3.4 cGPA 3.05 sGPA lots of extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonloblaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I am graduating for a prestigious public school with a degree in Political Science and a whole hell of a lot of science classes along the way.

First year: 3.5 gpa took the gen chem and bio
Second year: messed around too much and screwed up so 3.0 along with a C in Intro ochem, bacteriology, and parasitology and a D in second semester ochem
Last two years: got my act together, retook ochem 2 and got an AB, did well in physics. GPA for the last two years is 3.83 (with a lot of adnvaced level poli sci in there). I did take a two credit virology course and got a C because I really put minimal effort into it.
Lap semester: last semester of college. taking statistics and possibly physiology.

Taking the MCAT on June 20th. By my practices so far ive been getting 26-28 and intend to do way more obviously so I really plan to get that up to at least a 30.

Been doing research since 2007. First just statistical analysis at a medical school and now on a variety of studies at a hospital. Looks like I can get some good letters from the doctors I've worked with.

Lots of shadowing for the past two years with all the doctors I have worked with as well as a lot of clinical experience working.

Vice President of my fraternity.
4 years of consistent volunteering. (will get a letter from there too)

Only one letter from a hard science (immunology) but others from doctors, research coordinators, volunteer leaders, global health professors, and political science professors.

SO, I have been seriously considering doing an SMP to get that science gpa up. I am not sure if it is even worth it for me to apply this cycle because of my poor performance that second year.

Advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your cGPA isn't horrendous, but I think your sGPA is going to screen you out from a lot of schools. Also, you haven't taken your mcat yet either and an application like yours would benefit from getting in early on the application cycle. Also, as far as LOR's go, you need 2 science and 1 nonscience from your undergrad professor's minimum at most schools. Doesn't really matter how many other LOR's you can get from other people. I think you would benefit from a year of science GPA repair and making sure you get a good MCAT and that'll solidify your chances. Good luck!

Depends upon what your goals are. if you're committed to MD, then an SMP is a must. You're not competitive as is. For DO programs, you're barely competitive, thanks to that sGPA. However, merely re-taking any F/D/C science grades will do wonders for your GPAs, and make life a lot easier in applying to DO programs.

SO, I have been seriously considering doing an SMP to get that science gpa up. I am not sure if it is even worth it for me to apply this cycle because of my poor performance that second year.

Advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies! I don't think retaking my C classes is really an option at this point so SMP might be my best choice. As far as LoRs go, can you acquire those from professors at SMPs as well? Also, I am taking Neurobiology this coming last semester and hope to get to know the professor well and possibly get a letter there.