3.27/2.97 gpa...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowbird12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some advice on what mt options are now.

I recently graduated with a 3.27 gpa
and 2.97 science

Im registered for the march 22 mcat..but am already behind..

I know I need to sort out my time mangement and study skills also other inner issues that could be holding me back...

Other than that what else can I do now?

my Ecs are pretty lacking too..like I can just count on two clubs I was part of but that was only in my freshman year...I volunteered at hospital for 5 or six months.
I volunteered two summers at medical facility for mainly seniors.

I shadowed a doctor once..i could get more shadowing experience.

I heard about smps..I think if I live on campus..I could do well in it...
but as ive heard i would beed to do real well in it or else ive wasted money....

Time is huge factor for me..im 26 God willing 27 in April
And I really would not want to push back applying for med school toll next year..if I did and got accepted I'd be 29 when I'd start...

anyway..i know being positive is important
the only other factor left is the Mcat maybe if I do well on that..I'd have a better chance of getting I

into med school..but how high of a score could help?..

Anyway I'd appreciate goof advice thanks...
right now ..looking for a job ...studying for mcat...looking at smps etc to apply to ..and dealing with recommendation letters

Btw I could be considered for urm and have looked at the stats for someone of my race admission into medical school with ( the gpa/mcat score)..

Nevertheless I still need help knowing where and how to go from where I am at...every individual is different..plus I know extracurricular aren't that great so..

Members don't see this ad.

I know what people like Goro are going to say as far as grades go, I think your best shot is to apply broadly DO. Retake any F/D/C coursework and get that beautiful grade forgiveness. As far as MCAT goes, I would shoot for 26+ (hopefully at least 8 in each category), and if you feel super behind, I would take the rescheduling period 18 days before. I think, for the EC's, a good bit of consistent volunteering either somewhere medical or not (whatever you love doing) and shadowing would not hurt. And please, don't feel like age is the be all end all, every medical school I have toured has told me the exact same thing: you are never too old to go a different route. There are always people like you that get accepted to medical school as far as age.

Thanks for the advice...Do you think I should still consider doing an smp?

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhh.... well it depends I guess. There is definitely no bad that can come from it if you do well...grade forgiveness is also an option for classes you weren't satisfied with as far as DO schools go, an SMP would help if you wanted to try for a better shot at MD I believe, you'd have to ask Goro or Gyngyn, but thats based on what I have heard. Do you have a list of potential schools?

Well
Evms
Georgetown smp
temple acms
Drexel dpms

I am still in the process of compiling a list

I suggest that if you have any F/D/C science grades, that you re-take them and utilize AACOMAs' grade replacement policy. The poor sGPA will limit you to a handful of DO programs (not mine, you'd be auto-rejected), unless you score wonderfully well on MCAT (>30).

An SMP would be advised only if you're committed to an MD degree. SMP programs are a dime-a-dozen.

It would also be helpful if you shadowed a DO, and get more non-clinical volunteer experience. Displays of altruism are always appreciated.

Age is not an issue. Some of my all-time best students ahve been in their 30s and 40s.

Thanks for the advice...Do you think I should still consider doing an smp?

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest that if you have any F/D/C science grades, that you re-take them and utilize AACOMAs' grade replacement policy. The poor sGPA will limit you to a handful of DO programs (not mine, you'd be auto-rejected), unless you score wonderfully well on MCAT (>30).

An SMP would be advised only if you're committed to an MD degree. SMP programs are a dime-a-dozen.

It would also be helpful if you shadowed a DO, and get more non-clinical volunteer experience. Displays of altruism are always appreciated.

Age is not an issue. Some of my all-time best students ahve been in their 30s and 40s.

Hey Goro,

quick question:

Does the ADCOM see all of the grades retaken?

In the eyes of either yourself or your ADCOM colleagues, do you frown upon multiple times to retake the same class? Say for instance If Orgo is a C, then is retaken for a B, then finally retaken for an A, would the adcom frown on this multiple attempt?

How do the ADCOM view Ws or Audits over a retaken class, as far as the pre recs are concerned? Say for instance in the middle of the semester you would get a C, would it be better to take a W or end up with a C and then retake?

Do you guys ever accept people with 3.0 in the sciences that barely pass the auto screen ? If so, what then on average are their cumulative GPAs, MCAT, and resumes like to compensate for a lower science GPA? Are they mostly URMs? Is it even possible at your school to compensate for a lower science, such as a 3.0 or 3.1?

Thank you for the advice. You are truly a boon to this site.

I would like some advice on what mt options are now.

Im registered for the march 22 mcat..but am already behind..

I know I need to sort out my time mangement and study skills also other inner issues that could be holding me back...

Well the first question is if you have figured out what the problem is and have fixed it. If you are already falling behind on the MCAT, it may be that you still have not developed a clear strategy that will allow you to be successful in handling graduate level material. Along those lines, I think you should bump your MCAT back a month or so if possible, and really focus on studying for it. Regardless of if you do DO or MD, a strong MCAT would do wonders for your application.
Now, if your MCAT goes well, and you have moved past your study issues, then maybe you can consider applying this cycle. However, I think you would benefit a lot more from taking an extra year to re-take some courses, and get some shadowing experience to buff up your application for DO. Spend a year doing well in your courses, and apply with confidence knowing that you can handle the workload rather than trying to dodge auto-screens. Again, it all comes back to you resolving whatever difficulties you had earlier, so you are prepared for when it gets harder. Don't worry about age, there are people in my class in their late thirties and they have no problems at all.
As for the SMP, I think it is only worth it if you really do amazing on the MCAT (like 32-33+). Your stats are quite low for MD, so unless if you can present an impressive MCAT and be the top of a strong SMP an MD seems rather tough (though someone with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong).

We do

I don't, but a few do. I would have to ask an applicant why s/he'd retake a B.

In the eyes of either yourself or your ADCOM colleagues, do you frown upon multiple times to retake the same class? Say for instance If Orgo is a C, then is retaken for a B, then finally retaken for an A, would the adcom frown on this multiple attempt?

Better to take the W. Ws do not appear to be as lethal as a poor grade, even if it's obvious someone might be trying to preserve their GPA. I remember a pre-med friend telling me when I was in college how "unfair it was that SUNY Stony Brook treated Ws as Fs for GPA calculation". I guess they don't do that anymore.

How do the ADCOM view Ws or Audits over a retaken class, as far as the pre recs are concerned? Say for instance in the middle of the semester you would get a C, would it be better to take a W or end up with a C and then retake?

At my school? Rarely. 3.1 seems to be our floor, along with some other schools. My Dean likes high MCAT scores, so that, if anything, might save a low sGPA person. URMs wil get some slack, but only to a point. We do reject URMs who give evidence that they wouldn't be able to habdle our curriculum. No medical school does anybody a favor by accepting someone who is at high risk to flunk out.

Do you guys ever accept people with 3.0 in the sciences that barely pass the auto screen ? If so, what then on average are their cumulative GPAs, MCAT, and resumes like to compensate for a lower science GPA? Are they mostly URMs? Is it even possible at your school to compensate for a lower science, such as a 3.0 or 3.1?

We do

I don't, but a few do. I would have to ask an applicant why s/he'd retake a B.

Better to take the W. Ws do not appear to be as lethal as a poor grade, even if it's obvious someone might be trying to preserve their GPA. I remember a pre-med friend telling me when I was in college how "unfair it was that SUNY Stony Brook treated Ws as Fs for GPA calculation". I guess they don't do that anymore.

At my school? Rarely. 3.1 seems to be our floor, along with some other schools. My Dean likes high MCAT scores, so that, if anything, might save a low sGPA person. URMs wil get some slack, but only to a point. We do reject URMs who give evidence that they wouldn't be able to habdle our curriculum. No medical school does anybody a favor by accepting someone who is at high risk to flunk out.

How does this hard 3.1 sGPA apply to students with post-bacc histories. For instance, I graduated with a sGPA slightly lower than the OP's, but have completely 20 credits so far of a 3.96 c/sGPA. I now have a 3.04, and expect a 3.1 sGPA by the end of the semester.

Ahh! I had forgotten to consider than scenario. In this case, a stellar post-bac will always trump a poor overall sGPA. The key thing is to get some human eyeballs on the app.

It never hurts to call an Admissions dean and ask "Am I competitive?"

How does this hard 3.1 sGPA apply to students with post-bacc histories. For instance, I graduated with a sGPA slightly lower than the OP's, but have completely 20 credits so far of a 3.96 c/sGPA. I now have a 3.04, and expect a 3.1 sGPA by the end of the semester.

Reactions: 1 users
Stats

gpa 3.27 sgpa 2.97 mcat 20

One shadow experience
Some volunteering

So clearly my profile is weak

I wanted to apply to smp/certificate programs this year.

I was not confident about taking the mcat and was not prepared but because an program I wanted to apply to required a score ..I still took it and got a 20.

After researching a little about my issue
where I think I messed up was
Not being organized routine about studying..I did not study enough .
Not using the aamc outline
Not giving my self enough time

I feel like I have other issues mind soul spiritual inside affecting my ability to really study

My study skills are lacking. .if I did not study well and enough in college how was I to expect my self to have the discipline to follow the Sn2 three month schedule

Im nearly 27 and really need to pray if this is path I should take

I REALLY should have made sure I knew everything that was on the Official aamc mcat outline

I think that's where I really failed...I should have followed the outline as the guiding light of what to know since it clearly states the concepts that will be on the test -maybe I would have don e much better having a stronger foundation for the test. Also of course doing th practice aamc test under the right conditions. .

Having a strong foundation knowing the concepts is important. .
I did not pace myself when studying and have a good plan..so if I really choose to pursue medicine I need to work on these..

I thought maybe I should wait a year to study and take the new mcat...but I want to do the smp orcert program.study ing for both would not be smart or wise to do now...

Other than thought maybe I could shoot for August or September but Id need to start preparing studying now

Any advice on what I could do concerning mcat?

I Need a clear plan that I will stick too
Maybe I should forgo an smp this year and just use next upcoming s chool year to study..?..but money is a factor. .Id really need to get a full-time job..anyway yeah need help and guidance ..to pray and change my way one example being positive..be more proactive and fight for what I am to do .

Last edited:
Skip the MCAT! Work on some serious grade repair! Work on your ECs. After you manage to do all of that(probably a couple of years from now) you can study for and take the MCAT. You are nowhere near ready to take the MCAT or ready to apply.

Reactions: 1 user