DO 3.4 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA...retakes needed for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeletor06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad, and have a question regarding where I stand. I'm finishing my pre-reqs this spring, and assuming I make a B in Organic II, I'll end up with a ~3.4 cGPA and a ~3.28 sGPA. I have lots of volunteer ECs from college, and an M.S. in Youth Development along with a several year position in pediatric psychology research and publications dealing with medical issues among youth. I am working on shadowing at least a couple of DOs this semester, along with the MD shadowing I already have, and I also have job experience in a psychiatric hospital setting.

I am only taking 8 hours of class this semester, as it is all I need to finish my pre-reqs. Assuming I take the MCAT in June and score, let's say, a 27 or higher, is it worth it to retake the C I have in Physics I and/or the C+ in Organic I over the first summer session, and submit in July?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non-trad, and have a question regarding where I stand. I'm finishing my pre-reqs this spring, and assuming I make a B in Organic II, I'll end up with a ~3.4 cGPA and a ~3.28 sGPA. I have lots of volunteer ECs from college, and an M.S. in Youth Development along with a several year position in pediatric psychology research and publications dealing with medical issues among youth. I am working on shadowing at least a couple of DOs this semester, along with the MD shadowing I already have, and I also have job experience in a psychiatric hospital setting.

I am only taking 8 hours of class this semester, as it is all I need to finish my pre-reqs. Assuming I take the MCAT in June and score, let's say, a 27 or higher, is it worth it to retake the C I have in Physics I and/or the C+ in Organic I over the first summer session, and submit in July?

Thanks for the advice!

I can't see any point in retaking anything you made a B in. I had a C in a 5 hour physics course and I'll probably retake it for an A and a letter if I don't get in this year because big hours and a low grade really do make a difference on that GPA. I have an excel sheet with all these hypothetical GPAs plotted out and it sure does make a prettier number in the event I do retake it...

I can't see any point in retaking anything you made a B in. I had a C in a 5 hour physics course and I'll probably retake it for an A and a letter if I don't get in this year because big hours and a low grade really do make a difference on that GPA. I have an excel sheet with all these hypothetical GPAs plotted out and it sure does make a prettier number in the event I do retake it...

Well, my main question was whether to retake the C from Physics I or the C+ from Organic I. Assuming I retook the physics grade and got an A, I'd end up with a 3.34 sGPA. Not sure it's worth the aggravation of a summer class (along with MCAT prep) to go from a 3.28 t0 a 3.34, but if it would really make a difference, I'd do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, my main question was whether to retake the C from Physics I or the C+ from Organic I. Assuming I retook the physics grade and got an A, I'd end up with a 3.34 sGPA. Not sure it's worth the aggravation of a summer class (along with MCAT prep) to go from a 3.28 t0 a 3.34, but if it would really make a difference, I'd do it.
It won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of thing... I would not bother retaking them since they might take away some time from your mcat preparation... I think 1-2 points increase in your MCAT score is a lot better than getting your sGPA from a 3.28 to a 3.34. An application with 3.4 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA and 26 MCAT would do better than one with 3.44 cGPA, 3.34 sGPA and 25 MCAT IMHO.

It won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of thing... I would not bother retaking them since they might take away some time from your mcat preparation... I think 1-2 points increase in your MCAT score is a lot better than getting your sGPA from a 3.28 to a 3.34. An application with 3.4 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA and 26 MCAT would do better than one with 3.44 cGPA, 3.34 sGPA and 25 MCAT IMHO.

I am in a very similar spot, exempt my science GPA is around a 3.1

I am planning on retaking a 4 credit Bio class, if that makes you feel any differently about retaking the class. If I were in your shoes, I would say just do baller on the MCAT.

Honestly....you've seen the difference it would make in your science GPA it's boost but not really skyrocketing it. I would focus on my MCAT and try to get higher than 27 then maybe your C's can be forgiven. As for right now if you apply broadly to DO and interview well you stand a fine chance.

I am in a very similar spot, exempt my science GPA is around a 3.1

I am planning on retaking a 4 credit Bio class, if that makes you feel any differently about retaking the class. If I were in your shoes, I would say just do baller on the MCAT.
I think you should try to get that c/sGPA to 3.2+; therefore, you might have to do 2-3 retakes to get it there... Then 25+ mcat should get you in somewhere and 28+ mcat will open more doors.

Last edited: