3.45 cGPA 3.35 sGPA 32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wittig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The only thing that differs physically is the OMT. You don't like that?
Your stats are similar to mines, although mine is a little higher, no MCAT and I have 2 more years to go.
Yes Columbian I believe is URM, so you do have a higher chance of getting an interview.
I think that you have a decent chance of getting accepted this year if you apply broad and early.
Do you have a school list of which you are planning to apply too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait I just read NO Shadowing or sufficient volunteering in a medical setting and little to no ECs.
You honestly have no chance, even with URM status you are competing against a growing crowd of qualified applicants.
Don't apply this year. Wait it out and get some EC's and volunteering in.
MD will be very hard to bank on if you have little to no EC's and a marginal GPA (not bad, just marginal).

URM. Ready to apply.

Wait I just read NO Shadowing or sufficient volunteering in a medical setting and little to no ECs.
You honestly have no chance, even with URM status you are competing against a growing crowd of qualified applicants.
MD will be very hard to bank on if you have little to no EC's and a marginal GPA (not bad, just marginal).

:confused: can anyone else chime in?

:confused: can anyone else chime in?

I agree with the above. Where are your ECs? Without that experience, adcoms are going to be wondering how you know you're truly into medicine. You need shadowing/volunteering under your belt. And your grades.. I don't think they are enough for MD, in comparison to others.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

no research + no shadowing + no clinical + scant EC's + poor GPA = no chance.

oh wait, you're an URM. In at Hopkins.

no research + no shadowing + no clinical + scant EC's + poor GPA = no chance.

oh wait, you're an URM. In at Hopkins.

I agree with the above. Where are your ECs? Without that experience, adcoms are going to be wondering how you know you're truly into medicine. You need shadowing/volunteering under your belt. And your grades.. I don't think they are enough for MD, in comparison to others.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

...Why does every other post give the opposite advice? Really confused right now...

He said he has been working as an EMT for 2 years.

He can probably spin the volunteer club into a decent EC even though he says he only went to one or two events with them.

He has various sports to list.

I would not say he has no EC's.

^ then he'll be playing himself for doom. Adcoms receive a bunch of apps from URM's who are much more qualified EC-wise. Most of them have stats around or above OP. He does not stand a good chance. Hospital volunteering is a must since schools would not want to take a risk with someone who does not have a lot of medical experience (EMT is good, but from what I've heard, kind of common). I also have very little shadowing and I consider it a must-have as a doctor's daily routines greatly vary with what you have encountered as an EMT. Don't listen to these people on URM status. It's getting much harder every year and more of them are getting more qualified. Take a year off to strengthen your app instead of wasting money and apply next year. I'm sure if you get a good amount of shadowing and volunteering in, you can get an interview and acceptance if the interview goes well.
GL.

Hi guys first time poster hoping to apply this year, currently
Undergrad institution: state school ranked within the top 75
3.45 cumulative GPA - With an upward trend - went from high 2's to 3.5-3.7's
3.35 science GPA
32 MCAT (12 BS 10 VR 10 PS)

Biology major psych minor

Extra Curricular's:
-Member of a volunteer club at school - not on the board though
-part of 2 intramural sports teams
-been volunteering at an EMS squad for 2 years for 1 night per week. Just recently got my EMT-B certification and have been able to go on calls for most of the 2 years I've been there
-I have not done any shadowing, have never volunteered in a hospital, and outside of the 1-2 volunteer events my club hosts and whatever else I listed above, I don't have anything to add to my extra curricular activities

Letters of Recommendation:
3 science 2 non science - however I do not know how strong these letters are because I wasn't in contact with the professors much until I asked for a letter.

About me:
I am Colombian - so that puts me in the under represented minority field correct? Also, I really want to go to an MD school not a DO school because I do not agree with the DO philosophy.

I respectfully think that your URM status isn't going to make up for your stats and mediocre ECs. I recommend you try to improve both of your GPAs as well as your relatively low MCAT score before you worry about your chances.

...Why does every other post give the opposite advice? Really confused right now...

People are making jokes about URM status. Ignore them.

He said he has been working as an EMT for 2 years.

He can probably spin the volunteer club into a decent EC even though he says he only went to one or two events with them.

He has various sports to list.

I would not say he has no EC's.

You're right in that he has some ECs... but it's not enough, especially with his GPA.

wow that is a real shock to me..ok...can someone please recommend how I can go about fixing this? Also @ varsityblue, a 32 on the MCAT is low I thought I was ok there?? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You still have time to boost up your volunteering hours, and your GPA with 2-3 upper-level science courses between now and when you apply this summer. You will have a hard time getting an MD invite with your few EC's and sub-3.5 GPA.

wow that is a real shock to me..ok...can someone please recommend how I can go about fixing this? Also @ varsityblue, a 32 on the MCAT is low I thought I was ok there?? :(

A 32 is a good score, especially since you scored double digits in all three sections. Concentrate on improving your app with some clinical volunteering and shadowing a doctor.

Also @ varsityblue, a 32 on the MCAT is low I thought I was ok there??

A 32 is spot on average, so if you had an average to competitive GPA, you would be okay there. Given the poor GPA, it is a shame you don't have a higher MCAT to compensate. That's all.

