3.2 GPA, 29MCAT: Chances at SGU and Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trey57735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I would really appreciate some honest advice about my situation and what I should do to make myself a more competitive candidate.
I have basically decided that I would like to become a practicing anesthesiologist, and now I just need to get to the accomplishment of that goal!
I graduated from Brown University in 2010 with a degree in Neuroscience, and since this time I have had a variety of jobs! Basically, what I have learned is that I want to go to medical school. I studied as a premed and I ended up with a 3.2 GPA and 3.2 science GPA; however, I would have to admit that I was a bad student. I am currently studying for the MCAT and I am currently scoring about a 27, but I certainly think a score of 30+ is doable within the next couple of months.
I would like to know what my chances are/ what I should do to be able to get into SGU. I am not interested in DO schools, and I really would like to attend SGU over Ross or AUC. What MCAT score should I be aiming for to get into SGU? I got a 2290 on my SATs and so I realize that my performance on my MCAT will be all about how much effort I put into my studies. I have clinical research experience at UCLA, doctor shadowing, and volunteer experience.

However, I also have a confession - something that I really need advice on. In my second year of college I got caught texting during a test and ended up with a notation on my transcript about "Directed no credit ORGO2 for violation of the academic code". Yes, I understand how bad this is. However, I really am not a dishonest person, and I wasn't trying to cheat (that's why they just gave me "no credit"). My mistake was my bad attitude towards the teacher and TA (I ended up having to take the class at another school because of the tension between me and the teacher). I fully accept my responsibility and admit fault, and I have changed A LOT since that event. I just need some advice about how to tell this to SGU.
Do you think that I will have a chance at SGU with my stats (including the violation)? Any advice about what I should do?

Thank you everyone! This has been stressing me out considerably!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I would really appreciate some honest advice about my situation and what I should do to make myself a more competitive candidate.
I have basically decided that I would like to become a practicing anesthesiologist, and now I just need to get to the accomplishment of that goal!
I graduated from Brown University in 2010 with a degree in Neuroscience, and since this time I have had a variety of jobs! Basically, what I have learned is that I want to go to medical school. I studied as a premed and I ended up with a 3.2 GPA and 3.2 science GPA; however, I would have to admit that I was a bad student. I am currently studying for the MCAT and I am currently scoring about a 27, but I certainly think a score of 30+ is doable within the next couple of months.
I would like to know what my chances are/ what I should do to be able to get into SGU. I am not interested in DO schools, and I really would like to attend SGU over Ross or AUC. What MCAT score should I be aiming for to get into SGU? I got a 2290 on my SATs and so I realize that my performance on my MCAT will be all about how much effort I put into my studies. I have clinical research experience at UCLA, doctor shadowing, and volunteer experience.

However, I also have a confession - something that I really need advice on. In my second year of college I got caught texting during a test and ended up with a notation on my transcript about "Directed no credit ORGO2 for violation of the academic code". Yes, I understand how bad this is. However, I really am not a dishonest person, and I wasn't trying to cheat (that's why they just gave me "no credit"). My mistake was my bad attitude towards the teacher and TA (I ended up having to take the class at another school because of the tension between me and the teacher). I fully accept my responsibility and admit fault, and I have changed A LOT since that event. I just need some advice about how to tell this to SGU.
Do you think that I will have a chance at SGU with my stats (including the violation)? Any advice about what I should do?

Thank you everyone! This has been stressing me out considerably!

The SATs and the MCAT are two different beasts. Although I will say this - most people who were bad at critical reading on the SATs will be bad at the MCAT verbal. Again, this isn't always the case, but I'd say there's a pretty strong correlation. I don't know why you're aiming for a 29. You should be aiming higher with that GPA. You're obviously a smart student (2290, Brown, research at UCLA) and I think you're selling yourself short if you settle for AUC or Ross. You can definietly get into a US MD school with a 34 MCAT and a 3.4 (you should probably consider increasing your GPA; take extra classes or something).

Edit: If I recall correctly, anesthesiology is a rather competitive residency. It will be incredibly difficult to land one if you study overseas.

