3.3 GPA - Any chance for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ewarsaw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my third year at Northeastern University, and I just changed my major to Biology. I came into college undeclared and then transferred to International Business. I had a really bad semester, as I quickly realized that business wasn't for me. I changed my major to Criminal Justice at the beginning of last year, and while I found it really interesting, I just couldn't see myself in the field.

My mom and grandma are both in the medical field, so I was always pushed toward medicine. I've always loved and excelled in science, but I kind of talked myself out of going into the field. In December, I started working for a gastroenterologist, and I realized how stupid I've been all these years. I understand that I'm pretty far behind, but for the first time in my life, I really know what I want to do.

My GPA right now is only a 2.82 because of that bad semester. At the time, I was struggling with some personal issues and just didn't try as hard as I should have. Since then, my grades have been a lot better. I had a 3.8 last semester, and I'm going to work as hard as possible to get a 4.0 this semester. I think I can probably get my GPA up to a 3.2-3.3 by the time I start applying to schools. I plan on volunteering at Boston Children's Hospital this year and hopefully getting some sort of job at a hospital in the fall. I also have plans to shadow a few doctors in the coming weeks.

I don't expect to get into the best med school, but if I get in the mid 30s on my MCAT, is there any chance I'll get into an MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah science GPA plays a big factor and do you plan to have research and shadowing? If you do not have one of them it will be pretty difficult since most of the applicants do.

You might have to take a year off and do some extra work to get back on track and get more experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most entering med students are around 24. I would suggest you take a year or two off and try to find a lab job, take extra science classes on the side to raise your science gpa and definitely do some community service and then apply. I think if you then put in your personal statement everything you've realized and show that you've taken a serious interest and did everything you were supposed to you'll be fine. I messed up in college (way worse than you lol) and that's what I did.. but it took me a few years after college to realized that going to med school was what I REALLY wanted. I also did a post bacc program after not getting in my first time applying... BUT, you probably don't have to do that. Make sure you get good letters of recommendation too, next year cozy up to a few science professors and get that letter before you graduate. Good luck!

Your stats look decent, stick to your plans and you will get into a MD school.

Rising trends are good and there are schools that like reinvention. Many schools also pay attention to the last 2-3 three years.

I'm going into my third year at Northeastern University, and I just changed my major to Biology. I came into college undeclared and then transferred to International Business. I had a really bad semester, as I quickly realized that business wasn't for me. I changed my major to Criminal Justice at the beginning of last year, and while I found it really interesting, I just couldn't see myself in the field.

My mom and grandma are both in the medical field, so I was always pushed toward medicine. I've always loved and excelled in science, but I kind of talked myself out of going into the field. In December, I started working for a gastroenterologist, and I realized how stupid I've been all these years. I understand that I'm pretty far behind, but for the first time in my life, I really know what I want to do.

My GPA right now is only a 2.82 because of that bad semester. At the time, I was struggling with some personal issues and just didn't try as hard as I should have. Since then, my grades have been a lot better. I had a 3.8 last semester, and I'm going to work as hard as possible to get a 4.0 this semester. I think I can probably get my GPA up to a 3.2-3.3 by the time I start applying to schools. I plan on volunteering at Boston Children's Hospital this year and hopefully getting some sort of job at a hospital in the fall. I also have plans to shadow a few doctors in the coming weeks.

I don't expect to get into the best med school, but if I get in the mid 30s on my MCAT, is there any chance I'll get into an MD school?

I think you'll be OK for a Caribbean MD program. Any reason you're not giving DO schools any thought?

If you get your GPA to a 3.3 and do very well on the MCAT with a 34-36(much, much easier said then done) then you'll probably have a reasonable chance for a MD.

But realize now you're starting with a huge disadvantage (a 2.8) and nothing right now really indicates you know with reasonable certainty that you're capable of getting into an MD program. It really will depend on how hard you work (which you can control) and how smart and lucky you are (which you can't control). The vast majority of people who start pursuing a MD will fail and I imagine that's especially true for students who start with a 2.8. Lastly, realize now that even if you do eventually succeed this will likely be an extremely expensive process (an extra year of classes and a private MD school are no joke).

Best of luck.

What is your current science GPA and what you think that it will be when you start applying to schools?

I haven't actually taken any sciences classes yet, as I didn't anticipate going into the medical field. I'm hoping my science GPA will be around a 3.7 at the very least.

Most entering med students are around 24. I would suggest you take a year or two off and try to find a lab job, take extra science classes on the side to raise your science gpa and definitely do some community service and then apply. I think if you then put in your personal statement everything you've realized and show that you've taken a serious interest and did everything you were supposed to you'll be fine. I messed up in college (way worse than you lol) and that's what I did.. but it took me a few years after college to realized that going to med school was what I REALLY wanted. I also did a post bacc program after not getting in my first time applying... BUT, you probably don't have to do that. Make sure you get good letters of recommendation too, next year cozy up to a few science professors and get that letter before you graduate. Good luck!

