MD 3.35sGPA, 3.6cGPA, 30 (PS 11/ V 7/ BS 12) - Nontrad - Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EBmed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a film degree after high school then went back and got a BS in Biology.

EC's (I worked full time throughout my degree)
I'm doing AmeriCorps with a nonprofit clinic during my gap year.
Volunteering Clinical setting - 90 hrs
Shadowing with Family Medicine MD - 60 hrs

The 7 on verbal is strange, I never scored below a 10 on any of the practice exams.

I'm applying as SES disadvantaged, both my parents are American, neither went to college. I got pell grants, was on free lunches at school. White female from underprivileged background. Washington state resident.

I'm applying to:
Loyola
University of Washington
Northwestern
Cooper
Drexel
Rush
SLU
Temple
University of Arizona
Rosalind Franklin

Should I retake?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would consider retaking and then applying early next cycle. The 7 on verbal can potentially screen you out for many schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
7 was really strange. I've never scored below a 9, I almost always got 10's and sometimes 11.

You don't think I should retest? I am signed up for Sept. 12th test, under the idea that If I'm on a wait they might move me up when my score updates. Is that silly?

You don't think I should retest? I am signed up for Sept. 12th test, under the idea that If I'm on a wait they might move me up when my score updates. Is that silly?
What are the odds that you will help your application with another score?

If you get a lower score, it will hurt you. If you get the same score, it hurts you a little (weak judgement/self-assessment). If you get another point or two, you have only achieved what we expect out of someone who has seen a version of the test and had another chance to study and re-take it. Even if you get three more points, many places will average the scores, thus diluting any real benefit. Is any of these outcomes worth the risk and the opportunity cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about a big increase overall, maybe a few points, but I'm almost certain I'd get a 9 or 10 on verbal. I'd never seen a score lower than 9 on verbal (once), a 7 is really out of bounds for me. Worst case is I get a 30 or 31 but more balanced.

What are the odds that you will help your application with another score?

If you get a lower score, it will hurt you. If you get the same score, it hurts you a little (weak judgement/self-assessment). If you get another point or two, you have only achieved what we expect out of someone who has seen a version of the test and had another chance to study and re-take it. Even if you get three more points, many places will average the scores, thus diluting any real benefit. Is any of these outcomes worth the risk and the opportunity cost?

Not when you put it like that. I'm just worried about the 7. I hear these horror stories about computer screening. Also I worked full time so I don't have a lot of the EC's that others do.

Not when you put it like that. I'm just worried about the 7. I hear these horror stories about computer screening. Also I worked full time so I don't have a lot of the EC's that others do.
More reason to work on EC's.
None of the schools for which you are a candidate screen out a sub-score of 7.

Reactions: 1 user
Delete NW as your MCAT score is well into the <10th %ile. State schools favor the home team, so one has to be >avg for them, so delete U AZ.
PacNW and Western-OR are in your backyard, so suggest considering some DO schools, for which you're fine.

Also suggest adding Quinnipiac, Central MI, Western MI.

Loyola
University of Washington
Northwestern
Cooper
Drexel
Rush
SLU
Temple
University of Arizona
Rosalind Franklin

So in a month I will be starting an Americorps position that is with a non-profit clinic and I will continue to shadow the family medicine doctor that I have already been working with. What other extracurriculars should I add?