MD & DO 3.4/3.15 GPAs w/ 32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genessis42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My two GPAs will be roughly at this range after graduating this semester, but my MCAT is a balanced 32 (11/10/11).
I also have varied ECs with shadowing, volunteering, and some work outside of a medical setting. This is my last semester of college, so I am actually gonna have a gap year.

Which DO schools could fit into these numbers? Any MD schools worth trying? I did premed reqs at a top 20 school too.

How bad would it look to have my last semester GPA be lower than the others?

Could I benefit more from taking science classes at a different 4 year university in my hometown? I will probably apply this Summer and do more coursework mixed with other ECs in the Gap Year just in case this application cycle goes bad.

Could a 1-Year Masters help? I feel like more undergrad credits can help because Grad school GPA is separate

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to be competitive for MD, you need to either do a formal post-bacc or SMP to re-mediate your GPA. As it stands, your science GPA is too low even for some DO schools, and the downward GPA trend doesn't help either. As for DO schools, you stand a pretty good chance at most schools with your current stats. Make sure you apply broadly and early to at least 15 schools. Look through AACOM CIB (pdf available online) and check whether you meet all the requirements for each school (some schools have different pre-requisites such as biochemistry and genetics, and some require a DO LOR) and pick your schools from there.

A good plan might be to apply broadly for DO then. But I think doing a postbacc during that gap year could be a good backup if I don't get any love from DO schools cuz then I could prepare a better application after that

Would a formal post bacc or a DIY one be better?
Do you think going this route would be worth it over any of the Caribbean/Island schools even if it takes 1-2 years longer?

Members don't see this ad :)
A good plan might be to apply broadly for DO then. But I think doing a postbacc during that gap year could be a good backup if I don't get any love from DO schools cuz then I could prepare a better application after that

Would a formal post bacc or a DIY one be better?
Do you think going this route would be worth it over any of the Caribbean/Island schools even if it takes 1-2 years longer?
If you are solely focusing on DO schools, I would not suggest doing a post-bacc at all. As stated above, you stand a very good chance at most DO schools already, and post-bacc is in my opinion a waste for you. If you are willing to spend the money however, you may as well do a formal SMP with linkage (very important to have linkage). A good performance in one of these programs (ideally 3.7+) will make you very competitive even for MD schools. The drawbacks to doing a SMP, however, is the additional years and money. And lastly, any domestic medical schools are always better options than going abroad.

Concur 100%

If you want to be competitive for MD, you need to either do a formal post-bacc or SMP to re-mediate your GPA. As it stands, your science GPA is too low even for some DO schools, and the downward GPA trend doesn't help either. As for DO schools, you stand a pretty good chance at most schools with your current stats. Make sure you apply broadly and early to at least 15 schools. Look through AACOM CIB (pdf available online) and check whether you meet all the requirements for each school (some schools have different pre-requisites such as biochemistry and genetics, and some require a DO LOR) and pick your schools from there.

I think you'll find success with DOs. Apply to 20 and you'll get in somewhere. Do you have clinical experience?

I have a decent amount of clinical hours (100+), but I'm worried about that downwards trend shown in my last semester.

Which schools do not require a DO letter? I might be able to get an physician letter by June or July.

I still think I should still do an informal post bacc after applying just in case this cycle doesn't go good.

An SMP or Masters seems expensive and high risk if there is no strong linkage

Most DO schools do not require a DO letter. The only I know definitely does is Oklahoma State. I think KYCOM and MSU might require it as well, but I would look into that as they are both good programs you wouldn't want to pass up if they do not actually require one. If you can get one do it because it will help at any DO school to have one.
I would have a back-up plan for sure, but like others have said if you apply to ~20 DO schools you should get in unless you are extremely socially awkward. Best of luck, and by-the-way gj on the MCAT!

And what if I was looking into lower tier MDs?

What postbacc programs have good linkages?

Could I also do an informal one which includes 20-30 science credits?

Would any of the top 3 Caribbean schools be recommended??

So, when do people even consider Carib? Is it after attempting through multiple application cycles for US schools?

Apply DO and maybe a couple MDs for the hell of it. No Caribbean...those are far worse than any MD or DO in the US.

So, when do people even consider Carib? Is it after attempting through multiple application cycles for US schools?

People consider Caribbean when they don't know what happens to US IMGs during the residency process. It is a good way to find yourself hundreds of thousands in debt for nothing.

DO > carribean

plan to apply once with your best possible application. if that means doing a post-bac for a year to get your GPA up a bit for MD schools, do that. if you want to be a practicing physician in the united states as soon as possible, then applying to your in-state MD schools and DO schools this cycle is fine too, since you're competitive for the vast majority of DO schools now. shadow a DO and get a letter if you can

Reactions: 1 user
With around a 3.2 sgpa, would that be too low for osteopathic schools?

I want to try my chances at DO, along with in-state MD programs. But, would it benefit me to do an informal postbacc to add like 20 Science credits on there?

I considered an SMP, but I'm not sure if it's worth going out-of-state unless there is solid linkage.