DO 3.3 sGPA with a bunch of retakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thejoker10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I have a 2.8 sGPA and a 2.9 cGPA. I plan on retaking 6-7 classes to boost me up around 3.3-3.4 in both science and cumulative GPA's. I am also studying for an MCAT and shooting for nothing less than a 30. Would having all those retakes hurt my chances since they were retakes?

EC's:

Lived in NY for 6 months with my sister and shadowed a doctor (he was still in residency) for over 300 hours over 6 months. Plan on getting a LOR from him as well.

Going to start shadowing a DO this summer, probably once a week for a couple months.

Coached basketball for a league for about 5 years now

Been working at a pharmacy for over 5 years.

Tutored 2 hours a week for one year. (in classes I got A's in of course lol)

Probably going to start volunteering at a hospital by the end of the year.

Is this enough or should I be doing more?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope! That's what grade replacement is for. I've interviewed people who completely redid entire UG degrees.

Currently I have a 2.8 sGPA and a 2.9 cGPA. I plan on retaking 6-7 classes to boost me up around 3.3-3.4 in both science and cumulative GPA's. I am also studying for an MCAT and shooting for nothing less than a 30. Would having all those retakes hurt my chances since they were retakes?

Nope! That's what grade replacement is for. I've interviewed people who completely redid entire UG degrees.

Hi Goro, will the retake overwrite the old grade? I thought I have to report all grades and take a grand average for the GPA calculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school doesn't do grade replacement-- they simply add it in as another class-- does the AAMC read retakes as replacements? Does that mean my AAMC sGPA will be different from my school's sGPA?

My school doesn't do grade replacement-- they simply add it in as another class-- does the AAMC read retakes as replacements? Does that mean my AAMC sGPA will be different from my school's sGPA?

DO and MD calculate GPAs differently. AMCAS (MD) does not do grade replacement. AACOMAS (DO) does.

The AACOMAS policy is that a higher retaken grade is the only one counted. AAMAS will average, but AACOMAS does not. Capeesh?
Sorry what is the deference between AAMAS and AACOMAS

I'm sorry @Goro , but let me just say this (I'm sorry because you are too kind and answer people's questions without a complaint, usually).

I feel like too many people just want to be doctors (or anything) without knowing anything about the process and steps that are required.
And when it comes to people applying to DO schools, there are larger % who do not do their research and expect everything to be handed to them.

Examples for:
MD (AMCAS)
1. People do not know Math DOES count as science course
2. People don't think a DO LOR is appropriate for MD schools

DO (AACOMAS)
1. People don't know Math DOESN"T count as science course
2. People don't know which schools require DO LOR or not.
3. People do not think an MD LOR is appropriate for DO schools
4. People do not know what grade replacement means.
5. People do not know that even though your old (pre-retake) grades are seen by AACOMAS/schools but not taken account in GPA calculation
6. People do not know that a class (ex. orgo) from an university can be retaken another university/college if same or greater credit with similar course description

I know there are more to both sides but I'm gonna call it a day here.
What's my point?
DO SOME RESEARCH YOURSELF! The interweb is full of answers to these basic question.
But no, these guys have to get food fed down their throats.
It just to show that these people are choosing DO as their backup at the last minute and have to scramble to get answers.

If you want to be come someone/something, you gotta take initiative and find out answers yourself.
Yes, asking on SDN is doing something and it is what SDN is for. But these kinds of questions have been asked hundreds, if not thousands of times.
"Sorry what is the deference between AAMAS and AACOMAS" - @ZhouMD ????? Really????????????
"Google is your friend. I like helping out, but c'mon, do your homework." - Goro

Yes, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Go on TWO, just TWO, websites and your question will be answered. (aamc.org and aacom.org)
If you want to go to Europe for a vacation, shouldn't you find out the time your plane leaves from the airport???? And where you will be staying at once you get to Europe? And the currency they use? and the language they speak? and the culture? manners?

People are not going to wipe your a$s in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Did I know everything from the start? No.
Did I ask these ridiculous questions? See my message history and see if you can find one (maybe one or so but.... hehe)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry @Goro , but let me just say this (I'm sorry because you are too kind and answer people's questions without a complaint, usually).

I feel like too many people just want to be doctors (or anything) without knowing anything about the process and steps that are required.
And when it comes to people applying to DO schools, there are larger % who do not do their research and expect everything to be handed to them.

Examples for:
MD (AAMAS)

DO (AACOMAS)
5. People do not know that even though your old (pre-retake) grades are seen by AACOMAS/schools but not taken account in GPA calculation
6. People do not know that a class (ex. orgo) from an university can be retaken another university/college if same or greater credit with similar course description

What's my point?
DO SOME RESEARCH YOURSELF! The interweb is full of answers to these basic question.
It just to show that these people are choosing DO as their backup at the last minute and have to scramble to get answers.

If you want to be come someone/something, you gotta take initiative and find out answers yourself.
Yes, asking on SDN is doing something and it is what SDN is for. But these kinds of questions have been asked hundreds, if not thousands of times.
"Sorry what is the deference between AAMAS and AACOMAS" - @ZhouMD ????? Really????????????
"Google is your friend. I like helping out, but c'mon, do your homework." - Goro

Yes, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Go on TWO, just TWO, websites and your question will be answered. (aamc.org and aacom.org)
If you want to go to Europe for a vacation, shouldn't you find out the time your plane leaves from the airport???? And where you will be saying at once you get to Europe? And the currency they use? and the language they speak? and the culture? manners?

Thank you for your reply.

Do those people ever get very far/accepted?

Please apply to my school!!!!

:)

Examples for:
MD (AMCAS)

DO (AACOMAS)

What's my point?

If you want to go to Europe for a vacation, shouldn't you find out the time your plane leaves from the airport???? And where you will be staying at once you get to Europe? And the currency they use? and the language they speak? and the culture? manners?

Reactions: 2 users
Please apply to my school!!!!

:)

Apparently some do not like my choice of words... (another thread)

Hm.... somewhere west of St. Louis, that cuts it down by a lot!!!!

I believe we can narrow down where this mysterious location west of St. Louis is exactly...

Clue #1 -- West of St Louis narrows it down to 11 schools.
Clue #2 -- He has stated the cutoffs for his school in terms of GPA and MCAT (3.0 and 25-26 I believe?)

...That's all I got... maybe, this will be tougher than originally anticipated.