~3.25cGPA, 33MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3.25cGPA, 3.15sGPA (yeah, I know).
33 MCAT (11PS, 12VR, 10BS)
ORM
Iowa resident

So, here's my situation: I graduated from a top 20 in 2014. I started off pretty badly (with GPAs in the mid/upper 2's in my fresh and soph years) due to a lack of maturity, but I got my stuff together and upward trended. I got a 3.8 in orgo I and calc III in the summer after my sophomore year (retakes from a D+ and a C-, I think), and after that, I was 3.4-3.5.3.6 in next three semesters and a 3.8 in my last. I took most of my prereqs in my first two years, so those grades are around the B/B- range, but I generally got A's/A-'s in my upper div science classes (neuroscience major).

I have a bunch of research experience, and I first authored a publication while in college, which was featured as a key scientific article in another journal. I was also invited to speak at an international conference, which I probably won't be able to go to. Dunno if that counts for anything. Expecting co-authorship on another paper.

I've been working full time as a scribe since graduation, about 1500 clinical hours. I was chief scribe for most of it (tack on managerial duties like hiring, training, chart reviews, etc). Next year, during the app cycle, I'll be implementing new scribe programs at various hospitals across the country. This'll (hopefully) amount to 2 gap years, which I think has been a great decision.

I think I've written a thoughtful and compelling PS, including my scribing experience and touching on my GPA (and how I've grown from it). Secondaries should be good as well. LORs from my uni might be good, or they might be lukewarm. I'm really not sure. LOR from a doc that I've been working with should be excellent.

That's not my complete app, but that's the gist of it. It's pretty weak overall, I think, but I'm hoping I might have a shot at some US MD schools. I'll be applying early and very broadly. Considering DO, too, but I'd rather go the MD route. As it stands now, what are my chances at (any) US MD school?

I'll include any more info if I need to. Thanks, everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
A 3.15 sGPA isn't even 10th percentile matriculating score for the vast majority of MD schools. In fact, I can't think of a school with a 10th percentile GPA that low.

You'd be better served taking a year to boost that sGPA and then applying. If you can get it to a 3.4-3.5 you'd have a really solid application.

Also, I wouldn't throw out the idea of DO as MD is no guarantee.

Your chances for MD acceptance are less than 50%. Apply to at least 10 DO schools in June and submit all your secondaries by July. For MD consider these schools:
Iowa
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
New York Medical
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane
Any new private MD schools that open in 2016

Members don't see this ad :)
under 50% is underselling just how difficult it might be -- table 25 puts this applicant at 33% or below

also, are those GPAs AMCAS-calculated, or did you do it yourself? i ask because you mentioned getting a "3.8" in orgo...AMCAS counts an A- as a 3.7, not a 3.8.

if you're intent on MD, stick with your state school and apply to all the private low-tiers you can. faha's list is a good start but get the MSAR too. a better idea might be to think about a post-bac or SMP

Thanks for the responses. By 3.8, I actually meant that I got a 4.0 in orgo and a 3.7 in calc iii. It showed up on my transcript as a 3.8 something. I guess the way I worded it was pretty unclear. Haha. The sGPA and cGPA I listed above are AMCAS calculated.

I'm definitely applying to SMPs, too. But I'd rather not drop the 70k and take the risk of an SMP if I can avoid it, which is why I'm not doing one next year. I'm applying to a lot of the schools (most, if not all) on Faha's list. And I have (and have been using) the MSAR.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be pretty difficult to get into an MD. The chances of you getting into an MD is very low so mine as well take the year to do a postbacc and apply MD if that is what your heart desires. But you sound like you are open to DO so look into DO schools because you do have a chance at some DO schools and there are plenty of great DO schools.