3.3 cGPA 3.0 sGPA recent grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

distillation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am not here to give my whole background story, but would like brief advice that I can research on my own given the information provided.

I recently graduated from a top 30 private university in the US. I underperformed in science and I know I can definitely improve. I have displayed an upwards trend since freshman year especially Junior and Senior year, except for my final semester. I tried very hard to complete my double major and the course load was more than I can handle.

So, I graduated with a ~3.3 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. B.S. in Economics and Biology

I know that even if I perform extremely well on the MCAT, getting into a MD school is a stretch at this point in time.

So, I was wondering if someone can give me some guidance regarding my options. I've come to realize that perhaps I should try a SMP or a Postbacc program. Do I have a chance to gain admission to them with my current stats. Will I have a chance of MD if I perform well afterwards? I just need some guidance and honest opinions. Please help my mother wants me to study MCAT this summer, but with MD application in a seemingly distant future I would like to travel rehash over my college experience and figure out my next option after the summer.

Also, I would likely have to take the new MCAT if I am going to take some time off and then do a year-long program is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I am just wondering, was I not detailed enough to warrant a response. I plan to take the MCAT in January. As I mentioned I am a recent graduate and unemployed, so I plan to primarily be studying for 3 months. I will likely be volunteering simultaneously, but my focus is on getting the best result I can in these 3 months. So, I am still wondering about the questions posed in the first post. Thanks

I guess you decided against a post-bacc or SMP? What are you doing for the next year, and the year after?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered DO? It might be the best wY for you to gain an acceptance to a medical school. You should research that option!

Take a year of upper division science courses (a heavy course load, not just one or two classes a semester), do well in those classes, then study hard and take the mcat. Give yourself the time you need to have a successful application. If that means applying 1-2 years from now, then so be it.

To address all three. Maybe I am unprepared, but I am planning on doing a post-bacc/SMP. I was going to study MCAT now and take it in January, while at the same time applying for enrollment in those programs for the Fall of 2015.

I have researched DO and was considering it, but I thought that by doing a successful post-bacc/SMP paired with a good MCAT score, I can gain entrance into an MD school, which based on my research I prefer their approach to teaching.

Lastly, where can I enroll in upper division science courses. I was considering something like that for one semester, but I didn't know where I could enroll in courses like these. Is it like an extension school or am I simply just taking courses at a local university without pursuing a degree. Do all schools allow this?