3.4oGPA, 3.1 science gpa, 22 AA DAT, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LowGPAMarylandDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
REALIZED I PROBABLY POSTED IN THE WRONG SECTION, SORRYYYY. IF ITS NOT RELEVANT, CAN A MOD JUST DELETE THIS? IDK HOW TO

Hey guys,
So I'm getting ready to apply this cycle and im kinda worried as to what I should do.
Im a senior (graduating fall 2016 tho because of a lame requirement issue)

I go to a maryland university and am a maryland resident

Overall GPA 3.4
Science GPA ~3.1-3.2 (based on this upcoming semester's grades)
DAT 22 AA
....Multiple Cs' in (3 Total, 1 D in cell bio retaken to a B >.>)
Trend is all over the place. Good some semesters, bad some, no real upward trend. I'm hoping to get a 4.0 in my last semester but idk if that means much.

Shadowing hours: Will be around ~110
Volunteer Hours: ~200 hours
Leadership: On 3 different clubs, soccer intramural team captain 1 year

So basically I was going to apply this upcoming cycle but im really worried as to wut to do because my science GPA is so low. Should I not even bother applying and wait till I graduate in fall? I was going to take more science calsses in fall to boost by science gpa up to like a mid 3.2/possible low 3.3

OR should I just stay that whole extra year (5th year of undergrad) and try to hit a 3.4 science gpa? My school isn't too expensive so its a possibility. But wouldn't it raise questions since I took so long to finish?

Any chance I'll get in if I apply early this summer?

School List:
Maryland, Howard, MW Arizona, Temple, Lecom...dont really know where to go from here (kinda hesitant about lecom too)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would 100% go for it and apply this year. I got in with very similar stats, your GPA is even slightly better. In terms of where to apply, I just went with schools I liked that have a high out of state acceptance rate. Worst case you don't get in and you work for a year and improve your application (more volunteering, job in dental field etc.). Also wouldn't be a bad idea to call Maryland (assuming that is your top choice) and see what their admissions people advise you to do. Good Luck!