3.4 GPA, 35 MCAT, need advice/ game plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgenes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short I have a good MCAT but an "ehh" GPA.
My cumulative GPA is nearly 3.5 (3.497 to be exact). My biology chem physics math GPA is only a 3.4
I did well on the MCAT and scored a 35 (9PS, 13BS, 13VR)
I did not do well in physics and chem (B's and C's). I also have 2 W's and a P on my transcript (not sure how bad that is).
I did do very well in bio, which was my major. I took tons of upper division bio classes and had a 3.9 major GPA.
I don't know if I should apply this year or if I should do a master's program. Do I need a master's program? Post-bacc will not help me as I have sooo many credits, my undergrad GPA is not going anywhere. I've also already taken most of the upper division bio classes, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Much thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and respond!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you counting your upper division bio classes in your science GPA? Because you should.

EC's? Clinical experience/shadowing?

If EC's/clinical exposure is solid then I would recommend applying low-tier MD schools early with a solid PS and you could get in.

If not, however, retake those previous classes you got B's and C's on and look for grade replacement options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you counting your upper division bio classes in your science GPA? Because you should.

yes that's the GPA with all bio, chem, math and physics coursework included. Unfortunately the C's on my transcript drag it down

EC's? Clinical experience/shadowing?

If EC's/clinical exposure is solid then I would recommend applying low-tier MD schools early with a solid PS and you could get in.

If not, however, retake those previous classes you got B's and C's on and look for grade replacement options.

I've been told my activities are good. Lots of clinical volunteering, shadowing and regular volunteering. As well as leadership experience and work experience (I'm non-trad so I've been working in the medical field).

I thought MD schools don't do grade replacement? I'm not at all opposed to the DO route but would prefer MD simply because I would like to do academic medicine and have been told (by both DOs and MDs) that I will have an easier time achieving my career goals if I go the MD route.

I've been told my activities are good. Lots of clinical volunteering, shadowing and regular volunteering. As well as leadership experience and work experience (I'm non-trad so I've been working in the medical field).

I thought MD schools don't do grade replacement? I'm not at all opposed to the DO route but would prefer MD simply because I would like to do academic medicine and have been told (by both DOs and MDs) that I will have an easier time achieving my career goals if I go the MD route.

What you've heard is true it is easier to do academic med the MD route :).