I've done some research the past few days, and it think it might be a good idea for me to take a year off after my undergrad. I'm just concerned that it would put me behind my peers. Do you feel that it has helped you become more competitive for getting into med school?

I think you'll be OK for a Caribbean MD program. Any reason you're not giving DO schools any thought?
I'll probably apply to a few DO schools just to be safe, but I don't think I'm interested in Caribbean MD schools.

If you get your GPA to a 3.3 and do very well on the MCAT with a 34-36(much, much easier said then done) then you'll probably have a reasonable chance for a MD.

But realize now you're starting with a huge disadvantage (a 2.8) and nothing right now really indicates you know with reasonable certainty that you're capable of getting into an MD program. It really will depend on how hard you work (which you can control) and how smart and lucky you are (which you can't control). The vast majority of people who start pursuing a MD will fail and I imagine that's especially true for students who start with a 2.8. Lastly, realize now that even if you do eventually succeed this will likely be an extremely expensive process (an extra year of classes and a private MD school are no joke).

Best of luck.
I know that I've put myself in kind of a bad place. My grades are far below average, but I'm hoping that if I work really hard the next two years I'll be able to get my GPA up to around a 3.4 or 3.5. Then I'll hopefully be able to make up for it with a decent MCAT and good ECs and recommendations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done some research the past few days, and it think it might be a good idea for me to take a year off after my undergrad. I'm just concerned that it would put me behind my peers. Do you feel that it has helped you become more competitive for getting into med school?
You're so young, don't worry about being behind your peers. Enjoy your life.. if you enter med school at 23 or 24 you'll be like an average medical student. And of course maturity improves your candidacy; I've met so many people who are just so awkward around people and who have very one sided viewpoints. Working for a year or two will allow you to save some money, meet new people and perspectives and more importantly will help you learn how to work within a group (which you can discuss on your application and in your interview). There are some people who go directly from undergrad to med school which is fine if they're super ready but a majority of people are not and thats why the average matriculating age is 24. Do what's best for you but don't feel bad about "being behind your peers" because you absolutely will not be! Hope this helps.

Haven't taken a single science class yet but you make a WAMC thread. Come back after at least a year of being a premed for more helpful advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't taken a single science class yet but you make a WAMC thread. Come back after at least a year of being a premed for more helpful advice.
No need to be rude about it. I'm just trying to get some advice on how to be better prepared. Don't comment if you don't have anything helpful to say.

Reactions: 1 user
No need to be rude about it. I'm just trying to get some advice on how to be better prepared. Don't comment if you don't have anything helpful to say.
Nothing I said was rude. It was honesty. You have a 0.00 sGPA right now, but you're still expecting to get "mid 30s" on the MCAT. These threads are for people who have actual applicant credentials, not for somebody who decided 20 mins ago that she wants to become a premed.

Want some real advice? Don't worry about shadowing a doctor or volunteering right now. Work on getting good grades in your science classes. It doesn't matter how many hours of volunteering you have if you end up getting C's or B's in your classes.

edgerock's response wasn't rude; I think that it's a bit early to make a WAMC thread when you have yet to take any science courses. After you have taken a year of courses, it's easier to provide feedback regarding the strengths and weaknesses of your application.

it'd be like me asking what my chances of getting into law school while i was halfway through an art major with no law classes.

I haven't actually taken any sciences classes yet, as I didn't anticipate going into the medical field. I'm hoping my science GPA will be around a 3.7 at the very least.

Before you commit yourself to medicine, take some science classes. Shadow a doctor. Feel it out to see if it's actually right for you.

It's not rude to point that out. It's reasonable.

I was just asking if there's any chance of me getting into med school with such a low GPA. Clearly that question isn't welcome here. Other people have given me great answers, so I just don't see why you would bother responding if you don't have anything to contribute.

Nothing I said was rude. It was honesty. You have a 0.00 sGPA right now, but you're still expecting to get "mid 30s" on the MCAT. These threads are for people who have actual applicant credentials, not for somebody who decided 20 mins ago that she wants to become a premed.

Want some real advice? Don't worry about shadowing a doctor or volunteering right now. Work on getting good grades in your science classes. It doesn't matter how many hours of volunteering you have if you end up getting C's or B's in your classes.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree. I just thought the way you went about saying it was a little rude. I know I don't have a lot of experience, so I came here for advice. That's all.

