MD & DO 3.45c/3.59s/35...should I apply or wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't applied yet, still finishing my PS. Need to submit ASAP though. Stats are as follows:

cGPA: 3.45
sGPA: 3.59
MCAT 1st attempt: 31
MCAT 2nd attempt: 35

35 hours hospital volunteering
80 hours of ER scribe work "thus far"
~500 hours volunteering at homeless shelter & teaching mentally disabled children
5 months research "thus far"

I have put ER scribe work and research hours as "thus far" because I am continuing to do those activities while I apply, so I anticipate those hours to grow.

School list anyone? Is it worth applying to GW and Georgetown btw?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you haven't applied yet, have you thought about waiting until next year so that 1.) you have more clinical and research experience 2.) you can be as early as possible.

Also, any shadowing?

If you haven't applied yet, have you thought about waiting until next year so that 1.) you have more clinical and research experience 2.) you can be as early as possible.

Also, any shadowing?

Yeah, I'm thinking about taking another year but I really don't want to. All my friends are applying and I don't want to be behind :( Would applying now be late?

I shadowed a doctor once for 8 hours. I don't think I'm going to put that on my application though because it looks silly. How much shadowing should I get?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm thinking about taking another year but I really don't want to. All my friends are applying and I don't want to be behind :( Would applying now be late?

I shadowed a doctor once for 8 hours. I don't think I'm going to put that on my application though because it looks silly. How much shadowing should I get?

Maybe consult some adcoms because I don't want to deter you wrongly. It is getting late in the cycle, and your GPA is below average, as is your clinical experience. 2nd MCAT is excellent though. I have a feeling your application will be much stronger if you wait until next year, and you'll be able to submit on the first day. You wanna apply with the strongest possible application.

For shadowing, I'd mention the 8 hours, why not. Generally it is advised to get ~50 hours across a couple specialties and primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn , @LizzyM , @Goro

Should I apply now or wait a year? I'm sort of against waiting a year but I'd appreciate advice.

Also, I'm not going to apply to too many research heavy schools as academic medicine is not something that I'm that interested in. Would love to hear some feedback on this.

What is your state of residence and do you have any connections to states where you are not a resident (attended school, family, etc.)?

I would make an attempt. 35 on MCAT, some med school can call you over for an interview. :)