MD & DO 3.2 c/s gpa, Advice on EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HailVarsity23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Story is I started at a CC and played golf, focused on the sport more than schoolwork (and also other activities) which landed me a 2.7 cgpa. Transferred to 4 year school and after a few retakes and good last couple semesters will be at 3.2cGPA/3.2sGPA after this year. Good news is I have two more years left, with the majority being science classes. Unfortunately my state only has two med schools, one of which accepts under 5% in state students and cost a fortune, the other accepts almost 90% instate and has mean acceptance of 3.68 cgpa and 3.6ish sgpa, so I have accepted the fact I may have to apply across the country and have no problem with this. I have developed a sincere desire for Orthopedic Spine Surgery, with that said I do not have a preference of MD/DO considering DO schools tend to focus more on the musculoskeletal system and also provides quite a few residencies in Ortho Surgery. Bottom line is I just want to get once acceptance somewhere, no preferences. I will worry about the MCAT when the time comes but am planning on graduating in the fall which will allow me a solid time frame to study without any outside distraction.

I do understand my gpa is low, but will have a very good upward trend by the time I apply.

The questions I have are:
1. How do I stand regarding EC's and where can I improve them?
2. How many hours of clinical experience is suggested?
3. What cGPA/sGPA should I shoot for to be competitive MD/DO?

Thank you for any input.

Shadowing:

- 150 hours ( 50 neurosurgery, 50 orthopedic surgery, 50 PA) plan on shadowing DO this summer.
- will have a very good LOR from the neurosurgeon I worked with.
Community Activities:
- Three mission trips
+South Dakota(worked with black hills parks and recreational services for 5 days, and a day with habitat for humanity)
+New Orleans(spent a week helping after hurricane)
+Haiti(spent a week working with under privileged children and organization Wings of Hope which houses children and adults with physical and mental handicaps)

- 60 hours with Special Olympics
- 50 hours working with an education center for people with mental illness.
- 50 hours as substitute sunday school teacher/ communion assistant at church.
Leadership:
- College golf team captain last year.
- Run a drive collecting items to send to Haiti. (Plan to do every summer)
Research:
- Have microbiology research lined up to do with science professor starting this summer.
(also a good LOR)
Clinical Experience:
- Also have this lined up to start volunteering at hospital this summer once I have a little more time on my hands.

Members don't see this ad.