I was just asking if there's any chance of me getting into med school with such a low GPA. Clearly that question isn't welcome here. Other people have given me great answers, so I just don't see why you would bother responding if you don't have anything to contribute.

Sometimes, when you ask a question, the circumstances surrounding that question compel other people to provide you with extra relevant information you probably didn't know, or to answer other questions that in reality you should be asking but just lack the knowledge and experience to ask.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree. I just thought the way you went about saying it was a little rude. I know I don't have a lot of experience, so I came here for advice. That's all.

One of the skills that I think is necessary for the sort of work and training doctors must go through is being able to consume good information and perspectives that aren't necessarily delivered in a way that you find nice, convenient, or sufficiently polite. These posters are offering their advice and experience for free; they are not obligated to do so with a smile while patting you on the head for your naivete.

His advice was to take science courses and see if this is truly something you can commit to and are interested in legitimately. Lots of little kids say they want to be doctors when they grow up, but that doesn't mean they will do it or will want to do it later. I'm not calling you a little kid, but it's a little hard for us to say much when you have a 0.00 sGPA. will you get into an MD school with a 3.2 cGPA? most likely not unless you are URM. but that all depends on the ECs which you don' thave yet and the MCAT which you haven't taken yet. and that 3.2 is hypothetical as well. you see where all the doubt is coming from? there are too many unkonwns.

it'd be like me asking what my chances of getting into law school while i was halfway through an art major with no law classes.

Pretty snarky remark coming from the kid with the 24 MCAT…why don't you buzz off baxt:confused:

Here we go again with the MCAT shaming. what ever shall I do now that a stranger calls me out on my MCAT score? how about you actually contribute something to the thread.

Last edited:
Baxt is right, and I got a 35. What now?

Seriously. Don't be childish.
That's been my only interactions with the dude. Apparently giving advice that doesn't require MCAT knowledge should depend on your MCAT score.

What gets me is he/she comes in here specifically to comment on my MCAT score without adding anything to actually help OP.

OP besides the science issue your GPA isn't 3.3. It is 2.8x. With the information you have given us in this thread we really can't help you. You have so much to do before you should even think about med school. Get your GPA up and take the science classes. You stated that you came here to find out if you had any chance for med school. There isn't one person on here that can give you the answer you want. Come back in a couple of years after you finish ug (with all of your science classes included ), have taken the MCAT and have worked on your ECs. At that point someone may be able to answer you appropriately.

OP,

"I understand that I'm pretty far behind, but for the first time in my life, I really know what I want to do." I honestly think that this says it all. I honestly don't think your current GPA is going to hinder you too much. Hold your chin up, and take those science classes! I completely understand your worries about being behind your peers. It was something I worried about last year. I didn't have a great MCAT score, so I was forced to take a year off. However, I can say that it was one of the best decisions I had made. Though, frankly, it didn't seem so at the time. I was frustrated to see all my friends moving on with their lives, and I was stuck not sure what I was going to do for the next year. I had assumed that I had done well, and I didn't bother with plan Bs, plan Cs, or even plan Ds in my case. The only advice I can give you is similar to those before me.

Enjoy your life. You have the hard part down. You know what you want to do with your life. The easy part is working towards your dreams, which is a great motivator.

I'm always wary about threads asking about chances of getting in. Yes, MCATS, cGPAs, sGPAs, they all do matter to a certain extent. They're what will get you to the secondary and interview stage. After that, it's not necessarily about the numbers but about you as a person. I think they'll see that passion. You'll just have to keep cultivating it.

Enjoy your undergrad years. Take what you want to take. Learn what you want to learn. I realized that my undergraduate years should not have been about taking the most BMB related classes. I wish I had taken more classes that delved into the human condition.

Take your time. If you don't do well on the MCAT or your science classes, well, take higher levels or take them again. Keep trying. This is my mentality: You have 100 years to live, so what's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...10 gap years? It's a small price to pay for something you're passionate about. Hang in there!

FYI, there are no law classes. ANY major would do and (virtually) any classes would do.

Except that there are no "law classes" as in law school prerequisites. Good GPA, ECs and LSAT are all that are required.

FYI, there are no law classes. ANY major would do and (virtually) any classes would do.

Except that there are no "law classes" as in law school prerequisites. Good GPA, ECs and LSAT are all that are required.

well aren't you two experts on law school? please excuse my ignorance about law school but i think it served just fine as a general example that most people would understand.

well aren't you two experts on law school? please excuse my ignorance about law school but i think it served just fine as a general example that most people would understand.

Actually, yes. Among all my friends I'm the only premed. The rest are in law school :D

Besides, that was just FYI. We all know what you mean.

Lol...my sister is applying to law school. Only reason I know.