Getting into SGU isn't that hard. Can you sign loan papers and have an MCAT >20? Then you can get admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting into SGU will be easy for you. You could take the MCAT now, get between a 22-25 and probably get in. However, getting an Anesthesiology residency from a Caribbean school would be near impossible even if you were to do fantastic on Step I.

I would recommend trying to score 30+ on the MCAT and get your GPA up to a 3.4 to give yourself a shot at MD if you are set on Anesthesiology. However, you should see if that institutional action will be a problem for US MD.

Caribbean MD is a pretty unsure place to be at the moment. With US MD class sizes increasing and residency spots staying relatively stagnant, getting an anesthesia residency out of a Caribbean school is something you can't even get close to counting on. You're better off improving your MCAT scores, taking more class or an SMP to bump GPA, and go for low-tier MD or for good DO schools.

In terms of anesthesia residencies, the pecking order is certainly US MD > US DO > Caribbean MD

Thanks for the advice guys.

However, I should have stressed that I am not interested in taking more time to complete a masters program or taking classes to bump up my GPA. I realize that a Caribbean MD is far from ideal, but I have already decided that it will be fine for me (and the cost is not an issue - time is my issue - I want to start in January). I don't see why Anesthesiology would be nearly impossible coming from SGU (3% of their matches are into Anesthesia and most American schools match about 8-10% into anesthesia). These do not seem like impossible numbers given strong studying. I called SGU's office and they told me the same thing. I can study (I was first in my high school class), I just spent way too much time partying in undergrad.

My main concern is how high of an MCAT score should I be aiming for and how should I address the academic violation on my app. If there are any SGU students or counselors who can answer this question that would be great. Thanks

When you consider 3% anesthesiology out of 45% overall placement, the picture shifts. In US MD schools, 8-10% anesthesiology is with 98% or higher residency placement. If you equalize for total residency placements, your odds from SGU are about 7 times less to get in to anesthesiology.

That's what we are saying...

When you consider 3% anesthesiology out of 45% overall placement, the picture shifts. In US MD schools, 8-10% anesthesiology is with 98% or higher residency placement. If you equalize for total residency placements, your odds from SGU are about 7 times less to get in to anesthesiology.

That's what we are saying...

What he said.

A friend of mine was at the top of his class at SGU and did rather well on his Steps. He got a residency at an amazing medical university in the US - however, he's doing family medicine. If being an anesthesiologist is your dream, it will be near impossible to get it out of SGU. Spending a year to boost up your credentials will be worth it. What's the rush?

Sorry, now I am a little bit confused. SGU told me that they have a 92% match rate for students straight out of school and a 98% match rate for students after 2 years out. Obviously, students going to SGU are of a lower caliber/ are less disciplined and dedicated, but I don't see why SGU is considered a death sentence. Granted, the vast majority go on to internal medicine and family practice, but I think that is all that most people who go to SGU want... I definitely want to hear all aspects and warnings, but it seems like SGU gets a worse rap then it deserves... Is it really that bad? My impression was that a student who goes to SGU and works hard and makes sure he is one of the best can eventually either transfer out or land in at least a semi-competitive residency, like surgery or anesthesia...

Sorry, now I am a little bit confused. SGU told me that they have a 92% match rate for students straight out of school and a 98% match rate for students after 2 years out. Obviously, students going to SGU are of a lower caliber/ are less disciplined and dedicated, but I don't see why SGU is considered a death sentence. Granted, the vast majority go on to internal medicine and family practice, but I think that is all that most people who go to SGU want... I definitely want to hear all aspects and warnings, but it seems like SGU gets a worse rap then it deserves... Is it really that bad? My impression was that a student who goes to SGU and works hard and makes sure he is one of the best can eventually either transfer out or land in at least a semi-competitive residency, like surgery or anesthesia...
A couple things. One, you're making a huge assumption that you will just "work hard". Everyone going to SGU is planning on doing the same thing. Secondly, that 92% number only includes people who actually attempt to match. Much of SGU's entering classes don't make it to that point, due to numerous tests, and a high attrition rate.

A couple things. One, you're making a huge assumption that you will just "work hard". Everyone going to SGU is planning on doing the same thing. Secondly, that 92% number only includes people who actually attempt to match. Much of SGU's entering classes don't make it to that point, due to numerous tests, and a high attrition rate.

