MD 3.367 cGPA, 35 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clashic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a hispanic junior studying Biomedical Engineering. I've been concerned about my chance for medical school due to my low cGPA and sGPA (which I suspect to be from 3.1-3.2).

My sGPA is in that range because frankly, I was very lazy freshman year of college. I accepted 35 hours of AP credit, and a majority of that were pre-med classes. Anything that was left I took during my freshman year. I even received a D in Physics E&M due to a 100% of class grade final exam and my stubborn refusal to drop the class. I was able to "freshman exclude" the grade, where the grade was still visible but did not contribute to my overall GPA. I retook it during the following summer at a community college and received an A in it. I also got a 14 on the physical sciences section of the MCAT, which I would think is pretty telling that I improved in that area.

Since then, my GPA has been in an upward trend consistently every semester. However, my classes were mostly engineering courses and contribute nothing to my science GPA. I did take Biochemistry later on and received an A in that course, if that helps. My last couple of semesters averaged out at 3.5.

I began volunteering in a research lab in May 2014 and I am now receiving a grant from the NSF to work full time at the lab during the summer. I am also volunteering at a local hospital in the ER this summer where I will tend directly to the patients needs. My only non-clinical volunteer experience is doing 7 hours of a community event facilitated by my university once a year for 3 years in a row. I am also the president of a research organization and the treasurer of a world health organization in my university.

I am applying to all the Texas (In-state) MD schools for now. I can talk about and sell my improvement and maturing story all I want, but will the Texas medical schools even bother to consider me in the first place?

Members don't see this ad.