DO 3.4/3.38

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DerArzt321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I just spoke with a well-known adcom on this site, and they gave me advice on my situation, but I'm wondering what some of you guys think. Also, I'm applying strictly to DO schools. Here's my story:

I'm about to graduate with a B.S. in psych and a minor in bio. My undergrad career can be described as rocky at best. I started off at a local university, in which I did merely OK and left that for a CC because I was able to get my tuition waived. I took my prereqs there and did extremely well (all As except for a B+ in an orgo lab).

I then transfered to a state university and I basically did awful. I was unable to focus, and as a result, I ended up taking and retaking a few UL bio classes to yield: a C, a B, a D+ and an F. So, I left that university for yet another (and final) one. At this current university I retook the D+ and F courses and received two B-s. I took more UL bio classes and got 2 C+s and 2 Bs.

So, although I have a cGPA of 3.45 and a sGPA of 3.39 (which is about average for a few DO schools), I have alot of "warts" on my transcripts. It took me 8 years to complete my degree due to a lack of maturity. I have failed about 4 courses in the past, but I retook all of them and got all B-s or higher, but I still have 3 Cs on my transcript. Considering this downward trend what do you guys think?

Also, I have yet to take the MCAT (I'm going to schedule for the August 22nd one because I need to make sure I'm going to ROCK it), but hypothetically, what do you guys think I should be shooting for, assuming that "510 is the new 30" as I've heard people say on here? Thanks ya'll!

BTW, I'm a MI resident, but I won't be applying to MSU because I respect my LoR writers too much to subject them to that weird system of their's.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you do well on your MCAT you have a decent to good chance because it will show you matured. If not, then your 8 yrs to graduate will destroy your app and will be reflected by your poor score on the MCAT (should you not score well).

Members don't see this ad :)
So apparently those stats were without grade replacement. My cGPA with grade replacement would be a 3.58, while my sGPA would be a 3.40. That's slightly better. However, I also just learned that I won't be able to qualify for financial aid as an undergrad if I decide to graduate this semester. Should I delay graduation in case I need to retake some of the classes that I got C's/B-s in, or would an extra year just be pointless (I have 3 UL bio classes that I could retake; 1 C+ and 2 B-s)? I re-calculated and if I retake the five classes (3 classes one semester, 2 another) in which I got C+s and B-s (assuming I got all As, which would be tough, no doubt), I could pull my GPA all the way up to cGPA 3.72 and sGPA 3.75. Is this worth delaying graduating and not applying for another full year?

So apparently those stats were without grade replacement. My cGPA with grade replacement would be a 3.58, while my sGPA would be a 3.40. That's slightly better. However, I also just learned that I won't be able to qualify for financial aid as an undergrad if I decide to graduate this semester. Should I delay graduation in case I need to retake some of the classes that I got C's/B-s in, or would an extra year just be pointless (I have 3 UL bio classes that I could retake; 1 C+ and 2 B-s)? I re-calculated and if I retake the five classes (3 classes one semester, 2 another) in which I got C+s and B-s (assuming I got all As, which would be tough, no doubt), I could pull my GPA all the way up to cGPA 3.72 and sGPA 3.75. Is this worth delaying graduating and not applying for another full year?
personally, I would focus on the MCAT. Anything above a 3.5 gpa is fine imo and already proves competence but then again...it did take you a long time. Your problem is it took you 8 years to do so which doesnt look good at all. I think more opinions are needed on this but again, I dont think retaking anymore classes will help your case. Rock the MCAT and you'll have a chance imo.

Thanks for the input, guys. It did take me quite a while, but I had to go part-time during the last 3 years to support myself (which hopefully, the adcoms will cut me a little slack here). For now, I guess I'll have to destroy the MCAT. I welcome any more opinions!

Thanks for the input, guys. It did take me quite a while, but I had to go part-time during the last 3 years to support myself (which hopefully, the adcoms will cut me a little slack here). For now, I guess I'll have to destroy the MCAT. I welcome any more opinions!
if you score at least a 25, you should be able to get into at least 1 DO school .

Would a 25 would be equivalent to about a 500 on the updated version?

Thanks, I'll give updates as I go. I've never filled out an AACOMAS app before, so I guess that's my next step when it opens in May. I'll find out more on the forums.

Quick question: Would it be worth taking one summer course if I could raise my sGPA from a 3.38 to 3.42/3.43? I would be retaking a biochem course to try to raise it from a B- to either an A/ A-. I would take micro over the summer since that was one of the ones I got a C in, but I think the extra time in lab would detract from studying for the MCAT. Also, retaking biochem and doing well in it can only help my performance on the bio section...

Only take them if you are sure you will do well, and are willing to bust your butt making that happen if need be. But yeah, I took summer courses to boost my GPA my sophomore year, they were part of my core requirements anyways but that let me do more during the year. I would recommend it if it wouldn't be too much of a burden, but definitely don't work that summer if you're doing that and the MCAT prep, you will be maxed out and something will have to give (most likely your MCAT prep).

Also FWIW I worked in a biochem lab full-time and did organic chem research on the side the semester before and summer I took the MCAT. It's doable, you just need to find down time during incubations etc and be really consistent/efficient with the time you do have.