What I have bolded is exactly something SGU won't tell you.

Every medical school has an attrition rate, but the US med schools have a very small one. The professors and doctors do everything in their power to make sure you get through medical school. SGU just wants your money.

It's sad, but that's just how it is. Half of the people probably get dropped by the second year (I cannot verify this last sentence, it is just my assumption).

Last year, the NRMP data showed less than 50% of IMG's placing in US residencies, with about 1.6% in anesthesiology.

Here's another lie Caribbean schools don't tell you:
They tout a 94% USMLE Step 1 passing rate. What they don't tell you is that they only let students who they think will actually pass take the test. So, out of 800-1000 students in each class they usually only let 100-150 take their boards.

Amazingly deceptive isn't it?

Last year, the NRMP data showed less than 50% of IMG's placing in US residencies, with about 1.6% in anesthesiology.

They tout a 94% USMLE Step 1 passing rate. What they don't tell you is that they only let students who they think will actually pass take the test. So, out of 800-1000 students in each class they usually only let 100-150 take their boards.

Damn I did not know this...I feel bad for my friends that are over there. Wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars, and may not even come out of it an MD :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that true for all Caribbean med schools? I thought that SGU and Ross are generally regarded as the better Carribbean med schools...

Just look at their attrition rates...

I pulled the residency numbers out of the NRMP for 2011.

Isn't it amazing how different the real numbers are from the numbers they publish.

Honestly, I'd rather become a nurse anesthetist before going to the Caribbean for an MD, but if that's what you want, be my guest. Your chances are extremely lower than becoming a DO, but you seem to be concerned about letters to make the rational choice.

3% of the Caribbean does make it into anesthesia, but that's 3% of the 45% that match which were 50% of the entering class. By now, since you've experienced undergrad and the competition, I would expect you to understand that being first in your High School is meaningless, so keep in mind the very realistic possibility that your chances are limited to primary care fields. Don't think that "being from brown" your 3.2 is "actually like a 4.0 at University of (State)" and you'll smoke your SGU competition.

Either way, good luck. I suggest you just take the MCAT. From speaking to their rep, they told me as long as your sGPA is >3.0 and MCAT is a >24, you're pretty much in.

In case you don't notice your PM's but are checking this thread...
Brown Alumna
Engineering ScB
Low GPA
Just finished up my 3rd year of med school
...so, been there done that, & I agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't go Caribbean if you haven't exhausted your other options (which it sounds like you haven't).

I am so glad that I decided to actually post here. I was too shy at first to post because I thought you guys would tear me apart about the academic violation thing! lol. Well THANK YOU ALL for the incredible advice.

The Caribbean is not the way to go!
Even SGU's Match List is Atrocious

btw, I'm gay, and the Caribbean is not a very gay-friendly place!

I would not be happy if I went to a Carib school and ended up in some Family Physician (or even anesthesia) residency in Alabama. I am really not too familiar with DO schools, but can anyone give any advice. What are the downsides to being a DO? I know they have their own residencies, but are those also really competitive or something? What are good DO schools? Also, I can still apply DO for 2013, right?

What should I do to make myself a strong candidate at a good DO school? Or is it a better idea to keep trying for MD? BTW, I can care less about the DO initials over MD. I want to make sure that I have a good opportunity to pursue whatever residency I find out I like in medical school. Is DO School good for that? Any DO's or DO students here?

Thanks!

..... I am not interested in DO schools, and I really would like to attend SGU over Ross or AUC.....

..... BTW, I can care less about the DO initials over MD.

I'll go ahead and call BS. Anyway, there are reasons to go MD and reasons to go DO. Research this yourself.

When are you taking the MCAT? your GPA is low for DO schools but with an early app and and a decent score you could get an acceptance, however with you planning on taking it in "a couple months," coupling a 27 to your 3.2 gpa is drastically different than coupling a 31. Also, you make no real mention of ECs. How were the last few semesters of school? what state of residency? you mention anes. is this your only desire? that's going to be tough. need a lot more info. also that cheating is going to be hard to overcome. not sure about that.

