MD & DO 3.3/3.1, 27, URM. higher DO GPA. what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLacrosse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Suggest aiming for the HBCs, low tier MD (like NYMC, the Philly triplets, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, Albany, Penn State), and any DO school.

So I just got my MCAT score back, and I can't believe I'm finally posting one of these, but I need some real help here. I'm pretty upset with my score, and I feel like I'm in that grey area of not knowing whether to retake or not.

I would be very happy with DO, but wanted to give myself a shot at MD. doesn't look like I have one now, but maybe you guys can help with that decision?

-NY Resident, black/white/hispanic URM
-MD GPA: ~3.3/3.1
-DO GPA: ~3.5/3.4
-MCAT: 27

Solid ECs
-Two clinical jobs for 3 years (CNA/ER tech)
-3 years clinical research (no pubs)
-clinical and non-clinical volunteering, one helping the URM community
-a couple cool honors, other little things, but those are the majors

LORs should be pretty strong, though my committee letter evaluation is yet to be seen. I'm a very outgoing guy with lots of hobbies, which I hear they like.

Any advice here? Should I maybe only send out a few MD apps since I already submitted? Should I retake in about a month? Focus only on DO and don't retake? Please help! Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Suggest aiming for the HBCs, low tier MD (like NYMC, the Philly triplets, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, Albany, Penn State), and any DO school.

thank you for the advice! do you think I have any shot at MD or is it kinda just rolling the dice with no real chance and praying for the best?

also, would you advise a retake at all, or should I just take this and focus on apps at this point? thanks again!

Well first thing to do is to calm yourself down. Beat up your little brother, play some video games, and then eat some cheesecake.

I would say that trying for this cycle doesn't hurt; there is always a chance that some school out there might like you for you instead of your numbers.

With that being said, you should definitely prepare for the possibility that you may not get in anywhere. So, I would say apply with this score but study and retake as well, so you have a high score under your name for next year if needed. I say this because, you probably don't want to put yourself in the horrible of taking that new MCAT in 2015.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Well first thing to do is to calm yourself down. Beat up your little brother, play some video games, and then eat some cheesecake.

I would say that trying for this cycle doesn't hurt; there is always a chance that some school out there might like you for you instead of your numbers.

With that being said, you should definitely prepare for the possibility that you may not get in anywhere. So, I would say apply with this score but study and retake as well, so you have a high score under your name for next year if needed. I say this because, you probably don't want to put yourself in the horrible of taking that new MCAT in 2015.

Good luck!

good advice. I'm just hoping I can get into a DO school of my liking with the possibility of MD if a school likes me. I guess ill just keep going with the app and hope for the best.

I think you'll be OK with the current score, especially if the VR was the category bringing the entire score down.

thank you Goro, your opinion has always been one I value, so I appreciate it! I will keep the score and go with it, hoping for the best.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone care to chime in...

is 30 MD and 8 DO schools too much? not enough? I know it's hard to say with my stats, but I'm hoping this would be enough. thoughts?