3.47 Science GPA, 3.49 Overall, 30 MCAT chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSU Frat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys here are my stats. Looking to apply to all schools in Michigan and Chicago area. Michigan resident and currently a junior at Michigan State University. I am also in a social fraternity and was wondering if that would hurt my chances. I know my academic stats are below the median for most MD schools, but do give your honest opinion on my chances at the schools I'm interested in.

Academics:
3.47 Science gpa
3.49 Overall gpa
30 MCAT

Extra Curricular:
1 year of research at MSU Department of Surgery on a clinical trial
hospital volunteering during the school year and summer for 2.5 years
consistently shadowed a ENT DO for a year (he's my mentor and will write a great rec letter)
Executive board for two student organizations
Philanthropy chair for my social fraternity for 3 semesters (lots of charities, fundraisers, and events and was responsible for hosting events that raised over $7000 in my time at the position) devoted a great deal of time into my fraternity

Members don't see this ad.

That will the GPA that goes into AMCAS, I plan on submitting within the first couple days when you can submit AMCAS around first week of June, Im retaking the MCAT on May 17 so whenever that score gets in it will be added to my AMCAS app.

I know as an out of stater, those stats are on the lower end of the Chicago schools. Focus on Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, and maybe Rush. For DO, Midwestern is ridiculously expensive compared to MSU, but it's up to you.

Aim for low-tier MD schools only; all schools in MI except U MI, and any DO program.

Hey guys here are my stats. Looking to apply to all schools in Michigan and Chicago area. Michigan resident and currently a junior at Michigan State University. I am also in a social fraternity and was wondering if that would hurt my chances. I know my academic stats are below the median for most MD schools, but do give your honest opinion on my chances at the schools I'm interested in.

Academics:
3.47 Science gpa
3.49 Overall gpa
30 MCAT

Extra Curricular:
1 year of research at MSU Department of Surgery on a clinical trial
hospital volunteering during the school year and summer for 2.5 years
consistently shadowed a ENT DO for a year (he's my mentor and will write a great rec letter)
Executive board for two student organizations
Philanthropy chair for my social fraternity for 3 semesters (lots of charities, fundraisers, and events and was responsible for hosting events that raised over $7000 in my time at the position) devoted a great deal of time into my fraternity

Reactions: 1 user