1). Try and up the sGPA with some post-bacc, upper level sciences and bios. I think the average science GPA for matriculants is around a 3.6.

2). Get 100-150 hours of clinical volunteering in a hospital and 50-60 hours shadowing 1-2 doctors, at least one in primary care.

A 32 is definitely not too low, no need to retake. Your sGPA needs to improve some more if you want to go MD, although you have a great upward trend going for you.

OP, you need to spend at least 1 year with extensive volunteering and shadowing preferably in disadvantaged/undeserved communities (it will play in favor with your URM status). It is very true that your lack of ECs will kill your chances. The average applicant to MD schools has a 1.5 year clinical experience. Please visit my MDapps and read the section where I talk about ECs and LORs. I don't want to type the same thing over and over again but I think there are certain tips in there to help you start on your extra curricular activities. I can assure you that with strong ECs your slightly below average GPA can be compensated especially at schools with a holistic perspective. Good job on the MCAT! Don't get riled up in the SDN hype a 32 on the MCAT is very decent.

OP really needs to learn the use of sarcasm (staple humor of physicians/residents/medstudents)... too many jokes went right over his/her head.

With that said, I think you are good to go, apply this June early and get a bit of shadowing in the mean time if you can, shadowing is overrated on this forum as many committee members know applicants embellish these experiences on their apps and really all we do is slow down busy physicians. Also, mention your bloodline tracing back to pablo escobar and you are in!!!!

I respectfully think that your URM status isn't going to make up for your stats and mediocre ECs. I recommend you try to improve both of your GPAs as well as your relatively low MCAT score before you worry about your chances.
I saw this post and I was like, "Relatively low??? WTH?" But then I saw who wrote it...not surprised. :rolleyes:

OP, why not complete some shadowing and hospital volunteering this semester before you apply in the summer? You still have time to get it in and it can only help.

Good luck EC-wise, you need way more longitudinal ECs!

A MCAT score of 32 places OP squarely in the 70th percentile. If "relatively low" sounds offensive to some of the posters here, maybe pick up a prep book and get to work. I wish OP the best of luck on his/her journey.

No offense, but you haven't even taken the MCAT yet, and you've been on SDN barely a month. 32 MCAT is just fine. I've seen tons of pre-meds with that (and better) get into medical school. Why don't you tone it down before you assume you know more than the veterans of this website - and I'm not talking about me; I'm talking about others.

No offense, but you haven't even taken the MCAT yet, and you've been on SDN barely a month. 32 MCAT is just fine. I've seen tons of pre-meds with that (and better) get into medical school. Why don't you tone it down before you assume you know more than the veterans of this website - and I'm not talking about me; I'm talking about others.

But I have taken around thirty other standardized tests.

I never said that I knew more, just that 32 isn't as high as it can be. If you scrolled up, you'd see that my tone wasn't inflammatory until a bunch of people with mediocre stats/ECs got PMSy for no reason whatosever. If people want to risk rejection with RELATIVELY LOW MCAT scores, it's NOT MY PROBLEM. I made it clear to OP that he/she could do stuff to IMPROVE HIS/HER CHANCEs but in no way am DEMANDING or RECOMMENDING FORCEFULLY that OP do so. I wish everyone here the best of luck.

Sorry, when has 83.9-87.9% been considered "strong"? (My proof: Princeton Review's VR workbook p. 7)

You specifically stated that a 32 puts OP in the 70th percentile.

Your post was incorrect.

Now you bring up whether that percentile is "strong" which is essentially a pathetic attempt at a straw man argument. You may need to take some critical thinking classes before taking your MCAT.

You specifically stated that a 32 puts OP in the 70th percentile.

Your post was incorrect.

Now you bring up whether that percentile is "strong" which is essentially a pathetic attempt at a straw man argument. You may need to take some critical thinking classes before taking your MCAT.

Don't you dare get condescending.

Two separate issues here:
1) PR's workbook specifically states that a 32 is in the 70th percentile.
2) This book was published in 2010 so it's possible that percentiles may have changed in accordance with a new wave of AAMC testing.

A 32 is a LOW score.

Don't you dare get condescending.

Two separate issues here:
1) PR's workbook specifically states that a 32 is in the 70th percentile.
2) This book was published in 2010 so it's possible that percentiles may have changed in accordance with a new wave of AAMC testing.

A 32 is a LOW score.
In 2010 a 32 was in the 84.5─88.4 percentile.

This took about 5 seconds on Google.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/157904/data/combined10.pdf

Don't I dare get condescending? What would be the repercussion? Would you post more misinformation?

I never said that I knew more, just that 32 isn't as high as it can be. If you scrolled up, you'd see that my tone wasn't inflammatory until a bunch of people with mediocre stats/ECs got PMSy for no reason whatosever. If people want to risk rejection with RELATIVELY LOW MCAT scores, it's NOT MY PROBLEM. I made it clear to OP that he/she could do stuff to IMPROVE HIS/HER CHANCEs but in no way am DEMANDING or RECOMMENDING FORCEFULLY that OP do so. I wish everyone here the best of luck.

