3.43/3.1-3.2 took MCAT twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted739406

I haven't posted much so this may or may not be the best place to put this but I would greatly appreciate some advice on what I should do with my particular situation.

So I just graduated from a top 25 undergrad institution with a cgpa of 3.43 and a sgpa somewhere between a 3.1 and a 3.2. I took the MCAT last year and scored a 496 so I retook it this past April in hopes of doing better and entering an smp. Unfortunately my score dropped a couple points even though I felt much better about my score after taking it again. Although I haven't received my decisions yet for the Masters programs I applied to I'm assuming my chances are basically shot. I am definitely open to DO and so I was planning on retaking science courses that I received a C in this fall as well as study and retake the MCAT next spring and apply next cycle. Would this be my best option?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to figure out why your MCAT scores are so low. A drop in a poor first score will not be viewed kindly. How have you been preparing? Honestly you need a 505+ on a retake to even be competative at some of the newer DO schools IMO.

You need to figure out why your MCAT scores are so low. A drop in a poor first score will not be viewed kindly. How have you been preparing? Honestly you need a 505+ on a retake to even be competative at some of the newer DO schools IMO.
I've been reading through the Kaplan prep books and taking notes and then I took 4 or 5 practice tests before the real thing. I'll have much more time to prepare now that I'm graduated and can solely focus on the MCAT.

What options do I have in terms of making my GPA competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the coming year take some science courses at a local college. They do not need to be difficult courses, rather courses that you believe you can receive A's in. Your main problem is your poor MCAT scores. You need to raise your MCAT above 500 AND increase your GPA to have a chance at a few DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
In the coming year take some science courses at a local college. They do not need to be difficult courses, rather courses that you believe you can receive A's in. Your main problem is your poor MCAT scores. You need to raise your MCAT above 500 AND increase your GPA to have a chance at a few DO schools.
Does where I take it matter? I've heard a lot about how taking science classes at community college is frowned upon so would it be better at a 4 year college/university or does it not really make a difference?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SDN mobile

Honestly I think your GPA is actually fairly close to competative. Maybe retake some C's at a CC to get the sGPA above 3.3. The MCAT is your biggest deficit. If you had a 505+ then the advice would be to apply broadly because you would be decently competative, but with such low scores your chances are minimal. Put all your focus into studying for the MCAT and only take it when you are hitting your target scores on your practice tests. What were your practice test scores?

Honestly I think your GPA is actually fairly close to competative. Maybe retake some C's at a CC to get the sGPA above 3.3. The MCAT is your biggest deficit. If you had a 505+ then the advice would be to apply broadly because you would be decently competative, but with such low scores your chances are minimal. Put all your focus into studying for the MCAT and only take it when you are hitting your target scores on your practice tests. What were your practice test scores?
I was scoring between 503-506 on the five practice tests I took so I was fairly confident I would do at least decent for DO and certainly much better than my first time around. I actually felt good about it after I took it but I have no idea what happened, I was devastated to see my score.

In terms of my gpa, thanks for your advice. I was planning on doing just that rather than enrolling in a formal post-bacc that is probably double the cost.

@Goro , I've seen you give some good advice. Anything you could offer me here? @AnatomyGrey12 and @Faha have been very helpful but more opinions are always appreciated.

I cna't recommend medical school with an MCAT history like that. You'd be autoreject at my school.
I certainly wasn't expecting an answer like that. I still want to do whatever I can to give me a shot at medical school. Would retaking classes like others suggested be the best option for my GPA or is a formal post-bacc a better idea?

Have you read any replies? It's not really your GPAs. It is your MCAT scores. They just are not competitive. You can certainly do grade repair but at some point you have to retake the MCAT and score 505+. The higher the better. That would be at least a 10 point jump and that will not be easy to do.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Have you read any replies? It's not really your GPAs. It is your MCAT scores. They just are not competitive. You can certainly do grade repair but at some point you have to retake the MCAT and score 505+. The higher the better. That would be at least a 10 point jump and that will not be easy to do.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
My MCAT certainly should be and is my main priority. I just wanted to make sure that I'm doing what's best to fix my gpa in order to apply next cycle. I will be putting as much work as possible into getting a good score on the MCAT next spring. Thank you for your input I really appreciate it!