MD & DO 3.45c, 3.31s, non-traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grace184

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PA resident

No MCAT yet- looking for help on what may make me most competitive (0bviously I am going to do the best I can!)

PharmD- 2 year post doctoral residency, dual board certified in psych/neurology and critical care.
Adjunct teaching faculty at a pharmacy/medical school 3 years (no, not in PA)- taught neuropsych and Step 1 board prep (cardio pharm portion)

Pharmacy preceptor for student rotations

3 publications- 2 first author, 1 second author

I have also run several volunteer clinics

My question also is this: I really haven't "shadowed" DO/MD, I round with them so I am acutely aware of their responsibilities. Should I still do this just to "do it?" Or would my experience be acceptable?

And (if this comes up in the questions to follow) my desire to become a physician comes from a place of wanting to learn more about disease states and be able to be more hands on. I would love to specialize in epilepsy- specifically peds- those are the hardest cases I see but I love the success stories.

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually a re applicant- I applied MD/Some DO late in the cycle- my jan 2014 MCAT was 8ps 7vr 9bs. I didn't understand the "cycle" and am more aware this year. Taking MCAT early July.

My sGPA will actually go up on the new aacomas since pharm is considered science (as it should be).

Thoughts on schools that Are within range after bringing up MCAT or will open to my background in academia/clinical pharmacy?

I think your experience suffices as "shadowing" is concerned. Really the problem is the MCAT and the timing of your application. Even with the 24, you could snag a program if you apply very early. I strongly suggest that you retake and score above a 27 because the GPAs are not bad and could open the door to better programs.

Thank you for your reply... Yeah I took last years with MCAT with about a weeks prep and won't make that mistake again! Do you think it's wise to submit my aacomas with a pending test date just to "get it in there"? Again, I'm taking it in August (had to take a state pharm law liscense board in July)