3.4 cGPA 3.4 sGPA 29 MCAT, URM, Tons of EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therameng

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in California, I am a URM, economically and medically disadvantaged, 30 year old non trad.

I had a GED with terrible grades when I first started taking classes. I'm finishing undergrad many years later.
-I been full time for last 1.5 years and have a 3.85 GPA at my university, but I have a 2.0 GPA from when I was 17 that is bringing my cumulative down a lot.
-I have been maintaining 20+ units a semester along with over a year of research and I'm working on 2 publications.
-10 years clinical experience as a a paramedic and allied health in multiple settings
-Over 100 hours of shadowing MD and DO
-Tons of hours volunteering and community service

I wanted to take the MCAT before it changed, but I only had 4 weeks to study because of summer classes. Also I have dyslexia but based on what I've read I feel like I would have been looked down upon if I asked for extra time on the MCAT. Now that I haven't asked for accommodations, I feel like it'd be worse if I took it again and requested them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's from DO, I haven't gotten my official AMCAS gpa yet (or used a calculator). Also the MCAT is an estimate based on practice tests. I'm Chilean (my father is not a citizen and lives in Chile.)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's from DO, I haven't gotten my official AMCAS gpa yet (or used a calculator). I'm Chilean (my father is not a citizen and lives in Chile.)
Chilenos are not generally considered under-represented in medicine. Language skills are still well received, though.
Your best chances are undeniably going to be OOS. Get the MSAR and find at least a dozen OOS schools that take a significant number of applicants with your stats (U of IL, Albany, Creighton...). Come back with your score and a list and we'll be happy to take a look. You're not planning to apply this cycle, are you?

I'm really late in the game because of school and work obligations, but I am applying this round and have already submitted. I figured I might as well try this round because I didn't take biochemistry and the new MCAT requires it. I'll do some OOS school research and add them to my application list though. Thank you for the input!