3.29 cGPA, 3.29sGPA, 32 (13/9/10) MCAT, AA URM TX RESIDENT (RE-applicant to TX)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonofDavid2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask if ANYONE (especially TX residents) could look at my stats, story, and my ECs and tell advise me if I should even bother applying out of state. My stats are :

Since my last time applying in 2013, I have had 4 semesters of a 3.5, 3.5, 4.0, and 4.0 GPA. The last two semesters where all upper-division BIO classes. My GPA increased from a 2.84 to a 3.29 science and cumulative.

Increased my MCAT from a 26 to a 32.

URM AA male; TX resident (re-applicant to TMDSAS schools (2013 cycle), not AMCAS schools)

ECs:

Leadership: Numerous leadership positions that have shaped my personal desire for medicine; President of my fraternity, Student Government Senator, Christian ministry leader, Mentoring leader for 3 years
Clinical Experience: Study aboard trip to sub Saharan African Country for hospital mission trip, 100+hrs of shadowing, cancer center preceptorship (140 hours), Medical Scribe (till Fall 2016)
Volunteering: 3 mentoring volunteering jobs with middle school, high school, and college students (500 hours), volunteered in Food Banks of the Charlotte area, Many hours dedicated to my volunteer ministry
Research: Two summer research projects, one poster presentation

Though I am only roughly describing my ECs, I feel very confident about them, and my overall theme in my PS and secondary essays.

School List:
All Texas Schools (UT Southwestern (reach), UT-Houston, UT- San Antonio, UTMB, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, UNT etc) (I just turned in my TMDSAS last week, planning on turning in my AMCAS next week when i get money lol)

Duke (super reach)
Baylor (reach)
Wash U (super reach)
Wake Forest
(I put Duke and Wake because I my undergraduate school has ties to them)

My question is, is it even worth it to apply out of state? Baylor and UTSW already feel like reaches for me, and if I have would have a tough time getting into the those two, why apply to Duke or WashU when it would be hard to get in AND get enough money to go there?? (I know TX residents have less chances out of the state if their stats are meh.) Im pretty much asking, do you think I can get enough money from Duke or WashU to justify applying there? And do I even have a chance at Baylor or UTSW? I would be fine with any Texas school; I just know Baylor and UTSW are the dreams. I am open to any opinions , let me know what yall think. Please add or subtract any schools you think I should apply to!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The top 5 talk might be a bit much but yes you should apply OOS. Your application is far different than it was 2 years ago.

Here's a relevant link to those interested: https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstable25-2.pdf
As always this table is incomplete and does not mean Applicant X's chances of getting into medical school is 75% or whatever the value in the column is.

Here is what I would look into. I think you'll get interviews, particularly with your Texas schools.

The Texas Schools: Yes that includes Baylor and UTSW apply to all of them you have made significant improvements since your last application
Any DO School
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Loyola
Howard
Creighton
Rochester
Emory
USC
Mayo
Einstein
Boston U
Mt. Sinai
Saint Louis
Rush
Loma Linda(read about it)
Morehouse
Georgetown
George Washington
VCU
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Miami
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland
Western Michigan
Quinnipac
Tulane
New York Medical College

Those involved with admission will have more helpful advice and can give you specific OOS schools to target but yes private schools and Texas one's are very good choices for you.

Last edited:
I will definitely pick from this list; there are alot of good choices. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep yall updated!!!

@GrapesofRath
I am fully complete for all the following schools below. I have one II from a TX school!! I am super grateful! It is one more than last time hahaha.

I have limited money, but I think I have enough to add a couple more schools. Are there any special ones from your list that you recommend for a safety/good fit? I think I have more than enough reaches (Baylor, NU, Emory, UTSW). I am thinking of adding Morehouse and Howard.

Also, I know that it is early in the cycle, but should I worry that I have not heard back from more TX schools? They have invited students whom have identical stats to me that were complete after me. Should I assume they reviewed my app and decided against me? I know that TX schools do not favor re-applicant students. I ask so I can be prepared to add more safeties/fits to my application.

Thank you all for your help so far. Yall have been huge help in forming my list so far.

UT Southwestern
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
UTMB Galveston
Texas A&M HSC
Texas Tech Lubbock
Texas Tech El paso
Baylor (my number one if they will take me!!)
Emory
Northwestern Feinberg (they gave me a secondary fee waiver)
Wake Forest

@GrapesofRath
I am fully complete for all the following schools below. I have one II from a TX school!! I am super grateful! It is one more than last time hahaha.

I have limited money, but I think I have enough to add a couple more schools. Are there any special ones from your list that you recommend for a safety/good fit? I think I have more than enough reaches (Baylor, NU, Emory, UTSW). I am thinking of adding Morehouse and Howard.

Also, I know that it is early in the cycle, but should I worry that I have not heard back from more TX schools? They have invited students whom have identical stats to me that were complete after me. Should I assume they reviewed my app and decided against me? I know that TX schools do not favor re-applicant students. I ask so I can be prepared to add more safeties/fits to my application.

Thank you all for your help so far. Yall have been huge help in forming my list so far.

UT Southwestern
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
UTMB Galveston
Texas A&M HSC
Texas Tech Lubbock
Texas Tech El paso
Baylor (my number one if they will take me!!)
Emory
Northwestern Feinberg (they gave me a secondary fee waiver)
Wake Forest

There is zero point in worrying beyond what you can control. As cliche as it sounds its just not worthwhile. To answer your question no not hearing back from schools for II's at this stage of the process is not a cause for concern.

All the HBCU's schools are very good(and necessary) additions. Morehouse and Howard should be added to your list for sure. gyngyn has often stated that many MD schools don't really consider Texas applicants due to their track record of never matriculating outside of Texas but URM admission works differently so that might perhaps complicate things. Nonetheless, having said that top schools are still worth an application(many top schools think they can convince anybody to matriculate their if they accept them regardless of where they live). So If you are looking for schools to add all the HBCU's are the way to go as well as a couple bigger names such as Northwestern.

You should be fine. I wouldn't worry about not having any success last cycle as it was rather evident even for a URM a 2.8/26 simply is not good enough. Now your stats are good enough with a 3.3/32. I definitely don't think this is the only II you'll end up getting.

Thanks for the wise words Grapes of Rath. I will keep you all updated throughout the entire process! I am praying for the best.

You need to be applying DO; that GPA is fatal for MD schools, even with grad school under your belt. Better safe than sorry, especially as a reapplicant.

Good luck!