3.4 cGPA/31 MCAT/TX Resident, Chances for West Coast MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overachiever12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the early stages of interview season and was looking at applying to maybe one or two schools on the West Coast (pref. for Washington and Oregon). I realize my chances are nil, but where would I have the best chance of gaining an MD acceptance if I chose to apply?

Stats:

3.4 cGPA and sGPA
31 MCAT (11PS, 9VR, 11BS)
Decent EC's
African American Male (URM).

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in the early stages of interview season and was looking at applying to maybe one or two schools on the West Coast (pref. for Washington and Oregon). I realize my chances are nil, but where would I have the best chance of gaining an MD acceptance if I chose to apply?

Stats:

3.4 cGPA and sGPA
31 MCAT (11PS, 9VR, 11BS)
Decent EC's
African American Male (URM).
Private schools.

Private schools.

That would leave me with Stanford and UCSF (...Loma Linda wouldn't be a possibility for me as an atheist). Would I honestly have a better chance of getting into these two schools over University of Washington or Oregon Health Science?

Members don't see this ad :)
That would leave me with Stanford and UCSF (...Loma Linda wouldn't be a possibility for me as an atheist). Would I honestly have a better chance of getting into these two schools over University of Washington or Oregon Health Science?
UCSF is a public school.
Both U of W and OHSU have been known to accept UIM students from other states. Your residence in TX however, does reduce the chance that you will be interviewed by OOS schools.

UCSF is a public school.
Both U of W and OHSU have been known to accept UIM students from other states. Your residence in TX however, does reduce the chance that you will be interviewed by OOS schools.

So, in your opinion, would it be a waste of time and money to apply to these schools?

So, in your opinion, would it be a waste of time and money to apply to these schools?
Low yield but not impossible. It depends on how much $ you want to risk.
OOS schools tend not to interview TX applicants unless they are willing to offer them recruitment $. If you believe yourself to be scholarship material, then go ahead and risk it.

Low yield but not impossible. It depends on how much $ you want to risk.
OOS schools tend not to interview TX applicants unless they are willing to offer them recruitment $. If you believe yourself to be scholarship material, then go ahead and risk it.

Thank you!