I agree with your NRMP data but SGU's residency posting shows a MUCH higher number of matches than 100-150 (assuming all matched), which obviously requires the students to take the boards. Can you clarify this please?

I agree with your NRMP data but SGU's residency posting shows a MUCH higher number of matches than 100-150 (assuming all matched), which obviously requires the students to take the boards. Can you clarify this please?
Don't those residency postings also usually include reapplicants from previous years?

Maybe that is because they have an enormous class size...still doesn't matter. When 50% of your students don't make it past year one, 50% don't pass Step 1, and last year 49.1% of US IMGs were places according to the NRMP, I think my assertion speaks for itself. Take a look before ever considering the Caribbean

Maybe that is because they have an enormous class size...still doesn't matter. When 50% of your students don't make it past year one, 50% don't pass Step 1, and last year 49.1% of US IMGs were places according to the NRMP, I think my assertion speaks for itself. Take a look before ever considering the Caribbean

Agree with this 100%

To everyone even considering the Carib to become a doctor, please don't go there. It is a money sink and the training is completely inferior to US MD/DO programs. If you cannot make it into one of these, you really need to reconsider medicine. I personally think they should not exist because they profit off of desperate premeds. Buckle down and get to work boosting the weak parts of your app. The average age in medical school is high so for everyone who is 22 and thinks that they don't want to fall behind will not be. Retake the classes you need to, retake the MCAT, get a job, volunteer, etc. Hell the average age in my class at U of A is 28 this year!!!!!!

Please do yourself a favor and take this advice. :luck:

Agree with this 100%

To everyone even considering the Carib to become a doctor, please don't go there. It is a money sink and the training is completely inferior to US MD/DO programs. If you cannot make it into one of these, you really need to reconsider medicine. I personally think they should not exist because they profit off of desperate premeds. Buckle down and get to work boosting the weak parts of your app. The average age in medical school is high so for everyone who is 22 and thinks that they don't want to fall behind will not be. Retake the classes you need to, retake the MCAT, get a job, volunteer, etc. Hell the average age in my class at U of A is 28 this year!!!!!!

Please do yourself a favor and take this advice. :luck:

AVOID CARIBBEAN SCHOOLS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!

like many others posted, their numbers are deceptive.
Another thing to consider is that when you you read about SGU's residency numbers, there's a little asterisk that mentions 39% were from pre-matching. Starting for the 2013 match, no more prematching ,so even a landing a primary care spot after you manage to avoid failing out like 40% of your fellow students and acing the boards is still pretty slim.
Getting an anesthesiology residency...impossible. Better off going D.O. by the time you graduate they might have their own residency for Anesthesia.

Thanks for the advice guys.

However, I should have stressed that I am not interested in taking more time to complete a masters program or taking classes to bump up my GPA. I realize that a Caribbean MD is far from ideal, but I have already decided that it will be fine for me (and the cost is not an issue - time is my issue - I want to start in January).

The truth is if you do plan to go Caribbean you will be spending A LOT of time trying to get to the same lvl of competitiveness as in country applicants.

It is best to boost your credential(UG/G classes) now and not deal with the troubles later on.

You have a whole life of practicing medicine a head of you, I doubt taking that extra years of improvement will be that much of loss.

The truth is if you do plan to go Caribbean you will be spending A LOT of time trying to get to the same lvl of competitiveness as in country applicants.

It is best to boost your credential(UG/G classes) now and not deal with the troubles later on.

You have a whole life of practicing medicine a head of you, I doubt taking that extra years of improvement will be that much of loss.

I understand that cost may not be an issue for you (I am fortunate enough to have med school cost covered many times over as well). The point is that 1.) money is still money, and although you too may have the 35K PER BLOCK (at SGU there are 5 blocks before step 1 alone) there is no reason to waste it. 2.) I really want to take the chance to make it extremely clear to any premeds that are still hanging on to the idea that "well if I just make it into the carib, and pass, and get a residency that I will be an MD, and not have to be a DO" IT IS NOT TRUE. You should see how attendings look at Carib graduates, it is awful. DO = MD, it is just a fact. The only group that still thinks there is a difference are premeds who obviously have not spent enough time shadowing in hospitals.

MD=DO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hell>>>>>>>>>>>Tucson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Carib

Just curious, are you a non traditional student? I suppose that would make sense then if you feel a bit more rushed to start. But you will be starting an inferior program that is a waste of time. And do you want surgery? Kiss it goodbye. "But I heard this one time a carib student went into neuro....." NO, BAD PREMED, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN FOR YOU. Everyone thinks they will be the 1/million, but you won't be.

Ultimately do what you need to do, and trust me, I hope it works for you and best of luck :)

Last edited:
I completely agree.

US DO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caribbean MD every day of the week

I understand that cost may not be an issue for you (I am fortunate enough to have med school cost covered many times over as well). The point is that 1.) money is still money, and although you too may have the 35K PER BLOCK (at SGU there are 5 blocks before step 1 alone) there is no reason to waste it. 2.) I really want to take the chance to make it extremely clear to any premeds that are still hanging on to the idea that "well if I just make it into the carib, and pass, and get a residency that I will be an MD, and not have to be a DO" IT IS NOT TRUE. You should see how attendings look at Carib graduates, it is awful. DO = MD, it is just a fact. The only group that still thinks there is a difference are premeds who obviously have not spent enough time shadowing in hospitals.

MD=DO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hell>>>>>>>>>>>Tucson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Carib

Just curious, are you a non traditional student? I suppose that would make sense then if you feel a bit more rushed to start. But you will be starting an inferior program that is a waste of time. And do you want surgery? Kiss it goodbye. "But I heard this one time a carib student went into neuro....." NO, BAD PREMED, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN FOR YOU. Everyone thinks they will be the 1/million, but you won't be.

Ultimately do what you need to do, and trust me, I hope it works for you and best of luck :)

Completely agree with your POV here. The transition to a way of thinking where MD=DO is well on it's way, I wouldn't say it's 100% there yet though. The last remaining stigma simply arises from the fact that it is easier to get into US DO than US MD. Once the DO admissions process is just as competitive as MD, everything will be equal. It's the same thing as going to a top 20 undergrad versus a less-known state supported school. You still have that 4 year degree and could very well be the smartest or best employee out of the bunch, but unfortunately people's first reaction is different. I fully support MD=DO and don't mind at all having DO's compete for traditionally MD residencies, and while many pre-meds don't like the idea simply because it lacks the 'MD' tag (which is the absolute wrong way to look at it), even the people that logically understand that they are the same thing realize how much less strenuous the admissions requirements are.. and those are the stem of their doubts.

To get back on topic, I completely agree with all other parts of your post and that US DO >>>> Caribbean MD in about every way.

Please at least be consistent with what you say. You first said that their class size is 800-1000. Now you're saying MAYBE they have an "enormous" class size (whatever that means). So you're basically negating yourself about their class size of max. 1000. I'm not sure if people should make decisions based on MAYBEs and doubts. Where do you get the information that 50% don't make it past year one and 50% don't pass step 1? Do you have any evidence for that? At least SGU publishes the full name of people who obtained residency (it's 790 for 2012). You can copy the data to Excel to see if anyone of them are from previous years. If it's you, you'd say that they're making up the names to trick you!!! About the NRMP match rate for U.S. IMGs, it includes data from ALL Caribbean students who attempted to match. More established schools like SGU do a much better job than others for placing graduates into residency. So one shouldn't generalize. Of course, attending an off-shore medical school is not the ideal way to become a physician but at the same time I don't think posting information without any evidence is fair to those who truly want to become a physician.

Come on, man. Don't be that guy that tries to redirect an argument by cherry picking words. Look at the way Ironmandoc responds to your previous question. He is arguing that the reason SGU match list has some good matches is MAYBE because they have such a large class class. This is similar to the lottery where if you have 1200 tickets (avg SGU class size), you'll have a better chance of winning than if you only had 120 tickets (avg US MD/DO class size). In no way did he ever imply that SGU has a small class size.

