ball in getting my applications complete.

My undergraduate GPA was 3.3 science and 3.1 BCMP. I had two C's in upper level math (Calc III and Differential Eq - hey they're tough). My postbacc work consisted of biology and chemistry classes (Bio I and II, Chem I and II, Orgo I and II, Anatomy, and Physiology) and was 3.4.

Any other thoughts?

a 3.1 GPA and 29 MCAT - i had a 3.2-3.3ish GPA and a 29MCAT with 15 years paramedic experience and Colorado didn't interview me (BTW my GPA was low because of grades 20 years old - my recent work was 3.6 with dual science major after starting over). and i was in-state. Good luck with that one, but unless it's your state school i'd spend my money elsewhere. They're tough to get into.

have you looked at any osteopathic schools? Your stats are competitive for DO's.