The MCAT is far different from other standardized tests. Sure, I've taken other standardized tests, too. I'm from NY. The damn Regents tests we take followed me around every semester. But they're nothing compared to the MCAT. And yes, 32 is not the highest. There's always room for improvement.

And honestly, enough with the caps lock. I'm not getting angry, but clearly you are. And I'm sorry, but I don't believe - and many others feel the same - that a 32 is not a relatively low MCAT score. Not all of us are shooting for a 45, because we know that's almost impossible, sans locking yourself up in a room for 6 months to only study the MCAT and sleep.

Sorry, when has 83.9-87.9% been considered "strong"? (My proof: Princeton Review's VR workbook p. 7)

Sorry, when has 83.9-87.9% been considered "relatively low"? I don't have that Princeton book, nor do I care what your review book says. A 84-88% chance is not relatively low.

And OP, I know plenty of people who got in with 32 MCAT. Is it high? No. Will it land you in a top 10 with your current ECs? No. It is, however, a decent enough score to get you into a school. I would focus on your ECs and getting the highest grades possible for your upcoming semesters. You really need to get started on your clinicals asap. Shadow doctors and get a position where you can have some patient contact in a hospital setting. Select your schools carefully and good luck

It will make up for it. I've recently heard of a URM with a 27 MCAT and 3.1 that was accepted to a MD program (not carribean).

GPA is a little low, but the MCAT score is definitely solid. The ECs are definitely on the weak side though, no research or shadowing. You do have EMS work, although it's not the same thing as hospital volunteering, if you really emphasize your interactions with patients I think it may suffice. I think if you get some shadowing in now (50+ hours) you have a decent chance of getting accepted somewhere, despite lack of research experience.

Edit: His MCAT score is definitely not low and he scored 10 or higher in every section. I'm pretty sure 32 is the national average for all that matriculate, so it's definitely solid, I know a non-urm that was accepted to Hopkins with a 32. Also I believe the national average for URMs that matriculate is around 28, so his 32 will definitely be looked at as a good score.

Last edited:
Don't I dare get condescending? What would be the repercussion? Would you post more misinformation?

I wonder too... haha. I usually don't get involved in "discussions" like this, with people like that, but in effort to keep OP from misinformation and discouragement, I thought I would chime in.

+1 :thumbup:

No worries, only a matter of time before she sees the banhammer.

no offense, but you haven't even taken the mcat yet, and you've been on sdn barely a month. 32 mcat is just fine. I've seen tons of pre-meds with that (and better) get into medical school. Why don't you tone it down before you assume you know more than the veterans of this website - and i'm not talking about me; i'm talking about others.

+1 :thumbup:

No worries, only a matter of time before she sees the banhammer.

+1

I say again..disregard ANYTHING from varsityblue... I declare she be banished to the SDN lurker swamp whence she came. To the abyss with thee!

Just so we're clear...would you mind listing the 30 other standardized tests you've taken?

Just so we're clear...would you mind listing the 30 other standardized tests you've taken?

I was thinking the same thing lol seriously who is this varsity tool someone please ban her.

OP,

Based on Sector9's analysis (looking at your application purely from a stats POV), you have ~80% chance of getting in somewhere. Link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625

I am assuming 1 night/wk = (atleast) 8 hrs with respect to the EMS.

1) Shadow some doctors or volunteer this semester.
2) Do well this semester and keep up the upward trend.
3) Write your PS, secondary essays well. A little bit is going to depend on how you talk about your (limited) experiences. How it affected your decision, what you took away from it, how it will make you a good physician etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Don't worry about varsityblue. She is 19 and takes the MCAT in one year lol. A 32 is fine. I got 11 interviews (2 MD, 9 DO) with a 28 and a 3.3

She has been on SDN for barely a month and already has 0.5 thousand posts!

Hi guys first time poster hoping to apply this year, currently
Undergrad institution: state school ranked within the top 75
3.45 cumulative GPA - With an upward trend - went from high 2's to 3.5-3.7's
3.35 science GPA
32 MCAT (12 BS 10 VR 10 PS)

Biology major psych minor

Extra Curricular's:
-Member of a volunteer club at school - not on the board though
-part of 2 intramural sports teams
-been volunteering at an EMS squad for 2 years for 1 night per week. Just recently got my EMT-B certification and have been able to go on calls for most of the 2 years I've been there
-I have not done any shadowing, have never volunteered in a hospital, and outside of the 1-2 volunteer events my club hosts and whatever else I listed above, I don't have anything to add to my extra curricular activities

Letters of Recommendation:
3 science 2 non science - however I do not know how strong these letters are because I wasn't in contact with the professors much until I asked for a letter.

About me:
I am Colombian - so that puts me in the under represented minority field correct? Also, I really want to go to an MD school not a DO school because I do not agree with the DO philosophy.

I think you should go for it! As long as you are savvy in picking the schools on your list you should definitely get some interviews. Rescue squad volunteering is an excellent way to get experience in working with patients and seeing a variety of illnesses and injuries. That along with MD shadowing should be fine. As for your mcat score, look at school averages. You are above average for a number of schools. Good luck!