That is only true for Ross and a few lower rated Caribbean schools. SGU does not do this! SGU average MCAT is 27/28 average GPA is 3.6.
These scores are on par with DO schools. So I do not understand what everyone's problem is with SGU. People are placing SGU in the same catagory of other Caribbean schools which they should not!
Trinity is a terrible Caribbean school. Most of there students drop out. Ross is a good school, assuming only if you can pass the course and pass the exam before taking the USMLE. SGU is a good school assuming you can pass your class. I
Even though you get accepted into a Caribbean school, it does not guarantee that you will pass your courses. Assuming that you pass your courses, only 95 percent of people pass the USMLE during there pass 1. So hence, the USMLE is given all over the US. It is not a different USMLE, it is the same. So if you can pass that! you should be equal with other US med students.
Shame on people for putting down other people who went to the Caribbeans. First of all, not everyone is well fortunate to be able to achieve a 30 plus on the MCAT, I scored a 29. I want to go to SGU because of there residency, while SGU has a good residency program and they help match there students, a lot of DO schools fail in this way. My friend told me yesterday night that he regret jumping into a DO school with a MCAT score of 32, after being rejected by all his MD apps. That he should have based his schooling off of residency. But he loves his DO program and school. He enjoys it! That being said everyone has to take the USMLE (which is the same for everyone). While the MCAT is getting harder and harder, and getting into a med school is getting harder and harder it does not mean that people who graduate from a non US MD school are bad. They are still doctors that went through the same rigorous training as US med students did. St George is in fact on the top of my list, following lower ranked US med schools (assuming I get in) and then DO schools. Why is SGU before US med schools, it is because you have to think about your future, which school will help you get a residency program.

That is only true for Ross and a few lower rated Caribbean schools. SGU does not do this! SGU average MCAT is 27/28 average GPA is 3.6.
These scores are on par with DO schools. So I do not understand what everyone's problem is with SGU. People are placing SGU in the same catagory of other Caribbean schools which they should not!
Trinity is a terrible Caribbean school. Most of there students drop out. Ross is a good school, assuming only if you can pass the course and pass the exam before taking the USMLE. SGU is a good school assuming you can pass your class. I
Even though you get accepted into a Caribbean school, it does not guarantee that you will pass your courses. Assuming that you pass your courses, only 95 percent of people pass the USMLE during there pass 1. So hence, the USMLE is given all over the US. It is not a different USMLE, it is the same. So if you can pass that! you should be equal with other US med students.
Shame on people for putting down other people who went to the Caribbeans. First of all, not everyone is well fortunate to be able to achieve a 30 plus on the MCAT, I scored a 29. I want to go to SGU because of there residency, while SGU has a good residency program and they help match there students, a lot of DO schools fail in this way. My friend told me yesterday night that he regret jumping into a DO school with a MCAT score of 32, after being rejected by all his MD apps. That he should have based his schooling off of residency. But he loves his DO program and school. He enjoys it! That being said everyone has to take the USMLE (which is the same for everyone). While the MCAT is getting harder and harder, and getting into a med school is getting harder and harder it does not mean that people who graduate from a non US MD school are bad. They are still doctors that went through the same rigorous training as US med students did. St George is in fact on the top of my list, following lower ranked US med schools (assuming I get in) and then DO schools. Why is SGU before US med schools, it is because you have to think about your future, which school will help you get a residency program.
Why are you bumping this thread? DO vs off-shore MD has been discussed ad nauseum (learn to use the search function) and every unbiased looked at the data shows that DO > Carib for everything: attrition rates, residency, cost, etc. If you want to go carib, do it, but don't mislead people.

fantasy_island_1978-show.jpg

It's amusing that you talk about how you need to select your med school based on residency options...and your conclusion is that you should do exactly the opposite of what one would do maximize residency opportunities (go to medical school in the mainland US).

:corny:

Have you done your research? you seem to be biasing off of everything with old knowledge.

I talked to a doctor yesterday who teaches at UCSF med school. He told me that back in the day, DO's were not known to do medicine, but they were an alternative that use to be more hands on. Then for some reason DO students wanted to do MD stuff. Began taking the same exams as MDs and began taking over the MD residencies. Now there are a bunch of new DO schools popping everywhere. What he told me is that DOs are the first to get cut in the residencies and fellowships.
So yeah! I have done my research.

