3.5 cGPA and 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avi530

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
h

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to all DO programs as you can do, and only the lowest of the MD low-tiers. The 28 is pretty much a deal breaker for MD schools.

Hey guys I have a 3.5 cumulative GPA at a UC and have a very strong upward trend. All As my 4th year taking hard physiology courses. I just got my MCAT scores back and I scored a
VR: 8 PS: 10 and BS: 10. I have two full years at a free clinic that is affiliated with the UC Davis Medical School (in which I held a leadership position) have a full year of autism clinical research, ~100 hours of hospital time, and shadowed a cardiologist for about another ~100 hours. I have worked through out college as well and have been a student ambassador for Sony Electronics. I am going to apply to DO as well as a back up but I am open to applying VERY broadly this cycle. I have already submitted my primary and should be verified here in a few days. I have already applied to NYMC when I submitted my primary and got a secondary. What schools do I even have a shot at? Are my chances pretty much zero for getting in?

Thanks guys

any thing else guys? I know its pretty much a long shot but i have SOME chance right??

Borderline MCAT scores with an average GPA are less probable than a coin toss, if you base it purely on GPA/MCAT. If money isn't an issue, you should still try to apply to a few reach schools. Don't expect any love from schools like Ivy's though :p

In "some" cases, if you're from a URM background, were raised under unique circumstances, or have other experiences that really set you apart from other "average" applicants with similar stats, the secondary can get your foot in the door with an interview. I know non-URMs who have gotten into UCs with a 28/29 MCAT because of their amazing personal statements, experiences, and devotion to a future in a specific field. I also know folks with perfect stats getting in nowhere, despite the fact that everyone here would tell them that a 'low to mid tier' school is a safety/they should have no issues in their application cycle. Since you already applied, you can't really do anything but rock those secondaries, and hope for the opportunity to really set yourself apart in interviews.

If it doesn't work out, raise your score, consider taking some supplemental courses, or look into focusing on ECs that you are passionate about. :D