3.45 GPA, 34 MCAT, Currently applying and seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callthedocta15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am trying hard not to be neurotic, but I am currently in the middle of applying (complete late-August/early-September) and have not received any interviews (2 holds/1 rejection) out of 18 MD schools so it's been tough to keep my emotions in check.

In terms of my stats, my 3.45 does not involve any sort of trend but shows that I am capable of doing well in difficult courses (Most of my pre-reqs were done in honors courses at a top-30 university). Also, my MCAT score of 34 is evenly distributed.

In terms of my extracurricular, I am a non-trad (out of college for 2 years doing research), and I have extensive experience in both basic science and clinical research with an n-author publication. I also have a decent amount (200 hrs) of hospital volunteering and ~50 hours of shadowing among other activities, and lots of church involvement and leadership responsibilities.

So, it's now late October, and I am starting to worry that I won't even receive any interviews. Are my worries warranted? Should I start coming up with a back-up plan for the next cycle (getting my GPA up/getting more hospital experience)? Should I apply DO?

Any advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Similar stats and similar complete date. Do you have a school list?

Einstein, BU (rejection), Buffalo, Cinn, Downstate, Drexel (hold), GW, Hofstra, Jefferson, Maryland, NYMC, Stony Brook, Temple, Tufts, Tulane, Upstate (hold), VCU, Vermont

NY State Resident

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am trying hard not to be neurotic, but I am currently in the middle of applying (complete late-August/early-September) and have not received any interviews (2 holds/1 rejection) out of 18 MD schools so it's been tough to keep my emotions in check.

In terms of my stats, my 3.45 does not involve any sort of trend but shows that I am capable of doing well in difficult courses (Most of my pre-reqs were done in honors courses at a top-30 university). Also, my MCAT score of 34 is evenly distributed.

In terms of my extracurricular, I am a non-trad (out of college for 2 years doing research), and I have extensive experience in both basic science and clinical research with an n-author publication. I also have a decent amount (200 hrs) of hospital volunteering and ~50 hours of shadowing among other activities, and lots of church involvement and leadership responsibilities.

So, it's now late October, and I am starting to worry that I won't even receive any interviews. Are my worries warranted? Should I start coming up with a back-up plan for the next cycle (getting my GPA up/getting more hospital experience)? Should I apply DO?

Any advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

this is the only reason that i can think of...completed in august/september is a bit late. other than that, your stats are good, and your ECs are even better...so i really think that you applied later than you should have.

but hey, we are still early in the cycle, so keep your head up!

Thanks for the encouraging words, aspiring20. I submitted early July (which I thought was still considered early) and didn't receive secondaries until late August.

You were not late in submitting but you were also not early. This means that you may have to wait a little longer to hear anything. Also, your GPA is on the low side for MD programs but your MCAT and ECs look good. Unfortunately, all you can do is hang in there and cross your fingers. It is not uncommon for people to get II as late as January. You still have a shot.