I talked to a doctor yesterday who teaches at UCSF med school. He told me that back in the day, DO's were not known to do medicine, but they were an alternative that use to be more hands on. Then for some reason DO students wanted to do MD stuff. Began taking the same exams as MDs and began taking over the MD residencies. Now there are a bunch of new DO schools popping everywhere. What he told me is that DOs are the first to get cut in the residencies and fellowships.
So yeah! I have done my research.
Like said before, it has been discussed ad nauseum. The NRMP data doesn't lie. DO takes precedence over Caribbean MD.

Honestly I think people who go Caribbean over DO just because it is an MD deserve to face the consequences of their stubbornness and elitism.

Honestly I think people who go Caribbean over DO just because it is an MD deserve to face the consequences of their stubbornness and elitism.
And nearly all of them do. They end up either dropping out, unmatched or going to primary care in the boondocks. It's a very small minority that succeeds. Hopefully that precious MD makes them happy when they serve my table at the Olive Garden.

Nice to know why everyone hates pre-meds. It's because of people like you who put down others!
First of all, DO's are only recognized in California as a real doctor, don't believe me? go ask your family doctor!
Second of all, I will likely go out to third world countries and volunteer my time. Something DOs cant!
And finally, go ask a general person if he has ever heard of a DO before, they will most likely say NO.
I am not hating on DOs, but stating facts that SGU avg from last year is almost equal to majority of the DO programs in the US.
How is that elitism? I would like a MD over a DO so that I can go to third world countries and help people in need. If you think that people who want MDs over DO are elitism then you are wrong!

Nice to know why everyone hates pre-meds. It's because of people like you who put down others!
First of all, DO's are only recognized in California as a real doctor, don't believe me? go ask your family doctor!
Second of all, I will likely go out to third world countries and volunteer my time. Something DOs cant!
And finally, go ask a general person if he has ever heard of a DO before, they will most likely say NO.
I am not hating on DOs, but stating facts that SGU avg from last year is almost equal to majority of the DO programs in the US.
How is that elitism? I would like a MD over a DO so that I can go to third world countries and help people in need. If you think that people who want MDs over DO are elitism then you are wrong!
Oh, I see. You're a troll. I will give you a thumbs up :thumbup: because you managed to fool me up to this point.

Look, you can create all kind of excuses to justify applying to Caribbean schools over DO but please don't spread misinformation here.

Macklemore-Laughing-Smiling-Reaction-Gif.gif

Last I looked, DO are not recognized outside of US.
So if you think I am lying, good for you. Because you have decided to take the DO route, good for you. I am just bringing up a personal experience.
I am applying to both DO and MD schools. But I would prefer a MD to practice outside of the US.
Sure, there are a few big programs that will welcome a DO, for example, Doctors without Borders. But, if you want to go out on your own to practice in third world countries, then GL.

Last I looked, DO are not recognized outside of US.
So if you think I am lying, good for you. Because you have decided to take the DO route, good for you. I am just bringing up a personal experience.
I am applying to both DO and MD schools. But I would prefer a MD to practice outside of the US.
Sure, there are a few big programs that will welcome a DO, for example, Doctors without Borders. But, if you want to go out on your own to practice in third world countries, then GL.

He does have a point though. He might be able to practice medicine in a third world country while hiding from creditors who will surely want their 400k back that he paid for the "MD". I like your plan just make sure that you learn the language and don't take too much business away from the locals.

this is such BS. I'm in NY and I have a dermatologist who is a DO and have even met a DO plastic surgeon here.

You also stated in your other post that SGU average GPA is a 3.6 - this is false. The average cGPA is 3.34 and science GPA is 3.26 (source - http://etalk.sgu.edu/faqs/medfaq.pdf)

Remember that SGU has a lot of Canadian students. In Canada, anything under a 3.8/33 is pretty much a Caribbean sentence.

I don't agree there. I went to school in Canada and GPA is VERY IMPORTANT. Yet, the MCAT is not. The average acceptance for some schools is 29. Canadian schools care less about research and ECs than US schools.

The reason why some are so competitive is because some schools give geographical preferences whereas others do not. So some get preference for their own province where those in Ontario get zilch.

Overall, if you look at the number of applicants/acceptance, a lot of US state schools accept a lower percentage than the "top" Canadian schools.